The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bus comp for extreme metal Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Bus comp for extreme metal

So after years of reading posts on this forum, I finally created an account.

I’m looking for a super versatile bus compressor. Possibly one that can handle basic mix bus compression, to dual mono, to mastering and beyond. I record mostly really fast metal (blast beats, really fast kicks). I currently only own one outboard compressor and it’s a Chameleon Labs 7720 and it sits on my mix bus and does it’s job. I’m just looking for more versatility, and slightly higher quality. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

A compressor that I think is good for rock and metal is Smart C2. Has Dual Mono.
Good for other instruments as well.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyaeghaSteve View Post
So after years of reading posts on this forum, I finally created an account.

I’m looking for a super versatile bus compressor. Possibly one that can handle basic mix bus compression, to dual mono, to mastering and beyond. I record mostly really fast metal (blast beats, really fast kicks). I currently only own one outboard compressor and it’s a Chameleon Labs 7720 and it sits on my mix bus and does it’s job. I’m just looking for more versatility, and slightly higher quality. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Before you purchase another bus comp, I'd suggest you try Revive"s mod of the 7720.
(MAIL-IN MODIFICATION SERVICE): CHAMELEON LABS 7720 BUSS COMPRESSOR

I had a friend give me a 7720 and I had it done. Opted for the output transformer as well. It's totally not the same unit. If your after the 4000 sound I'd get the mod.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Buzz Audio Dbc 20
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I'm thinking "Andy Wallace" and then the next thought is "SSL"
Old 5 days ago
Ssl compressor for sure. Just be sure you get one with hp filter otherwise it will be pretty useless for metal.
Old 4 days ago
I know you're asking for HW advice but I bet you could do an amazing job with TDR Kotelnikov GE. It's very versatile and also very cheap to get.

When I wanna go for versatility in the outboard land I reach for my RND MBP first, and if that doesn't do the trick I will try either API 527 (wish I could afford a 2500 because that is a beast to work with).

I agree with having the SSL-flavour covered, and as crille_mannen said, make sure to have HPF on it.
I just bought the TK Audio BC1 Anniversary Edition - what a great SSL inspired comp (and I have the SSL X-Rack stereo comp for comparison but I've always been annoyed by the lack of HPF).
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Many great metal mixes have been done with an SSL bus comp without hpf. I actually prefer without most of the time, I like when the compressor responds to the low end.
But it's good to have the option to choose.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofool View Post
Many great metal mixes have been done with an SSL bus comp without hpf. I actually prefer without most of the time, I like when the compressor responds to the low end.
But it's good to have the option to choose.
Well if you're having 16th notes kicks blasting in 220bpm you won't be able to go over 1db of GR if you don't want to crap out the entire mix. Just sayin'
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

alan smart C1

Andy wallace = no hpf on the compressor.

tried a lot of them and have a smart C1.

compression wise and tone wise it's Nr1!!

regards
francisco
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

I record mostly heavy stuff and I use a TK Audio BC501 on my mix-buss (also rules on a drum kit). There's a 19" version too. I love it for brutal stuff. The attack / release times, and just the general action of it seems almost taylor made for stuff like that. It's capable of really controlling what's going on in the mix. Doesn't do dual-mono, but it has some other handy features like 3-diff HPF frequencies, blend, auto release, THD button which is subtle, but cool. I just always leave it on. It doesn't do the "hit it hard and make it crunchy" thing well, but that's fine. I distort the sh*t out of everything before it gets to the 501 anyway.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac
TK Audio is my favourite bus compressor. Stick the hpf on and set it to 60ms attack, fastest release. Wet/Dry to around 80% and you're laughing. I love the sound of the smart C2 and was going to purchase one, but the TK was recommended and after hearing it I'm not looking to change it for anything.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
Well if you're having 16th notes kicks blasting in 220bpm you won't be able to go over 1db of GR if you don't want to crap out the entire mix. Just sayin'
that is the exact reason i use the brauer approach when doing heavy metal. drums get their own bus comp (plus parallel), bass gets its own (with its own parallel... sometimes sent to the drum parallel) guitars & vocals each get THEIR own.. and then kiss it with a limiter when summing (KISS, the bus comps should be doing most of the heavy lifting!)
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Misner View Post
that is the exact reason i use the brauer approach when doing heavy metal. drums get their own bus comp (plus parallel), bass gets its own (with its own parallel... sometimes sent to the drum parallel) guitars & vocals each get THEIR own.. and then kiss it with a limiter when summing (KISS, the bus comps should be doing most of the heavy lifting!)
I use multiple busses and compression too. Still like to compress it all in the end though!

Ive kind of an ssl bus comp addict. Had as many as 4units at one time. All is similar but different in stereo width transient shaping etc.

C1 very hifi, great stereo width no hp though which is a huge bummer!
Tk audio, a bit duller sounds better when really pushed say 4-6db of gr

I have two clones which competes with the c1 without a problem and cost 1/4. So if OP has a chance to demo a few units he should!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search