The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Please help me figure out this weird patchbay issue Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Please help me figure out this weird patchbay issue

I have an Alesis SR-16 drum machine which I want to have permanently hooked up to my ART P48 patchbay. The output from the SR-16 is normalled to the input of channels 3/4 on a Steinberg MR816x which I am using as an ADAT expander for my Metric Halo ULN-2.

The issue:
Sound in one channel is significantly lower than on the other channel, so much lower that it's almost silent. If I crank the gain I can hear that the channel has a very tinny sound with no low end.

Why I'm stumped:
If I send a stereo test tone from my DAW into the front panel inputs for the MR816x channels 3/4 (using the same cables as for the SR-16), both channels work perfectly. If I hook the SR-16 up to the front panel inputs for MR816x channels 1/2 or 7/8, both channels work perfectly. It is only if I try to feed channels 3/4 or 5/6 that I get the problem - but these channels work fine if I feed them from another source than the SR-16! I have also checked that the internal routing of the MR816x is correct in its software mixer app "MR Editor".

Can anyone please help me see what I'm missing here? It makes no sense to me.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search