The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New home studio advice Studio Monitors
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

New home studio advice

Just bought a new home, and now I’m working on the stu. Have a room designated for a mixing/ (also will be a small theatre) and another for tracking.

Main focus is the vocal chain, but also want to run old sessions through the analog gear I will be purchasing. Will only be recording one artist at a time

Of note, I am not an engineer nor the artist to be recorded.

Hiphop, pop, rnb, afropop are genres. As taboo as it may sound I’m Looking for that really warm/ overly driven vintage Neve sound. I like to hear compression. The artist has a relatively thin airy voice

Gear so far: (BIG thanks to this forum, and clipilator. Made a lot of theoretical decisions easier)

Aurora GTQC
Hairball 1176
Apogee duet (Mac)
2017 iMac 21.7 3.6k i7 8gb ram 1TB SSD.

Vintage u87 gets here on Monday.
I plan on getting KT2a and a KTEQP

Monitors are hs80m

I’m thinking the weak link here is the apogee duet. I’d like an interface that has an extra output, to be able to run the signal through the hardware. I don’t think it’ll need to have a preamp, as I will be using the gtqc. Budget is 1-2k. Any suggestions?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt (Factory Refurbished) - Apogee Electronics
Bargain.

Failing that the Universal Audio stuff - Apollo X. Otherwise the older stuff is good.
I'd also (IMHO), get another 8 gig of Ram......

Guessing on prices as you don't state US or UK or Europe etc

But there'll be a great many opinions coming through so best of luck with it - sounds like a nice home studio

FWIW, and only imho, your weak link is actually the HS80s.....
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Currency is US

Yeah I’ll get another 8 eventually, don’t think that’s too critical right now. Main focus of the studio is the Signal Chain.

The Ensemble looks nice. A little excessive for my needs though. (Only will be recording vocals, and one artist at a time. Don’t think I’ll need more than 4 ins, including headphone

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search