The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mono overhead microphone advice please! Condenser Microphones
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Mono overhead microphone advice please!

Just bought a Rode K2 for mono overhead as I've heard the last tame impala record Currents achieve good results with it, thoughts on this mic for this purpose?

Question is I actually use a FLEA 47 for my vocals. Should I just return the K2 and use the 47 for mono overhead too?

I wouldn't say I'm going for a lo-fi drum sound but more of a natural sounding hats and cymbals with a punchy, fat kick and snare sound.

Also, I'm using Zildjian A custom cymbals also that so far seem pretty bright so maybe the u47 is a better fit? Thoughts please and thank you!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

If it were me, I put both mics up as close to one another as possible, with my other mics, hit the red button and record some drumming.

Are you using close mics as well, or going for a 1 mic thing? How's your room? 47 inspired mics are pretty thick and chunky, which could be good for the A Customs, or might accentuate things your don't like in the mids of the cymbals. I don't know the K2 so I can't comment on that.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
If it were me, I put both mics up as close to one another as possible, with my other mics, hit the red button and record some drumming.

Are you using close mics as well, or going for a 1 mic thing? How's your room? 47 inspired mics are pretty thick and chunky, which could be good for the A Customs, or might accentuate things your don't like in the mids of the cymbals. I don't know the K2 so I can't comment on that.
I definitely will, I know the best way is to compare, I'm just new to tracking drums and my ear for it is not too good yet. But I know it should help and I'll be doing a A/B in a couple hours.

I'm trying to run a 3 mic set up 1 mic on the snare 1 mono overhead and 1 on the kick. My room is literally a sound booth thats really, really dead. (Or atleast it was until acquiring the kit, which now resonates when I track other stuff, vocals, guitars etc. )
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1n28 View Post
I definitely will, I know the best way is to compare, I'm just new to tracking drums and my ear for it is not too good yet. But I know it should help and I'll be doing a A/B in a couple hours.

I'm trying to run a 3 mic set up 1 mic on the snare 1 mono overhead and 1 on the kick. My room is literally a sound booth thats really, really dead. (Or atleast it was until acquiring the kit, which now resonates when I track other stuff, vocals, guitars etc. )
drums resonate...you can put a sheet or something over them while you're tracking other stuff. Don't forget to turn off the snares.

Be mindful of the balance between snare and toms when playing fills. Personally, I'd rather not mic the snare if I'm not micing the toms. Fills sound off when they involve snare and toms (which most fills do).
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
I really like the K2 for overhead /room drums. It just works good.
As you record, try changing the dial from omni to cardiod, to figure 8.
It will sound different.
Please report back with your result from your room!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I owned K2's and NTK's for years, I don't own either right now. What I appreciated about both those mics (on any source) was their ability to help things come through in a busy mix without them sounding too thin in context. On their own and solo'ed, I never really cared for them. But they saved my butt on countless occasions when I had already mixed a dense song and was asked to add something last minute. I'm doing more stripped back folk/bluegrass/alt country stuff these days, so I sold my pair of K2's for something different. I would have kept them if I were still doing as much pop sounding projects.

I can't imagine using a K2 as a mono overhead for capturing a lot of the kit with a minimal mic setup. It would be tough. I have an old 1932 RCA ribbon that I like to use closer to the kit to capture the overall sound. I can see using a K2 as an overhead to give me a little more sparkle or brightness as an additive. It's not something I would reach for as a mono overhead to use as a dominant source in the mix. Again, maybe a good choice to blend in a little bit. I'm sure I could make it work in a pinch, but it wouldn't be my first choice and is not what I would use it for. It can be especially bright and sharp on a lot of cymbals, maybe usefully over a jazz kit with some darker zildjian K's?

Again, great mic and can be very useful. It never ended up being a dominate player on any source in my mixes. It was a great problem solver for me, not exactly the most versatile choice for the money in my experience. I would lean more towards putting the Flea overhead or close to get most of the kit and maybe throw the NTK in front of the kick or even under the snare and blend in a bit of that to help push the snare through the mix and compensate for the top attack and "thud" the Flea is going to pick up.

Last edited by andersmv; 6 days ago at 03:21 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Question is I actually use a FLEA 47 for my vocals. Should I just return the K2 and use the 47 for mono overhead too?

I wouldn't say I'm going for a lo-fi drum sound but more of a natural sounding hats and cymbals with a punchy, fat kick and snare sound.

Yes! and take one or two coles 4038 instead the K2
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I’d probably go with an AEA R92 or R84.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Just bought a Rode K2 for mono overhead as I've heard the last tame impala record Currents achieve good results with it, thoughts on this mic for this purpose?

Also, I'm using Zildjian A custom cymbals also that so far seem pretty bright so maybe the u47 is a better fit? Thoughts please and thank you!
I would try them both out to see how they differ. I often hear of the U47 being used as a room mic or for kick. I'm sure you'll be happy with the results. If the U47 sounds better i'd return the K2.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

As a single overhead, one of the reasons I like my Pearlman TM1 (47 clone) is that it sounds closer to the snare than it really is. But that's probably also a function of my room, which is 70s-style dead.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

another vote for the coles 4038. have used lots of things as mono over 47's c12's 87's RCA's. the 4038 to me is just such a pleasing well balanced capture and really does something special to cymbals.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search