The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone have experience comparing PMC IB1S w/Bryston 4B3 verses PMC IB1S-Active? Studio Monitors
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Interesting thread... just happened on it while looking for reviews on the IB1S. I’ll never forget hearing that speaker in a mastering suite for the first time years ago. I’ve been through all sorts of speakers over the years, but I’ve never been 100% satisfied knowing that level of quality existed - and I couldn’t afford it at the time. I finally brought a pair home the other day and they’re just insane. They’re the AIII version and while I know the IB2S and higher end models have an even better midrange, I feel like at this level you’re into diminishing returns. $12,000 is a lot of money but worth every penny considering their performance. I’m curious how much better they could possibly sound powered by even more powerful amps!

Anyway, I’m absolutely thrilled - I’ve waited a lifetime to own monitors like this. Game changers!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinecellar View Post
Interesting thread... just happened on it while looking for reviews on the IB1S. I’ll never forget hearing that speaker in a mastering suite for the first time years ago. I’ve been through all sorts of speakers over the years, but I’ve never been 100% satisfied knowing that level of quality existed - and I couldn’t afford it at the time. I finally brought a pair home the other day and they’re just insane. They’re the AIII version and while I know the IB2S and higher end models have an even better midrange, I feel like at this level you’re into diminishing returns. $12,000 is a lot of money but worth every penny considering their performance. I’m curious how much better they could possibly sound powered by even more powerful amps!

Anyway, I’m absolutely thrilled - I’ve waited a lifetime to own monitors like this. Game changers!
Congratulations! indeed it's a pure/extended and enjoyable experience of music at this level.

I have a friend who owns a vintage hifi business, so he has lots of superb amps. My experience of them is that sometimes, out of nowhere, an amp works particularly well with a speaker.
Or in general big expensive amps ( McIntosh etc) just show their strength with a tight/fast bass, muscular trensient, sweet mids, and a sense that the sound is coming out easily.

I any case Ib1 sounded great with the few amps I tried.
enjoy your purchase !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search