The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U47 vs WA47 VS Micparts V47 Condenser Microphones
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

U47 vs WA47 VS Micparts V47

Hey guys

How do the Warm audio WA 47 and the microphone-parts v47 compare against each other and against real u47s?
Maybe the SA47 is an ootion too?

Tried one WA47 a while ago and liked it. But have no chance to test the other ones. So I hope someone here can share his experiences.

Would only be used as a vocal mic

Thx a lot
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

There's a tendency for these U47 clones to get better, as you head up the price ladder.
The cool thing is that if you're not running a commercial recording facility, then you may find one that sounds terrific on you.

What's your maximum budget?

Keep in mind these will always be somewhat different from a "real" U47 Tube model, since those either had VF-14 or Nuvistor tubes.

FWIW I'm fortunate, in that the FET version, sounds just as good (on me) vs. the tube. So I could "get by" with the Neumann FET reissue.

BTW welcome "to the boards"!

Chris
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
There's a tendency for these U47 clones to get better, as you head up the price ladder.
The cool thing is that if you're not running a commercial recording facility, then you may find one that sounds terrific on you.

What's your maximum budget?

Keep in mind these will always be somewhat different from a "real" U47 Tube model, since those either had VF-14 or Nuvistor tubes.

FWIW I'm fortunate, in that the FET version, sounds just as good (on me) vs. the tube. So I could "get by" with the Neumann FET reissue.

BTW welcome "to the boards"!

Chris
My budget is around 1000 Euros. I have the chance to pick a custom made clone of the U47 with a Thiersch M7 Capsule for around 800 Euro. Can this be any good?

The FET Neumann is just too much out of my budget.

Thx a lot
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Sorry haven't tried the WA-47 yet, or the Microphone Parts V47.
As you may know, both companies have excellent reputations.

What little I know regarding Stam, is although their products are highly
thought of, make sure to check on availability/delivery times.

I would also seriously consider the Advanced Audio versions of the 47 tube also.
They also have a well regarded version of the 47 FET.

If you get a chance eventually, make sure you try out the 47 tube version,
versus the 47 FET. That way if you want to make a further upgrade, you'd be better able to evaluate the High End boutique brands like Bock and Flea.
IMHO by the time you get to the current Telefunken brand, you might as well get the Neumann! (don't get me wrong I love Bock and Flea)

I hope this helps,
Chris
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac
I have not tried any of the WA gear, or the SA gear for that matter, but my Mic-Parts T-12 swings well above it's pay grade forsure. I'm willing to bet the MP v47 is rock solid.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure the Mic Parts v47 is just the Fox 460 circuit with a 47-style capsule in it and maybe some other parts changes. In other words, I suspect the circuit doesn't have much in common with a real 47 circuit. It's probably a nice mic--I built the 12-251 kit and I love it--but it may not belong in the same category as the others.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search