The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
not seen any news/reviews on the midas 500 series
Old 20th September 2018
  #1
Lives for gear
 
djwaxxy's Avatar
not seen any news/reviews on the midas 500 series

I was looking on gear4music today because im looking to buy some new gear and I spotted some hidden gems which ive not seen mentioned or shown anywere.

there taking preorders for the midas 500 series units theres eqs/preamps..etc and there unbelievably cheap.

Midas 512 Parametric Equaliser at Gear4music.com

Midas 522 Compressor Limiter at Gear4music.com

Midas Legend L10 500 Series Rackmount Chassis at Gear4music.com

Midas 502 Microphone Preamplifier at Gear4music.com

has anyone any info on these ?
Old 20th September 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 

They’ve been out for awhile, the modules initially were $800 now reduced to $300 on Sweetwater.

Haven’t tried them, but if as good as what is in their large desks then i would give them a whirl.
Old 20th September 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
 
rids's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
They’ve been out for awhile, the modules initially were $800 now reduced to $300 on Sweetwater.

Haven’t tried them, but if as good as what is in their large desks then i would give them a whirl.
Right, that's quite the deal. That's a really big discount. I wonder why they are being discounted so heavily. I was once upon a time going to get a Midas mixer. I might have to give some of these a listen.
Old 17th October 2018
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Hey - I have the Pre, Comp and EQ. I bought all of them when I saw the price drop. I'm still using them and it's only been a couple months but these suckers are really well built. Just off of product description - the components are super high quality. The pre is incredibly clean. the compressor is great and the EQs are very useable.

Only thing is you can't stereo link these suckers which is sort of a bummer considering the rack case allows for stereo linking!
Old 20th October 2018
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange28 View Post
Hey - I have the Pre, Comp and EQ. I bought all of them when I saw the price drop. I'm still using them and it's only been a couple months but these suckers are really well built. Just off of product description - the components are super high quality. The pre is incredibly clean. the compressor is great and the EQs are very useable.

Only thing is you can't stereo link these suckers which is sort of a bummer considering the rack case allows for stereo linking!
Hey, I'm looking into these and I was wondering, can the pre be pushed into some nice soft clipping as well? Really interested in them, the chassis is very cheap as well.
Old 20th October 2018
  #6
<moving this to "So much Gear... ">
Old 20th October 2018
  #7
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
I have the L6 lunchbox and a pair of the 512 EQ.

I think both are pretty fantastic.

Great performance, great value as well at the new price.
Old 11th November 2018
  #8
Still not much news/talk about these units? They're pretty much the cheapest 500 series comps/pres/EQs on the market right now, thought people would go crazy over these like they did with the Klark Teknik prices...
Old 11th November 2018
  #9
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
I just got the L10 lunchbox as well. I am planning for a big 500 series expansion in 2019.
Old 11th November 2018
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I just got the L10 lunchbox as well. I am planning for a big 500 series expansion in 2019.
Nice, I'm planning to jump into the 500 series stuff soon starting out with the L6 and the 502.

Just thought we would've seen some demo's and reviews of this stuff since it's so cheap. If the pre is great and has some nice character when pushed it could be a gamechanger at this price point.
Old 11th November 2018
  #11
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicnomad View Post
Nice, I'm planning to jump into the 500 series stuff soon starting out with the L6 and the 502.

Just thought we would've seen some demo's and reviews of this stuff since it's so cheap. If the pre is great and has some nice character when pushed it could be a gamechanger at this price point.
Yeah I haven't really seen anything on these or the dbx 500 series stuff (other than the 560A).

Also once in a while you see the Tonelux modules in this price range when they're closing them out or something. Black Friday time period would be a good time to keep an eye out for deals like that I think.

I would be curious about the Midas preamp and compressor... I've heard some cool tracks made on midas consoles.
Old 16th November 2018
  #12
RiF
Lives for gear
 
RiF's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I have the L6 lunchbox and a pair of the 512 EQ.

I think both are pretty fantastic.

Great performance, great value as well at the new price.
I want an analog EQ with that exact feature-set without shelling out $1000 per module for EQing electric guitar recordings/creating Kemper profiles. So HP/LP (from the 502 pre) and the ability to do sharp cuts (512) is essential.

I only found one review on Sweetwater where the reviewer said "It does impart that warm "live" sound (..)". monkeyxx, do you have a clue what "live" could mean here?
Old 16th November 2018
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
I want an analog EQ with that exact feature-set without shelling out $1000 per module for EQing electric guitar recordings/creating Kemper profiles. So HP/LP (from the 502 pre) and the ability to do sharp cuts (512) is essential.

I only found one review on Sweetwater where the reviewer said "It does impart that warm "live" sound (..)". monkeyxx, do you have a clue what "live" could mean here?
Midas is mostly famous for their consoles for Live Sound, and these modules are all based on the channel strips of those consoles. Maybe the reviewer is talking about the sound of those consoles.
Old 16th November 2018
  #14
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
I want an analog EQ with that exact feature-set without shelling out $1000 per module for EQing electric guitar recordings/creating Kemper profiles. So HP/LP (from the 502 pre) and the ability to do sharp cuts (512) is essential.

