The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Try to finde two matching vintage MD421. Good luck! Dynamic Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Try to finde two matching vintage MD421. Good luck!

Dear folks,

I've used three special edition black/gold Sennheiser MD421 for years. They are from the same batch and sounded great. I don't own them anymore and now I'm trying to get three matching vintage MD421-2.

Damn, that's a tough task! They all sound pretty different. There is the obvious thing about a lot of them getting degraded bass response over the time. I'm talking about the 421-2 without the rolloff switch. Then there's also a lot of shift in high frequency and presence.

I had 6 of them now of which 2 are fat and open sounding and quite similar. But really, I didn't expect this to be that hard. If people do not compare they might think they get the MD421 sound without knowing how good they can sound. You have to be patient searching.

Am I just unlucky or do you have similar experience?

Cheers,
T
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I don't know, so many of the vintage mics off ebay etc. need cleaning and basic maintenance to sound their best. Disintegrating foam, sometimes you have tiny magnetic particles stuck on the diaphragm etc. and that will kill low-end response. Don't know about the MD421 but I have had MD221's with 'collapsed' diaphragms that refused to produce real lows. AKG D19's have also been notoriously inconsistent for me. With these mics being half a century old, I guess some aging is inevitable. Still, I am surprised at how well some hold up.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I have an old 421-U5 that I've compared directly with two newer ones, the newer ones both sounded identical and the older one was pretty close, just less "constrained" sounding and a little smoother. So I'd say unlucky. If they've been very beat up they will lose some bass though.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search