The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPL GoldMike 9844 Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
SPL GoldMike 9844

Hi,
I’m thinking about getting an SPL GoldMike 9844 and have a few questions that would be awesome if anyone had some insight on and I thank you for taking the time to go through this paragraph. Firstly, is this a good preamp that will upgrade my sound not to million dollar level but pretty professional sounding from my current ART TubeMix’s built in preamp. Secondly, is this the right thing to buy if I have pretty good Mics (in my opinion, I don’t want to upgrade those now as I’m happy with mine), to upgrade sound quality as much as possible, I think the preamp is the second biggest deciding factor, is this gonna make the biggest difference for the money? Thirdly, it says that this preamp has a dynamic range of 111DB, if my audio interface is 24 bit (which is a dynamic range of 144DB), is this not making use of the full sound quality ability and is this preamp kind of ruining the sound, I know the difference is slight, but is it doing anything to it? Or am I comparing two different things here. Lastly, I can’t really afford the SPL GoldMike MKII, is the difference between the 9844 and the MKII that big as far as sound quality of the preamp? I know there are some more features on the MKII like the limiter, but I’m fine missing out on that. Also one more question! I’ve heard of starved tube preamps that use solid-state preamps and just use the tube to run the signal through at the end but this is actually bad for the sound as opposed to being amplified by a tube alone. The GoldMike is a solid state and tube hybrid, but can you choose to use just the tube for lower volume amplification and is it a real deal tube or that fake starved stuff.

Thanks so much to anyone who made it through that boring set of questions, any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Earcatcher's Avatar
You're comparing real dynamic range vs theoretical dynamic range.

For more info on the Goldmike 9844, read this review: SPL GoldMike Model 9844 Test :: Bonedo It's in German so you may need a translator.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Thanks! What is the difference between dynamic range and theoretical dynamic range? I’m fairly new to audio
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
andychamp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
C‘mon!
First you hit the guy with technical jargon and then you leave him hanging?
WTF kinda attitude is that?
Either help all the way or not at all, but that‘s just lousy.
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
andychamp's Avatar
@JeremyAb
The 9844 is one of SPL‘s best selling units. It’s so popular, they kept it around even after introducing the MKII.
It is a no-frills, reliable preamp. Around here, it gets a lot of use with our Coles overhead mics, they seem to play together well.
It doesn‘t sound as „tubey“ as a Manley or UA preamp, but it doesn‘t sound nasty either, as many cheap tube circuits do.

The 111dB are just the range within which the unit remains linear. Above that, it will gradually start to saturate, compress and distort the signal.
This doesn‘t have to be a bad thing per se, it may even be pleasing (one of the reasons people love tubes and transformers).

The bigger danger is hitting your converters too hard and generating digital distortion, which sets in with the first bit above their range, and is not gradual.
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
@JeremyAb
The 9844 is one of SPL‘s best selling units. It’s so popular, they kept it around even after introducing the MKII.
It is a no-frills, reliable preamp. Around here, it gets a lot of use with our Coles overhead mics, they seem to play together well.
It doesn‘t sound as „tubey“ as a Manley or UA preamp, but it doesn‘t sound nasty either, as many cheap tube circuits do.

The 111dB are just the range within which the unit remains linear. Above that, it will gradually start to saturate, compress and distort the signal.
This doesn‘t have to be a bad thing per se, it may even be pleasing (one of the reasons people love tubes and transformers).