I only found one review on Sweetwater where the reviewer said "It does impart that warm "live" sound (..)". monkeyxx, do you have a clue what "live" could mean here?
I'm trying to imagine what that means. I've heard some pretty vibrant recordings made on Midas consoles. That transparency plus vibe and energy. I wonder if that's what that person is talking about.

I'm really curious about the other modules... I only have the EQ here.
Old 16th November 2018
  #15
RiF
Lives for gear
 
RiF's Avatar
Thanks, monkeyxx. I think I‘ll get the L6 (or L10) / 502 (for lp/hp) / 512 combo.
The price of €500 for the whole pack is hard to ignore.
Old 16th November 2018
  #16
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
Thanks, monkeyxx. I think I‘ll get the L6 (or L10) / 502 (for lp/hp) / 512 combo.
The price of €500 for the whole pack is hard to ignore.
Yes those prices at Thomann, for example are kind of attention grabbing. I was even thinking about shipping a few things to the US.

Lot of it is out of stock though, you can't win them all.
Old 16th November 2018
  #17
RiF
Lives for gear
 
RiF's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Lot of it is out of stock though, you can't win them all.
Oh yeah, the modules and the L6 are said to be available by Dec 6th, but the L10 is scheduled to Jan 2019 :-(. Checked out at Musicstore.de.
Old 17th November 2018
  #18
RiF
Lives for gear
 
RiF's Avatar
So I have ordered the L6/502/512 combo. Let‘s see when they actually get here.
Old 17th November 2018
  #19
Lud
Gear Addict
 
Lud's Avatar
 

I bought an L10 one month ago and no news from musicstore, they say they can't reply due to to much demands... eq and comps are no mojo at all modules but works very well. I would have been desapointed if i had bought them 800€ as a neve 551 is 900€ but for 174€ this is a bargain. Very pleased so far.
Old 17th November 2018
  #20
RiF
Lives for gear
 
RiF's Avatar
I don‘t expect much mojo from by far the cheapest 500 modules known to mankind, but if they do what they say on the spec sheet without any major shortcomings, I‘m fine.
Old 17th November 2018
  #21
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Hard to believe these were introduced at $800 USD
Old 23rd November 2018
  #22
RiF
Lives for gear
 
RiF's Avatar
My L6 comes in today. It is empty though...
The ETA for the pre is still beginning of Dec but the eq slipped to Feb 19 :-(.
Old 29th November 2018
  #23
Gear Maniac
You always get the goods! lol

Have you put anything on the soundcloud with the 512? I'm choosing some cheap stuff. Lindell, Fredenstein, Dbx, Midas. So many choices. lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I have the L6 lunchbox and a pair of the 512 EQ.

I think both are pretty fantastic.

Great performance, great value as well at the new price.
Old 29th November 2018
  #24
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Hard to believe these were introduced at $800 USD
I guess it's one form of marketing...huge drop to the real price later on.... they probably weren't even built in quantity at that early stage?

Uli the reverse disruptor timeline dissector
Old 29th November 2018
  #25
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRanger View Post
You always get the goods! lol

Have you put anything on the soundcloud with the 512? I'm choosing some cheap stuff. Lindell, Fredenstein, Dbx, Midas. So many choices. lol
I'm honestly kind of baffled by sound cloud.

I'm just sort of wondering why I should even post anything, ever. It doesn't seem to have a vibrant community around it.

But no, I don't think the Midas EQ has showed up on any of those posts.

Oddly enough I've only used it a few times since I got it. I get so distracted by plugins.

I really do think it's worth the $250 or whatever, great general purpose EQ.
Old 2nd December 2018
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Wow didn’t know this stuff hit another price drop. I would potentially be interested in the preamp and the rack, though the danger of buying the rack is being tempted to fill it.
Old 2nd December 2018
  #27
RiF
Lives for gear
 
RiF's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Wow didn’t know this stuff hit another price drop. I would potentially be interested in the preamp and the rack, though the danger of buying the rack is being tempted to fill it.
That's why I got the 6-slot rack and not the 10-er which is only $40 more :-).
Old 2nd December 2018
  #28
Here for the gear
 

I have all the MiDAS stuff, and the KT.
It's all great, especially for the price.
The Pre is really clean, and if switched to the tx transformer drives very well.
You can get a nice vintage sound pushing it, and using the high / low pass filters.
The EQ is nice for surgical stuff,
And the Comp is very transparent and the 250hz Pass is useful.
Ed
Old 4th December 2018
  #29
Gear Head
 
crossroad's Avatar
 

Midas EQ

Hi Ed, Nice to hear from the modules, I have the Midas L6 rack with 5 blind panels and it is time to order a few modules, can you tell a bit more about the EQ module?
tnx in advance, Robin.
Old 6th December 2018
  #30
RiF
Lives for gear
 
RiF's Avatar
Ha!! My 502 pre and 512 eq both come in today !
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump