The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage Fet 47 as all-around Vocal mic? Condenser Microphones
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Vintage Fet 47 as all-around Vocal mic?

Hello All,

I'm looking to get a new condenser microphone for my home studio.
I record mainly acoustic instruments, and make music in the style of The Lumineers, Beiruth, Sufjan stevens and ,and many more indie-folk music.

Looking for an all-around condenser that will fit my voice (i'd say it's a thin bairtone kind of voice, can get bit nasally and thin in the upper range.)
You can check my voice here - שחר צדיק - אוסטרליה by Shachar Zadik | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I have a Pearlman TM-1 but I feel it doesn't fit my voice very much.

I have 2 options I thought about -
Vintage fet u47 - sang on one on one of my songs and liked it.
Neumann U87Ai - never used one, but I understand it's more versatile/

Both are second hand at a relatively good price.

I also record acoustic guitars, violas, trumpets.

Any advice?

Cheers!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

If you include "nasally" in your own description" the 87 might not be the right choice. If it has to be used, I'd look for an older AKG C-414 (B-ULS or EB) than the 2 you've mentioned.

Just heard your link & it sounds fine.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

I like the way the Pearlman sounds on you. You sing softly, and it picks up nice detail and texture. If you go with either of those Neumanns you'll be giving up some of that.

You could try working the Pearlman a tiny bit closer for more chesty proximity.

Late add -- I listened to little bits of some other things on your Soundcloud page. Those are older and a bit rough around the edges, but I see why you think your voice is nasal. It's fine. In those older tracks it might seem more that way because it's mixed a bit loud.

Besides microphones, if you want to address that with hardware, the classic 1176 > La2a chain will make you meatier. Real ones are nice, but the less-expensive clones will work. As a side benefit, they'll let your voice tuck into the mix a bit more and still be heard.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 6 days ago at 04:37 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I like the way the Pearlman sounds on you. You sing softly, and it picks up nice detail and texture. If you go with either of those Neumanns you'll be giving up some of that.

You could try working the Pearlman a tiny bit closer for more chesty proximity.
Thanks!

Actually, the Pearlman wasn't used on the track posted in my post. I think it was Aston.

This one was recorded with the Pearlman:
Shachar Zadik White Swans - שחר צדיק /ברבורים לבנים by Shachar Zadik | Free Listening on SoundCloud

What about RCA 77 or a Ribbon?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daystar View Post
What about RCA 77 or a Ribbon?
I just added a bunch to my previous post.

An RCA 77 is a ribbon. You could do that, but you'd be losing lots of texture and detail and just getting a darker, more covered-up version of what you already have.

I'm betting nobody else -- your friends, fans, family -- has the issues with your voice that you do.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

i agree with Brent .. a Ribbon could be too dark .. my opinion is this: you would sound the same on an SM58 or a Sennheiser 441 as you do on the Aston and the Pearlman .. i beleive you have one of those voices .. this is a Good Thing !!! the Pearlman seems to have a little more detail but that could be a matter of an inch or so in proximity between songs, microphones, the humidity, did you drink a cold or warm liquid before you sang .. you know the drill ..

i also agree with Brent on the Comp chain if you want a little more Meat to your voice .. hardware would be great if you have the money, have you tried that type of chain with plugins ?? 1176 - LA2A .. this you could do with the tracks you have recorded in context to see what affect this Chain would have .. then you could go out and get some Hardware to Track Through ... now that would be Yummy Smooth and Tasty !!

i am just saying use the plugins as a demo for the chain .. and try and match settings you would on hardware .. nothing crazy, just a couple Db on each type 1176, LA2A .. but now i am stating the obvious !!!

nice voice !! nice tunes !! beautiful language !!!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

and let me add that i used to Own a Purple Badge Fet47 ... absolutely beautiful sounding microphone on vocals ... it was a special one though .. i have heard others be not as open sounding ..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I had 5 of them at one point and they all sounded fantastic. Often a VERY overlooked vocal mic and I’ve said it time and time again it’s almost a desert island mic who’s tone can be changed by mic pre and compressor combos.

I’m prolly going to grab a re-issue next year when I plan to do some recording rather than mixing.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

People freak when I tell them I used to use 6 x U67’s on drums ohhh how times have changed huh!
Hey wiggy!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

IMHO the 47 FET, would be a terrific choice for you. Also compare the Bock iFET. Eventually I'll probably get the iFET, over the Neumann reissue.

The Pearlman sounded excellent though, less ess-ey.

Beautiful voice!

Chris
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

47Fet could be a good choice. They do tend to pick up more detail, however, compared to the Aston in your clip and I find them a little bit tricky to use for vocals sometimes because of that. What preamp are you using, also? That can certainly have an impact on the tone of your singing. I don't think your voice sounds bad in the clip you shared, though.

I also have a bit of a challenging voice (also baritone, but can get nasal) and lately have been using a Rode NT1 (not NT1A) into a REDD.47 and that works very well for me. It also is good with a Neve style preamp.

(I'm curious, actually, if you find certain mics or preamps work better when you sing in Hebrew and some better in English because of the different sounds in the languages.)
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
IMHO the 47 FET, would be a terrific choice for you. Also compare the Bock iFET. Eventually I'll probably get the iFET, over the Neumann reissue.

Beautiful voice!

Chris
Thank you! Why do you think the FET will suit me?

From what I understood the FET 47 could beef up my voice and add some warmth. Is that correct?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post

Beautiful voice!

Chris
Thank you! Why do you think the FET will suit me?

From what I understood the FET 47 could beef up my voice and add some warmth. Is that correct?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

The 47 FET is known to typically work very well with bright voices like yours (and mine!).

I prefer the Bock iFET, however, for two reasons.
One is that there are more tonal options, secondly it's only about half the price of the Neumann.
Both the Neumann and the Bock, are on my personal "wow" short list for my voice BTW.

In a lesser price range, the Advanced Audio version of the 47 FET, has had good user reviews.
Haven't tried their microphone line yet.

You may also want to check out the Brauner Phanthera and Telefunken Copperhead too, although I've only listened to (impressive) clips so far.
Chris
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search