The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to store microphones properly between use
Old 11th August 2018
Gear Maniac

How to store microphones properly between use

I have a number of mics, mostly Beyer dynamics, but also a pair of ribbons, and some sdcs and ldcs. I record at most a couple of times each month, and between takes I store the mics in plastic bags (to protect against dust) in pouches, which I in turn keep in plastic storage boxes. Does this sound like a good way to store them? Is there anything I should think about?

/Magnus
Old 11th August 2018
Lives for gear

The mic's I use frequently stay out in the room on stands, covered by clear sandwich bags when not in use.

Mic's not used frequently are stored in their boxes and cases and put away.
Old 11th August 2018
Lives for gear

Always store with a packet of silica gel to absorb moisture. Otherwise you are locking in the moisture with the microphone - not good for the capsule.

Ribbon mics should be stored with the ribbon in the vertical position to prevent sagging.
Old 11th August 2018
Gear Head

I’ve never experienced a mic failing or degrading from just sitting around. They’re often on display for months or even years at stores without stories of ill effects. What would I hear or see leaving a mic on a stand in place in a nice clean home studio for a few years?
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear

home depot plastic shoe boxes with quarter size holes punched in the lids and cheese cloth glued under that so the boxes breathe but no dust
Old 12th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Always store with a packet of silica gel to absorb moisture. Otherwise you are locking in the moisture with the microphone - not good for the capsule.

Ribbon mics should be stored with the ribbon in the vertical position to prevent sagging.
Xander, those are great tips! I do already follow them. However, one of the reasons I asked about mic storage, I realise now, is that I am a bit worried that I am overdoing it with wrapping the mics in plastic bags inside their pouches. As you recommend, I keep one or two small bags of silica with each mic. How often should these be changed though?

My my ribbons are kept in an upright position.

/Magnus
Old 12th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
home depot plastic shoe boxes with quarter size holes punched in the lids and cheese cloth glued under that so the boxes breathe but no dust
That is a good idea! Thanks!

/Magnus
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_N View Post
Xander, those are great tips! I do already follow them. However, one of the reasons I asked about mic storage, I realise now, is that I am a bit worried that I am overdoing it with wrapping the mics in plastic bags inside their pouches. As you recommend, I keep one or two small bags of silica with each mic. How often should these be changed though?

My my ribbons are kept in an upright position.

/Magnus
I just bought the silica packs linked below. They are supposed to change color when they have absorbed all the moisture they can. They can be reactivated by heating in an oven or microwave. Since I just got them I can't say how well they work, but the reviews on Amazon seem good.
Amazon.com: [25 Packs] 10 Gram Orange "Dry & Dry" Premium Indicating(Orange to Dark Green) Silica Gel Packets - RECHARGEABLE: Home & Kitchen
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
I just bought the silica packs linked below. They are supposed to change color when they have absorbed all the moisture they can. They can be reactivated by heating in an oven or microwave. Since I just got them I can't say how well they work, but the reviews on Amazon seem good.
Amazon.com: [25 Packs] 10 Gram Orange "Dry & Dry" Premium Indicating(Orange to Dark Green) Silica Gel Packets - RECHARGEABLE: Home & Kitchen
This could make for an interesting yet again observation/test as to how long gel caps take -or saturate in their attempt to 'suck up all the moisture in the room in all but a vapor sealed container.

Sharp11 said; The mic's I use frequently stay out in the room on stands, covered by clear sandwich bags when not in use.

Out in the room' or in the drawer' a non sealed bag protects from dust and allows the mic to ride the natural room humidity curve.

edited to add.. zip loc's -open enough for a balance of dust protection and breathability.

Last edited by Wayne; 12th August 2018 at 11:45 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search