The bigger danger is hitting your converters too hard and generating digital distortion, which sets in with the first bit above their range, and is not gradual.
Can I ask you where do you like its meters to hit in an average tracking situation? Do you crank til maximum or have you found a sweet spot?
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Thanks andychamp, very useful info and thanks for not sending me to the beginners forum
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
The most I need to record at once is 3 Mics, can I put them through a mixer then the stereo outs to the preamp so I don’t have to spend double the money, that way I’m amplifying two signals. But I wouldn’t use the cheap built in preamps of the mixer since it’s just for putting them together I would get that $60 Mackie. What do you think?
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
andychamp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedrik83 View Post
Can I ask you where do you like its meters to hit in an average tracking situation? Do you crank til maximum or have you found a sweet spot?
I may get careful when approaching red on the meters, but I‘m more concerned about the meters on my converters, TBH.
I never had the scenario where I started running the GoldMike too hot before having a decent level on my AD, and I‘ve also never tested it to its limits.
I may occasionally enter the nonlinear zone, but as long as I don‘t hear any nasty fuzz, I‘m fine.
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
andychamp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyAb View Post
The most I need to record at once is 3 Mics, can I put them through a mixer then the stereo outs to the preamp so I don’t have to spend double the money, that way I’m amplifying two signals. But I wouldn’t use the cheap built in preamps of the mixer since it’s just for putting them together I would get that $60 Mackie. What do you think?
Your mics would be running through the Mackie pres anyway, plus the Mackie‘s summing bus, before hitting the GoldMike.
You‘d need some kind of passive summing device for your idea to work.
Also, you‘d be feeding the SPL a line signal, which I‘m not sure it can take cleanly.
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Even if Mackie’s pres are off completely? So the way to make it work and even the line level wouldn’t be a problem if I get a passive summing mixer? Thanks
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Any passive summing mixers with 3 or more XLR inputs into 2 XLR outputs? All I see is D-Sub Input I’d need a snake which is kind of unnessecary for my situation.
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyAb View Post
Even if Mackie’s pres are off completely? So the way to make it work and even the line level wouldn’t be a problem if I get a passive summing mixer? Thanks
Nah, I would bypass any mixer's preamplification before the Goldmike, unless it's Neve or equal.
Old 1 week ago
  #15
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
I may get careful when approaching red on the meters, but I‘m more concerned about the meters on my converters, TBH.
I never had the scenario where I started running the GoldMike too hot before having a decent level on my AD, and I‘ve also never tested it to its limits.
I may occasionally enter the nonlinear zone, but as long as I don‘t hear any nasty fuzz, I‘m fine.
Makes sense to me!
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
So it is possible to bypass any changes to the signal and bypass the preamp of an active mixer? Sorry for sending this back and forth just want to make sure I’m all set to buy it and know everything involved well.
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 
andychamp's Avatar
Your best bet - provided 2 of the 3 sources are identical - would be to connect those to the same input on the SPL via a reverse XLR Y-split cable (2x female into 1x male) and the remaining source to the other input.
Going through the Mackie, with however little gain, and then into the SPL will never sound better than going directly into the GoldMike.
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Sorry man, I gotta go through it one more time cause I’m not understanding. So the most I’ll use at once is 2 overhead drum Mics, one left and one right, and a bass drum mic. I want one overhead on one channel and the other on the GoldMike’s second channel, I was thinking the kick drum would be panned to the center with a mixer so half the signal would be right and the other left. How would I get this 3 mic mix into the 2 channel GoldMike without disturbing the signal with a Mackie but being able to send it in already stereod the way I want? Thanks for your time
Old 1 week ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Earcatcher's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
C‘mon!
First you hit the guy with technical jargon and then you leave him hanging?
WTF kinda attitude is that?
Either help all the way or not at all, but that‘s just lousy.
Given how the further discussion developed I think I gave him a very wise answer. The beginner's forum is there to get answers that some users in the other forums may not have the patience for. When I give an answer here, in the regular forum, that would need no longer than ten seconds to understand in my own estimation, I think it is better to protect someone by pointing at the beginner's forum. I might even have answered to it there.
Old 1 week ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 
andychamp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyAb View Post
Sorry man, I gotta go through it one more time cause I’m not understanding. So the most I’ll use at once is 2 overhead drum Mics, one left and one right, and a bass drum mic. I want one overhead on one channel and the other on the GoldMike’s second channel, I was thinking the kick drum would be panned to the center with a mixer so half the signal would be right and the other left. How would I get this 3 mic mix into the 2 channel GoldMike without disturbing the signal with a Mackie but being able to send it in already stereod the way I want? Thanks for your time
Theres is nothing to gain by running the Mackie into the SPL.
The Mackie‘s output is a line level signal, the SPL‘s inputs are made for weaker, mic-level signals.
Not only will the SPL not improve the already „Mackiefied“ mix, it will also very probably distort.

If you absolutely WANT to use the SPL, ditch the Mackie and limit yourself to 1 OH & 1 kick, or just 2 OH.
There‘re plenty of ways to get a decent drum sound with only two mics.
Old 1 week ago
  #21
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
Theres is nothing to gain by running the Mackie into the SPL.
The Mackie‘s output is a line level signal, the SPL‘s inputs are made for weaker, mic-level signals.
Not only will the SPL not improve the already „Mackiefied“ mix, it will also very probably distort.

If you absolutely WANT to use the SPL, ditch the Mackie and limit yourself to 1 OH & 1 kick, or just 2 OH.
There‘re plenty of ways to get a decent drum sound with only two mics.
I'd dedicate the Goldmike to the two OH (left & right) and I'd let the third mic go through the preamp of the mixer, or directly to the preamp of the audio interface (perhaps even better than a Mackie preamp).
What microphones would be involved?
In any case, I'd avoid to premix 3 sources to 2 channels and then go to the preamp... I think you would regret not having all the three well separated after rec, trust me.
Old 1 week ago
  #22
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Thanks Andychamp for assisting me with that difficult person, some people just have nothing better to do but attack people.
Old 1 week ago
  #23
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Friedrik83 by what Mics you mean what models or what types as in what I’m recording. Is it ok that the tracks aren’t separate even if it is one instrument (drums)? Just asking to learn not questioning you.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump