The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What are you guys mixing into?
Old 24th October 2002
Gear Addict

What are you guys mixing into?

1/2" tape? Masterlink? DAT player? Bouncing to disk?

I need a good solution. Right now I'm thinking either I'll rent a 1/2" tape machine or rent some good 96k converters and go into the Masterlink.

Suggestions?
Old 24th October 2002
Mixing to 1/4" tape @ 15ips, and then mastering into the computer currently via Mytek ADC.
Old 24th October 2002
Gear Maniac

If you mix in Protools, bounce to disk with a Hedd inserted on the master fader. Works flawless....
If you mix from an analog console, a half inch is nice, even a quarter inch is better that any digital format. -in my ears-
Old 24th October 2002
Cranesong Hedd feeding a Masterlink - @ 96k when I can

Old 24th October 2002
Lives for gear

1" Studer
RADAR 96k
Old 24th October 2002
Gear Maniac

1/4" tape, 15 ips, no nr, Quantegy 456. It's what razor blades are for (besides stripping wires).

wurly
Old 25th October 2002
Gear Addict

1/4" Tape

What kind of machines are you guys mixing to 1/4" tape using?

I have an old Sony machine here I've been trying. Overall, I really like what it does to the sound, but the bass tends to be on the boomy side.
Old 25th October 2002
Lives for gear

ATR100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Studer A80, B67

MCI-JH110... vrey underated and undervalued machine!!!! and well worth a 1/2" conversion cos the kit from JRF is half the price of that of an ATR!!!! woo hoo!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 25th October 2002
Gear Addict

Hi Wiggy,

Does that mean you're currently using all four of those machines?

The MCI machine you're talking about... Is that the JH110-B, JH110-B-14, JH110-BX, JH110A-2-V, or the JH110B-2-H, etc.? Or all of them?

Thanks.
Old 25th October 2002
Lives for gear

ProTools Bounce to disk with system 6000 on the master mostly ... sometimes record directly to an external fostex CDRW.
Old 25th October 2002
Lives for gear

Large....

these are what i ahve been using in the past..

I only have an ATR100 1/4" these days now and prolly wont sell it..... but i said that about my other machines and gear and now my garage is empty and my studio empty... sob sob

I have owned more of these machines than i care to remember. They all have their own particular sonic signatures and the ATR is the one that i prefer the most. Suffice to say i wouldnt care either way if i was forced to use either one..

RE:MCI.. not sure... however i know that when u are oredering or asking JRF about the kits for the 110...John is pretty specific about what model you have.. there are some diffferces appraerntly so you gota know ya model #..

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 25th October 2002
I am going to get into ALWAYS mixing at 96/24

I will use my Finalizer 96 to do live 'hardware SRC' to 44.1k when I am doing 'own' mastering sessions....

That way I will always have the best quality for Archive..

Taking 96/24 to pro mastering ROCKS!
Old 25th October 2002
Gear Guru

1/4" Tascam ATR-60 30ips +6/185 with 996 or 499 or GP9.
Old 25th October 2002
One with big hooves

Either 1/4" analog or digital with a Mytek A/D. The analog setup is an A80MkII at 15ips, 456 at +6 over 185. The Mytek is the 2018 which is an older 20bit unit. Still sounds great and since it all ends up at 16 bits does it really matter THAT much?
Old 25th October 2002
Yup Jay 96/24 is stunning...

Sounds HUGE.
Old 25th October 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

I find 96kHz to sound more open and detailed, but not as ballsy or congealed, as 44kHz ..... with PSX100SE to Masterlink.

The current project in here, a 2-month album, was tracked to the Studer A820, then transfered for editing to PT MixPlus with AD8000s.

For the mix, 48 tracks of PT output via 6 AD8000s to the console, laid down to 1/2" A820 with Emtec 900.

FWIW, YMMV, etc.
Old 25th October 2002
"I find 96kHz to sound more open and detailed, but not as ballsy or congealed, as 44kHz ..... with PSX100SE to Masterlink." - Jon

I can deliver ballsy at the mix bus, so I will take the most open and detailed representation of that I can get!

Old 25th October 2002
Gear Addict

Original Cranesong HEDD (the 24 bit 44.1/48 version) to TC Finalizer (for dither ONLY) to 16/44.1 DAT.

I really want a Masterlink.

- jon
Old 25th October 2002
I DO BELIVE if you put the cranesong to 16 bit, it is a 24 bit conversion with added Cranesong Dither noise to bring it to 16bit - you may be able to ditch that finalizer AND BUY MORE GEAR!!!!!

Call scott or Dave at Cranesong to confirm , tel em Jules sent ya!

Old 25th October 2002
Lives for gear

I go 24/44.1 to DAW and or 16/44.1 to DAT via the Lucid AD9624. Considering you can get real nice 1/4" machines these days for a song, I may look into grabbing one... though I'm not sure I really have the room.
Old 25th October 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I DO BELIVE if you put the cranesong to 16 bit, it is a 24 bit conversion with added Cranesong Dither noise to bring it to 16bit - you may be able to ditch that finalizer AND BUY MORE GEAR!!!!!
Sadly this can't be done...the original HEDD is 'ditherless' and only outputs 24 bit. It also doesn't have the 'tape saturation' of the HEDD 24/96.

It may be limited by comparison but it definitley smokes any other converter I've tried

- jon
Old 25th October 2002
Lives for gear

PT, analog into the Trident 80B, Stereo Out into the HEDD (A to D), back into a stereo track in PT...

As soon as we get the insert/line-ins wired up on the Spider, we'll experiment with using it (instead of the HEDD).

Anybody got any Tuchels you don't need?
Old 25th October 2002
Sadly this can't be done...the original HEDD is 'ditherless' and only outputs 24 bit. It also doesn't have the 'tape saturation' of the HEDD 24/96.

It may be limited by comparison but it definitley smokes any other converter I've tried

No man it's GREAT!

Makes PT mixing WAY better sounding!

Sorry about the dither error!

Old 25th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Jon,
What is the layout of your console?

Blackcatdigi,
Mind me asking the layout of a Trident 80B?

Thanks
Old 26th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by RSMITH123

Blackcatdigi,
Mind me asking the layout of a Trident 80B?

Thanks
No problem. 30 mic/line X 24 bus = 54+ inputs @ mix.
Old 26th October 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

While we're on the topic, I need to find a 1/2" Ampex ATR102 in good condition by November 11. Also, a Digidesign Mix Farm.

If you know of any for sale, please email me: [email protected]

Thanks!
Old 26th October 2002
Ted
Gear Maniac

Hey Jon,

I heard my 1" at the show for the first time. It was incredible! Michael had a Boz Skaggs I" @ 15IPS, no NR, playing through headphones. I can't wait until it gets here. He does great work modifying these machines!

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 7th November 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by blackcatdigi
PT, analog into the Trident 80B, Stereo Out into the HEDD (A to D), back into a stereo track in PT...

As soon as we get the insert/line-ins wired up on the Spider, we'll experiment with using it (instead of the HEDD).

Anybody got any Tuchels you don't need?
But then don't you have to "Bounce to Disk"? Or how do you take it to mastering?
Old 8th November 2002
s2n
Gear Nut

Ampex 1/4".
Safety to Pro Tools via PSX100.
DAT...very rarely.
Old 8th November 2002
Gear Head

PT HD insert >(HEDD 192> System M6000 MD3)> PT HD> Bounce to disk @ 96K/24Bit> to manufacturing Import master file insert> HEDD 192 24bit/16Bit Dithering applied> Bounce to disk> Burn CD @ 2*Speed> send UPS to the factory> Multi platinum record sales...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search