The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SM7B Vs. RE320 for tenor male vocals Dynamic Microphones
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
SM7B Vs. RE320 for tenor male vocals

Hi guys,
I'm in the market for a detailed, condenser-like dynamic vocal mic for my poorly treated bedroom studio. I'm a tenor and want to do vocal work ranging from the headiest, thinnest Jeff Buckley - Grace stuff, to shouty Nirvana - Nevermind territory. RE20 is out of the question because I'd rather not deal with new price tag + EMI interference or used price tag + foam replacement/possible capsule damage. SM7B seems to be reliably recommended here but may not be as hi-fi as I want, plus I already have a 57 and 58. Electro-Voice RE320, on the other hand, is a lot less popular but may be correct for my applications? I also record acoustic guitar, electric guitar cab, and blend bass cab with DI.

I use an ADK Hamburg currently and it's a bit harsh on sibilance + picks up too much of the room. I also have an SM57 and SM58. My preamp is the Steinberg UR-RT4's Yamaha D-Pre, with the optional Neve transformer. If any other info is needed, just ask.

Thanks for any and all help guys
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

With a voice and singing style like I'm imagining based on your description, you might do better to try to stick with nice condensers and somehow deal with your room issues more directly.

In my opinion, a bad room pretty much does its damage regardless of the type of mic you're using, although narrower polar patterns can take the edge off if the mic is pointed in a helpful direction.

So if I forced myself to use a dynamic for that situation, the first one I would try would be a Sennheiser MD 441. Narrow polar pattern, and I think would preserve much more of the subtleness of a the vocal performance (that I'm imagining - haha) than an SM7B, which in my opinion would pull down the life of it a bit.

The SM7B can be great for aggressive singing, of course - I could be thinking about this wrong. I usually grab for my old RE20 first, but I know that's not what you want. But for a troublesome room, I think the 441 could beat both of these because of its small polar pattern (and it sounds really good too)
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Thank you so much for your reply! I really hated to make you "imagine" my voice in those terms, so I did a quick demo with my 58 and my Hamburg. When I A/B, I can totally see where you're coming from, in terms of sticking to quality condensers, because the 58 sounds a lot less detailed, to me (mic position is probably not ideal)... now I'm doubtful that even a high-end dynamic would be detailed enough for what I want.

Listening to the A/B--do you think the Hamburg suits my voice enough to keep? Or should I sell and move to another condenser in the $300-400 USD price range? In both cases, I'll work on improving the space.

DISCLAIMER: A/B is uncompressed and a lil' peaky!

Thanks again man
Attached Files

Vocal Test - SM58.mp3 (5.80 MB, 120 views)

Vocal Test - ADK Hamburg.mp3 (5.80 MB, 123 views)

Old 5 days ago
Vocal with an RE320 and Acoustic also. The mic is more HiFi then a Shure, what I like about it is that it can be very forgiving, just place it anywhere and its ok, also you can overdub a week later in different conditions and it still pretty much sounds the same every time. try that with a condenser.

Edit, I think your Hamburg sounds alright on your voice, I'm not hearing much room in there, but yes a dynamic like a 320 would be better in a not treated room, another reason I use it.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Thank you for sharing that demo, examples of using the RE320 for vocals are kinda sparse and that really helped, especially hearing the full mix. Super revealing. Sounds great for vocals and acoustic! Probably would be a great studio all-rounder.

Personally, even though I hear a great "crisp" quality to the RE320, I still prefer the Hamburg for that extra 0.1% of condenser detail I'm hearing, so I think I'll stick with it, or another condenser, and work on my room. Thank you again for the opportunity to compare.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search