The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What budget SDCs for huge, lush piano sound? Condenser Microphones
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

What budget SDCs for huge, lush piano sound?

Hello everyone,

I need to record piano for a project, and after some listening around, I reached the conclusion that a pair of SDCs is what I need. The piano parts are all soft playing on both grands and uprights. I would like to be able to mic as closely as possible in order to get a really massive, lush sound.

Sadly, I am on a budget - so to some extent, I have to buy used, which might limit the choice a bit. It seems, however, that there are some decent sets on offer currently. I would like to ask your advice as to which of these mics best fits my requirements.
  • SE Electronics SE-8 (matched)
  • 3U Audio CM100 (matched)
  • Oktava MK-012 (matched)
  • Line Audio CM3 (unmatched, buy new)

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
Niels Münster
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I've never achieved 'lush' with small microphones on piano. Of the above, I've used the Oktavas and wasn't satisfied at all.

If I had to blindly buy any of those microphones you mention, it would be the 3U, I have a pair of his LDCs and they go great.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Avenson sto
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I did a piano mic shootout recently and tried everything from KM84's, Gefell m300's, Oktava MC012's and even Gefell UM70's and 414s.

I ended up preferring the sound of Advanced Audio's AA87's. SDC's were fine, especially when you can put'em in omni, but the AA87's had the best balance of bottom and 'clarity' without being spiky at all up top. And they're pretty affordable, at least compared to any high-end SDC's (though yes, they're LDCs).

(And you can also check out AA's SDC pair, which you can get with different pattern capsule heads. They sounded pretty good on the piano too... as well as drums and acoustic guitars. I just preferred the 87's on piano, which was my primary goal)
Old 4 days ago
Look no further than the line audio cm3. I recorded a stereo grand piano with them a while ago, absolutely clear and honest representation of the source.

I had a room mic and a mic where the player sat too, and for some tracks I blended these in for vibe, but the cm3s where great on their own for most tracks.
Old 4 days ago
Look no further than the line audio cm3. I recorded a stereo grand piano with them a while ago, absolutely clear and honest representation of the source.

I had a room mic and a mic where the player sat too, and for some tracks I blended these in for vibe, but the cm3s where great on their own for most tracks.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanBarley View Post
Avenson sto
The OP stated he needs to record soft piano paets. The very high self-noise of those mics makes them not ideal for that application at all.

I would recommend the Line Audios. I got some tracks to mix where they were used to record soft rav and hang drum parts and they sounded pristine.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

You can't beat a pair of AT4050's for piano.

However, you didn't mention what piano you're recording - is it large, say over 6 feet, is it a Yamaha, or Steinway, or other brand. Is the player good at getting "the sound" you're after? Will you be in a small space or large? Will it have been tuned?

All these things matter.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

the only small diaphragm mics i've had ANY luck with (on Piano, that is) are the schoeps mk4's. i'm quite sure that is quite a bit above your budget, but in my experience small diaphragms are an uphill battle for larger than life piano
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

I actually like my Octava MC012 in ORTF on the soundboard of my upright. The sE8 are really nice sounding mics and I assume they would do well. Lately sE T2 have been really doing it for me on piano, but they are out of your budget, I fear.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search