The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dbx 160A vs Symetrix 501 - opinions? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 15th September 2018
Here for the gear
Dbx 160A vs Symetrix 501 - opinions?

So I just modded my 160A and after a good bit of work it sounds really good. Seeing as how my rack space is somewhat limited I'm inclined to keep the 160A and dispense with the 501. But I was curious if any other people have compared these two or just general opinions about them.

Cheers!
Old 16th September 2018
Lives for gear

There was a thread about 501's recently. My opinion was that I sold all my Symetrix, and the DBX are still hanging around.
Old 17th September 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
There was a thread about 501's recently. My opinion was that I sold all my Symetrix, and the DBX are still hanging around.
Cool, thanks Monkey. I reckon I agree. I used the 501 for a few things but I believe the 160a will be a better all around comp.

Cheers mate!
Old 17th September 2018
Lives for gear

When I had access to both a 160X (which is slightly different from the 160A) and a 501 -- so keep in mind this was 30-some years ago -- the dbx would always be the first choice unless it was for slap/pop bass, where the 501 seemed to rule. And then maybe one out of every 10 times I'd find the auto attack/release parameters on the dbx inappropriate so I'd switch to the 501 in those rare instances.
Old 17th September 2018
Lives for gear

I have a new DBX 560 and a 501.

I rarely use the 501, mostly due to lack of rack space and keeping my rig more simple lately...

But it does sound good, and one thing I can do with it that I can't quite do with the DBX is a fast release "1176-esque" thing on a snare drum.

glad I have them both, but could also live without both...
Old 4th October 2018
Gear Addict

I tried both. And ended up keeping the DBX 160a.

For the main reason that the DBX 160A can do almost everything that the Symetrix does. But the opposite is not true.

I couldn't reach that with a Symetrix (skip to 01:20 to only listen to the DBX in action) :

I found that feature quite amazing for such a "cheap" compressor. And not a lot of plugins (didn't find any yet) could gave me that really snappy punchy sound.
So my vote for DBX 160A .
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search