The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which ELAM251 Inspired Mic? Condenser Microphones
Old 18th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rec_Eng View Post
I’d go with (and did) a Barbaric Amplification BA-251. Can customize it up, any way you want, with the help of Chris. Here’s some thoughts:

Body can be a cheap 460 with an upgraded head basket or go with a really nice one like a BeesNeez body. Capsule could be a BeesNeez or a Tim Campbell CT12 (plenty of other options) or if you want more transient-response, go with a Luke Audio 1-micron capsule; or a combo of both as I did with my Stephen Paul -inspired modded pair of C12-types and do Campbell CT12 modded by Luke Audio. Pick up a 6072 tube (or other) of your choice or possibly even do a Phaedrus Audio AC701k “solid-state tube”, plenty of transformer options, but AMI’s T14 is as good as any for a 251-type mic. Could go large-core or toroid for a different taste though.

All depending configuration, it’d cost a total of $1200-$2000 or so. Once parts are gathered, you’re looking at 2-3 weeks.

With all that said, should you need a mic next week, the Manley Cardioid has no interest for me sound-wise, but the Gold has my attention; at a lot more though! The Bock 251 is definitely a great option too, but a lot more also.

The Mojave MA-1000 is certainly great too, but at that price-point, I myself have a hard time when Barbaric is an option.

You mention mainly for female pop singers, so I must mention the Luke Audio AL-Y56 with the A2 Gold capsule. Check out the Zen Pro Audio clips.
Thanks! I'd go ahead and check them out.
I appriciate you guys opinions so far, it really helps believe it or not.

I just found this on reverb and wondering what you guys think about this.

Upton Microphones Analog Anonymous Edition 251 Tube Condenser | Reverb
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora7 View Post
I just found this on reverb and wondering what you guys think about this.

Upton Microphones Analog Anonymous Edition 251 Tube Condenser | Reverb
I haven’t used one personally, but they receive lots of high praise from others. Dallas Upton also runs Vintech and seems to be very reputable. When I’m ready to add a 251-style mic, it’ll be between this, the Lawson, and the Bock.
Old 18th October 2018
Gear Nut

I haven’t heard it either... I’m sure it’s great; though it’s definitely getting into the range of a new Manley Gold and certainly a used one!

At the point of this range, they’re all going to be great and it’s just going to be which speaks to you the most, personally. It can certainly be hard to figure out which that is without them in your hands!

Does my BA-251 (or any other of my 18 Barbaric mics thus far) speak to me just as much or more than these others? I have no idea, but I will say it has squelched my lust for them! Still, that’s not to say I wouldn’t love to compare them all!
Old 18th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
I haven’t heard it either... I’m sure it’s great; though it’s definitely getting into the range of a new Manley Gold and certainly a used one!

At the point of this range, they’re all going to be great and it’s just going to be which speaks to you the most, personally. It can certainly be hard to figure out which that is without them in your hands!

Does my BA-251 (or any other of my 18 Barbaric mics thus far) speak to me just as much or more than these others? I have no idea, but I will say it has squelched my lust for them! Still, that’s not to say I wouldn’t love to compare them all!
Do you mind if ask how much did your BA251 cost with the configuration you mentioned earlier?
Thanks.
Old 19th October 2018
Gear Nut

I went with a Tim Campbell CT12 capsule, AMI T14 transformer, NOS GE 6072 5-Star, and a used 460 body with a better head basket. It’s been a while and a few other BA mics since, but I think it was around $1400. Even if going with a BeesNeez body, it doesn’t bring up the price all that much; maybe a couple hundred more.
Old 19th October 2018
Gear Nut

Not to throw another wrench, but speaking of BeesNeez, while I haven’t heard it, at $2600 USD right now for the Tribute 2 (if I’m reading that right), that’s another I’d definitely consider!

Last edited by Rec_Eng; 19th October 2018 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 19th October 2018
The TFunk AR-51 is astounding for the price on the used market.
Old 20th October 2018
I have been looking at this one from BSA microphones, it has Tim Campbells capsule: ELAM 250 Microphone System | BSA Microphones
Old 20th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianolando View Post
I have been looking at this one from BSA microphones, it has Tim Campbells capsule: ELAM 250 Microphone System | BSA Microphones
This mic indeed looks pretty cool.
Thanks for the info.
Old 20th October 2018
Gear Nut

Yes, indeed the BSA 250 looks great and I’m positive is great! But again, at that price-point, with Barbaric as an option, I personally have a hard time. Plus, Chris just happens to be a couple miles from me!
Old 20th October 2018
Lives for gear

Why on earth dont they put fig8 on a $3k mic with a capsule capable?
Old 22nd October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
I went with a Tim Campbell CT12 capsule, AMI T14 transformer, NOS GE 6072 5-Star, and a used 460 body with a better head basket. It’s been a while and a few other BA mics since, but I think it was around $1400. Even if going with a BeesNeez body, it doesn’t bring up the price all that much; maybe a couple hundred more.
Thanks a lot !!
Old 22nd October 2018
Here for the gear

Well, thanks a lot everyone for your suggestions!
Old 22nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Tim C's C12 capsule is fantastic! The Flea 12 is a knockout microphone IMHO. I wasn't aware, when I sang through it, that he'd provided that capsule.
Chris
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search