The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dbx 160A vs Symetrix 501 - opinions? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Dbx 160A vs Symetrix 501 - opinions?

So I just modded my 160A and after a good bit of work it sounds really good. Seeing as how my rack space is somewhat limited I'm inclined to keep the 160A and dispense with the 501. But I was curious if any other people have compared these two or just general opinions about them.

Cheers!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

There was a thread about 501's recently. My opinion was that I sold all my Symetrix, and the DBX are still hanging around.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
There was a thread about 501's recently. My opinion was that I sold all my Symetrix, and the DBX are still hanging around.
Cool, thanks Monkey. I reckon I agree. I used the 501 for a few things but I believe the 160a will be a better all around comp.

Cheers mate!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

When I had access to both a 160X (which is slightly different from the 160A) and a 501 -- so keep in mind this was 30-some years ago -- the dbx would always be the first choice unless it was for slap/pop bass, where the 501 seemed to rule. And then maybe one out of every 10 times I'd find the auto attack/release parameters on the dbx inappropriate so I'd switch to the 501 in those rare instances.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I have a new DBX 560 and a 501.

I rarely use the 501, mostly due to lack of rack space and keeping my rig more simple lately...

But it does sound good, and one thing I can do with it that I can't quite do with the DBX is a fast release "1176-esque" thing on a snare drum.

glad I have them both, but could also live without both...
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search