The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NS10 troubleshooting advice - crackles Studio Monitors
Old 12th October 2018
Gear Addict

NS10 troubleshooting advice - crackles

Hi all,

I need troubleshooting advice regarding my old pair of NS10m Studio.

Context : They worked fine for 20 years, but were in storage (room temperature) for 3 years. When I plugged them back this year, I have a weird crackling issue.

They can be playing fine for a little while, but suddenly one or both will start to crackle a bit. The volume gets lower during the crackling and sometimes they'll just cut off completely.

To fix it temporarily, I just give a little tap on the woofer, and they come back. They can also come back if I raise the volume a lot.

It sounded like an amplifier problem to my ears, so I got a new amp, changed the cables, tried different sound sources, etc. Everything points to the speakers.

I popped them open and they're clean and solid inside. No soldering issues whatsoever.

Have any of you had this issue? What could be the source of the problem?

Thanks!
Old 12th October 2018
Lives for gear
i think the capacitors is going bad due to time of 20+ years and so on. Replace those capacitors and you be all right : each speaker need 1 (10uf at 160volts or above and 1( 5.6uf of 160volts +). change it with janzten or better you will here the different in depth, width, and clarity. hope that helps.
Old 12th October 2018
Old 12th October 2018
Check the braided wire that leads from the terminal block of the speaker to the coil.
Old 7th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quick update on this one.

I changed the capacitors. (Boy that was fun, never having done this before.)

In each speaker, I put in:
(2) Jantzen Audio 2.7uF 400V Crosscap Capacitor (to replace the two big grey caps)
Jantzen Audio 2.7uF 400V Crosscap Capacitor

(1) Jantzen Audio 10uF 400V Crosscap Capacitor (to replace the small black one)
Jantzen Audio 10uF 400V Crosscap Capacitor

I had taken the recommendation from this thread: Yamaha NS10M Cap Mod

They sound great now. I have the impression that the lower end is a lot more full.

Last edited by simonv; 10th January 2019 at 06:02 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search