The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NS10 troubleshooting advice - crackles Studio Monitors
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

NS10 troubleshooting advice - crackles

Hi all,

I need troubleshooting advice regarding my old pair of NS10m Studio.

Context : They worked fine for 20 years, but were in storage (room temperature) for 3 years. When I plugged them back this year, I have a weird crackling issue.

They can be playing fine for a little while, but suddenly one or both will start to crackle a bit. The volume gets lower during the crackling and sometimes they'll just cut off completely.

To fix it temporarily, I just give a little tap on the woofer, and they come back. They can also come back if I raise the volume a lot.

It sounded like an amplifier problem to my ears, so I got a new amp, changed the cables, tried different sound sources, etc. Everything points to the speakers.

I popped them open and they're clean and solid inside. No soldering issues whatsoever.

Have any of you had this issue? What could be the source of the problem?

Thanks!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
i think the capacitors is going bad due to time of 20+ years and so on. Replace those capacitors and you be all right : each speaker need 1 (10uf at 160volts or above and 1( 5.6uf of 160volts +). change it with janzten or better you will here the different in depth, width, and clarity. hope that helps.
Old 6 days ago
Old 6 days ago
Check the braided wire that leads from the terminal block of the speaker to the coil.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search