The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrade from Toft ATB24? Consoles
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Upgrade from Toft ATB24?

Greetings,

I have one of the original Toft ATB24 consoles and I'm considering an upgrade. I'd be looking in the ~15k budget range, so perhaps the Trident 78, or Audient ASP4816?

My main interest is for mixing, so I'd be more interested in, for instance, the quality of the EQs or summing over the mic pres.

Is a ~$15k console likely to give me a noticeable improvement over the Toft? Any specific recommendations? Unfortunately since I live in northern California, I'd be making this decision primarily on reviews/recommendations unless I want to drive to LA..

Thanks for any/all advice
Pete
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Where are you located country wise and what currency is your budget spend?

How many channels?

Would you consider a matrix?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Yes, sorry. US. 15k USD. By Matrix I assume you mean SSL Matrix? Looking online it's a bit out of the price range, but I could be convinced to save up if the difference is worth it over other options. Please advise.

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Forgot to answer the channel question. I'd like 24, but would be perfectly happy with 16..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Craft View Post
Forgot to answer the channel question. I'd like 24, but would be perfectly happy with 16..
I have the ASP4816. Just on the channel count thing, In addition to the 16 channels You can use the 8 x subgroup insert returns for an extra 8 line inputs (17-24). So you would really want a min 24ch ADDA for this desk (or more if you want to return up to its max of 48ch back to the desk for mixdowns). The routing flexibilities on this desk are fantastic.

Steve
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Regarding the matrix...

I'm intrigued. In most ways it seems to be a perfect fit, but no EQ? So I'm either left with EQ plugins or buying piles and piles of outboard analog EQ? I'm not digital-phobic, but analog EQ seems like one of the most compelling reasons to go through an analog console? Without that, why not just get a control surface?

I'm asking this with full humility. I'm an amateur relative to others on this forum.. Trying to understand.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

I'm not sure if it would interest you, but PMI Audio is planning on putting out a lower tier Trident console around the end of the year to replace the Toft ATB (Trident 68 I believe). It would be higher quality I'm sure, but would still feature 8 channel buckets. Alan Hyatt speaks about it at the end of this thread:

Toft ATB vs Trident 8T : audio samples

And you can see a photo of it here:
Trident Audio Developments on Instagram: “It's nice to come back from a little time off to something new to play with”
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Yes matrix is summing and daw controller and console functionality (auxes, master section etc) with moving faders.

I think this is the direction I’ll be heading in this year.

No EQ or preamps is no issue as I have those bases covered w loads of outboard. All I need to do is give one a spin to see how it sounds.

Wiggy
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

All fantastic information. I love the idea of the SSL, but really wish it had EQ. I've never been super happy with EQ plugins and not eager to buy 16 channels of outboard EQ. So close..

The new PMI console sounds like a great option, as does the Audient..
Old 6 days ago
High end used Brit consoles (not of the N word) sell for 2 cents on the dollar and there are plenty to choose from.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks Jim. Any specific suggestions on what to get and where to find it? Not ebay I assume..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Craft View Post
Thanks Jim. Any specific suggestions on what to get and where to find it? Not ebay I assume..
If you're in the US probably Vintage King.. Many moons ago I had an SSL4K (second hand) and it's not quite as simple as buying a vintage console and winning.

You have to take into account the sharp rise in electricity, maintenence and heat. Which is sweet in winter, not so much in the height of summer.. Also shipping / setup is an interesting and expensive concept..

Personally I'd go for a new Trident 78 with Lundahl upgrades (plus a long warranty if you can get one), we had a 32 channel 80 series at college and as far as I remember it was a sweet sounding board, not overly coloured but not boring like some are..

Before I picked up my Shelfords I did muse around the thought of upgrading my MTK-22 with a new board, looked at the SSL XL-Desk, API Box, Audient ASP and the Trident 78..

I can't remember much about the 80 series to compare with the 78, it was a decade and a half ago but the new Trident seemed to be the most practical and from what I could tell sounded pretty good too.

Last edited by ShadowAMD; 6 days ago at 05:40 AM..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Maybe a vote for a Neotek also.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Yup lots of neotek elans n the odd elite around in that price range
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search