The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann U87 from the 70s. Dodgy capsule. Should I grab it?
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_mask View Post
If there's no hand-written number on the perimeter of the capsule, does that mean it's a replacement?
If the black ink writing is missing from the diaphragm rings of Neumann K87/870 capsules, it can mean three things:

1. the capsule was cleaned and the writing came off

2. the capsule was re-diaphragmed by an aftermarket vendor

3. the capsule is not a genuine Neumann-made K87/870, but a copy.

#2 and #3 automatically result in non-Neumann sound of such capsules and a significant loss in value.
Old 14th December 2019
Gear Head

skin job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
If the black ink writing is missing from the diaphragm rings of Neumann K87/870 capsules, it can mean three things:

1. the capsule was cleaned and the writing came off

2. the capsule was re-diaphragmed by an aftermarket vendor

3. the capsule is not a genuine Neumann-made K87/870, but a copy.

#2 and #3 automatically result in non-Neumann sound of such capsules and a significant loss in value.

Thanks for your reply. I uploaded a photo of the front and back of the capsule. It's from U87i #44216 .

The mic works and sounds good. No sign of the ink other than name, 'Mann', hand-written on the inside of the big screw-cap. Clear resin sealed under screws. (?)
Old 14th December 2019
Lives for gear

Now it's clear which of the three possibilities apply in your case: #2 .
It's not an original Neumann capsule, because the diaphragms were replaced aftermarket.

Despite Gearslutzers who don't think there is anything wrong with having diaphragms replaced by third parties: I find all of them lacking in exactly what makes Neumann LD mics valuable - refinement, and an inimitable character.
Old 14th December 2019
Lives for gear

And that includes Alfred E. Neumann!
(Does anyone still read Mad Magazine anymore?)
Chris
Old 14th December 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
Now it's clear which of the three possibilities apply in your case: #2 .
It's not an original Neumann capsule, because the diaphragms were replaced aftermarket.
Thank you, Klaus. Good to know.

Quote:
Despite Gearslutzers who don't think there is anything wrong with having diaphragms replaced by third parties: I find all of them lacking in exactly what makes Neumann LD mics valuable - refinement, and an inimitable character.
Yeah, I bought this as is, so... ...and I'd never have a third party (other than Sennheiser) reskin a Neumann capsule unless they stopped servicing them. However, 44216 does sound good. Wish I had heard it before they fixed it! 0;
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_mask View Post
...and I'd never have a third party (other than Sennheiser) reskin a Neumann capsule...
Neither Neumann nor Sennheiser offer re-diaphragming of existing capsules. It's proven too labor-intensive, compared to building one from scratch.

Last edited by Klaus; 15th December 2019 at 04:13 AM..
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Head

If they, with all parts and jigs, won't re-diaphragm their own mic, I wouldn't let someone else. Time for a fresh, if not new, Sennheiser capsule, then. Thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search