The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Atc 20mkII neumann 120/310 sub Studio Monitors
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Atc 20mkII neumann 120/310 sub

Hi mates.

I am planning a mixing room.

It's 38m2 ( 400 sqr feet ) acoustic will be fixed soon.

I just put in it neumann 120. And the translation and sound is fairly good.

But the sound is a bit "plastic" i want more vivid midrange, and detail. Also more low under 50 / 60, but midrange clarity and soundtage deepth is the more important. Listening distance about 1 m / 3 foot

I've auditioned atc scm25 (at the top of my budget) and i don't like it. Maybe the expaction was too big. But i found the mid bass not so detailed and also upper mid strange, sub is on the lean side too.

I am facing that possibilities now:

Keep the neumann120 and add 1 or 2 neumann 805 sub. More bass, and crossover 120 can help with mid definition, maybe.

Switch to neumann 310 3 way more mid? And more sub bass than 120?

Atc scm20mk2 active, Some people say that the mid is better than 25. (Sl woofer) and new tweeter. But no sub bass.

Atc scm20mk2 passive (i ve a good masterin amp ) with 2 x 12" atc diy subwoofer in closed box (atc woofer from wilmslow audio pa version)

Any helps?

Ps: i ve used pmc tb2s+, ns10, focal sm6 / 9, meyer hd1, amie, quested 208 / 3108. From the bunch i like ns10/ hd1/amie.

Thanks
Andrew
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

You said your room acoustics “will be fixed soon”. Yet you’re ruling out monitors based on listening to them in your space with yet compromised acoustics. I wouldn’t be writing off a monitor like the SCM25’s until you can hear it after properly treating your space. At the same time, those ATC’s are completely unhyped and extremely truthful. They are not monitors for listening pleasure- they’re designed for accuracy and to help translate your mixes. If you’re expecting to be “wowed” by a studio monitor, you might be listening for the wrong things. If a monitor wows you, then you’ll think your unmixed tracks sound great and you won’t work hard to make them sound better.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Re

Hi mates. I ve listened to atc in a treated room. Not mine.

Anyway mine with neumann is that
Attached Thumbnails
Atc 20mkII neumann 120/310 sub-frequency-respsonse-26-05-2018-l-r.jpg  
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea19837 View Post
Hi mates.

I am planning a mixing room.

It's 38m2 ( 400 sqr feet ) acoustic will be fixed soon.

I just put in it neumann 120. And the translation and sound is fairly good.

But the sound is a bit "plastic" i want more vivid midrange, and detail. Also more low under 50 / 60, but midrange clarity and soundtage deepth is the more important. Listening distance about 1 m / 3 foot

I've auditioned atc scm25 (at the top of my budget) and i don't like it. Maybe the expaction was too big. But i found the mid bass not so detailed and also upper mid strange, sub is on the lean side too.

I am facing that possibilities now:

Keep the neumann120 and add 1 or 2 neumann 805 sub. More bass, and crossover 120 can help with mid definition, maybe.

Switch to neumann 310 3 way more mid? And more sub bass than 120?

Atc scm20mk2 active, Some people say that the mid is better than 25. (Sl woofer) and new tweeter. But no sub bass.

Atc scm20mk2 passive (i ve a good masterin amp ) with 2 x 12" atc diy subwoofer in closed box (atc woofer from wilmslow audio pa version)

Any helps?

Ps: i ve used pmc tb2s+, ns10, focal sm6 / 9, meyer hd1, amie, quested 208 / 3108. From the bunch i like ns10/ hd1/amie.

Thanks
Andrew
Dear Andrea,
May I ask you where you auditioned the 25's?

If in an untreated room (or not well treated) or in a non optimal position, then I'd suggest to redo your tests (including the scm25 and not only these) when your room is finished.
In ANY case I suggest to redo the tests in your room because what you'll hear is a system: room + loudspeakers. So you need to find the best "combo".

And if you invest that kind of money, I'd suggest to having your room treated by a good acoustician, this will make your loudspeakers perform at best. More so with very capable loudspeakers.

In any room I've heard/used the 25, they were great, surpassed only by the scm100 flushmounted.. The scm100 had a tad more clarity and depth/3D and quite a bit of lowend more of course.. But they weren't completely different sounding.

When I tested in another well treated room against the kh310, the scm25 offered a lowend that was more extended and clean/precise, easier to "read". It was the clear winner for me.

Any way if you could find a pair of scm100 or 110 and soffit/flush mount them, this will give the best results (but should be made by somebody who have the knowledge and experience. (A pair of 110 were avalaible used for the new price of a pair of 25's.. Just saying..they are/were in Portugal and I'm not related with the seller in any way).

That said I'd suggest, in case a 3way ATC were not in your budget, to check out the KH420, also if possible soffit mounted.

The small ATC's are also really good, and if you add a sub, you'll end up with a very nice and powerful system, check out the subwoofer pro offerings (especially made with ATC in mind by the US distributor).

That said I don't really agree with those who says that the small ATC's have better mids than the 25's..(although I respect the views of these engineers).

While they're really good speaker I do feel that the mid dome in the scm25's (and more so in the bigger models) have a clarity and a way of showing/portraying things that is amazing. I reckon this might partially be a taste thing.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Re

Hi cheu78. I've listened the atc in a treated room. I something was not right for me. Anyway i am looking for nearfield monitor 80 /90 cm listening distance. I know the only way is to listen to it in my room.

Thanks mates.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search