The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Klark Teknik 1176 vs. Warm Audio 1176?
Old 13th March 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Island View Post
On that subject... if you're buying an 1176 clone and it's not 2U with two big dials on the front, it's just not going to look right is it?
This doesn't look like that but I think it still looks pretty nice.

Klark Teknik 1176 vs. Warm Audio 1176?-dsc03241.jpg

Moreover, every control is a 12-position switch, making recall extremely simple.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Attached Thumbnails
Klark Teknik 1176 vs. Warm Audio 1176?-dsc03241.jpg  
Old 17th March 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaaron View Post
Yeah , February. :( Let you know my impressions then...
Still waiting on mine....
Old 17th March 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick View Post

Moreover, every control is a 12-position switch, making recall extremely simple.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Gorgeous...and twice as much as 2xWA/KT-76s. Seems to be 2 schools of clones, the $4-500/channel stuff made in China and the "better" stuff at around $1K/channel. Kinda think it's worth getting a more expensive LA-2A clone because of how it reacts to vocals. The singer would "play" the compressor during tracking and I fear the cheaper clones would react differently. On the fence about 1176 clones.

BTW; they make some nice stuff. Another Stam/Audioscape competitor?
Old 30th April 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head
Has anyone compared the first KT’s that came out with the cheap ones they’re selling now?

I got two of them a year ago, and just decided to get another couple since the price dropped. I just love to fool around with those knobs making me try stuff I’ll never do with a mouse and plugins. Presets make me lazy, so the hardware route definitely makes things sound different because of the more amusing workflow. Now, if anybody made plugin controllers looking like the 1176, I would buy one! It could be totally flat I suppose, and sticking it to the wall together with other look alike controllers, I would be very happy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturations View Post
Has anyone compared the first KT’s that came out with the cheap ones they’re selling now? I got two of them a year ago, and just decided to get another couple since the price dropped. I just love to fool around with those knobs making me try stuff I’ll never do with a mouse and plugins. Presets make me lazy, so the hardware route definitely makes things sound different because of the more amusing workflow. Now, if anybody made plugin controllers looking like the 1176, I would buy one! It could be totally flat I suppose, and sticking it to the wall together with other look alike controllers, I would be very happy!
Interesting!

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick View Post

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
I love mine

PS. It also uses the same BF245A transistors (matched in this case) as in the original 1176 bla bla...

http://www.igsaudio.com/volfram#tabs=specs
Old 6th May 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
side question... not strictly related to the KT-1176

on the back where there’s XLR and Jack sockets for both input and output... what happens if you have them both connected?

i’m thinking of

XLRs for patchbay insert compression
Jacks for running guitars through

what would happen? anyone ever done this... just before i start unscrewing all the rack gear again
Old 6th May 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

on the back where there’s XLR and Jack sockets for both input and output... what happens if you have them both connected?

i’m thinking of

what would happen? anyone ever done this... just before i start unscrewing all the rack gear again
At the risk of sounding nit picky - they’re both “jacks”.

XLR jacks and TRS jacks.

But to the actual question, I don’t know the answer, electrically speaking. Would be handy to use them for different signal flows as you mention.
Old 6th May 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

i’m thinking of

Hi Hans Island, you might want to check the warm unit manual, there says something about connecting both ins and outs. It says that you might get some noise if one of them is not receiving audio.

Of course I don´t know if the Klark 76 is the same design, in the manual it doesn´t say anything about it.

Best regards
Old 18th October 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Hey Ive had a Warm wa76 in my studio for a while now and always been pretty happy with it- it seemed to sound a lot better that all the 1176 plugins I had. Trouble is that I don't own that unit so I saw a bstock kt76 going cheap and bought one. It arrived yesterday and I cant seen to get it to sound anywhere as good as the warm- the first thing I tried was all buttons in mode with a drum track- the warm distorts nicely and does that very satifying heavy 1176 compression that we alll know and love- the kt76 just sounded squashed but not in a good way It also seems to need a load more level coming out of the computer than the warm and I did try with the pad on/off. Any ideas?
The actual unit (knobs/buttons) did feel a fair bit cheaper than the warm so I don't know if this is just the later models..
cheers
Phil
Old 18th October 2019
What do you expect Mr Sonic...the KT costs about 3 dollars. And you know what they say....

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sonic Lodge View Post
Hey Ive had a Warm wa76 in my studio for a while now and always been pretty happy with it- it seemed to sound a lot better that all the 1176 plugins I had. Trouble is that I don't own that unit so I saw a bstock kt76 going cheap and bought one. It arrived yesterday and I cant seen to get it to sound anywhere as good as the warm- the first thing I tried was all buttons in mode with a drum track- the warm distorts nicely and does that very satifying heavy 1176 compression that we alll know and love- the kt76 just sounded squashed but not in a good way It also seems to need a load more level coming out of the computer than the warm and I did try with the pad on/off. Any ideas?
The actual unit (knobs/buttons) did feel a fair bit cheaper than the warm so I don't know if this is just the later models..
cheers
Phil
Exactly the same case here, compared both of them and the kt needs more gain coming into him to distort like the w76. For me is not a problem, distortion always can be added, not sure about the other way. But as I said for me is not a problem.

I think both of them are great units, and both have a different behaviours which could be handy sometimes.

Just my 2 cents
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
What do you expect Mr Sonic...the KT costs about 3 dollars. And you know what they say....

ha well the general impression I got from this thread was that the two units weren't that far off from each other! Thats the last time I trust the internet..
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sonic Lodge View Post
Thats the last time I trust the internet..
Now you're talking

Old 20th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have the KT-76 for 6 months.

No noise added.

If you've ever used original 1176's, this will behave and sound just like one.

Wonderful time we're living in. In a world where digital and plugins nuked classic studios, these type of hair splitting comparisons are silly.

Of course units will sound different. Sure, the price makes the KT suspicious. But the jury is in. This is one mind-blowing unit.

Will it survive 40 years of studio work? That, we don't know yet.
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Question: the wa73 has input and output CineMag Usa transformers... Does the klark have these?

I use the wa on bass and drive it hard bringing a beautiful 60s type distortion/color...

I've quickly tested the klark at a friend's place and it didn't have the same effect. Then the friend said: the klark is a clone of a different cleaner model. No input transformer, only Midas output....

Is this true?

Edit: found on klark website: custom-engineered MIDAS input and output transformers
Old 1st October 2020
Gear Head

To update the recording studio, we bought Warm Audio wa-76 with a wa-12 preamp, as well as Klark Technik 1176, since Klark is dirty cheap and compared with our diamond UAD 6176, Warm Audio won, a new juicy sound, Universal Audio is in second place Clark Technician is far behind from them, tested on vocals.

But Klark Technik 1176 looks much more solid outwardly than Warm Audio. It's nice to admire them, we think to put flowers on top of it))
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

I got both the 76-kt and wa76. I like them both equaly.
How ever there is a different though its small. The klark saturation is in lower frequanzys than the warm audio.

Here is a youtube video of the 76-kt.
https://youtu.be/ZD58dLqlq1c
📝 Reply