The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Converts and la-2a style compressor
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

Converts and la-2a style compressor

Hello,
I started using my La2a style compressors for tracking. I noticed that their output distorts when tracking if I have my converters set at +4. It’s clearly the compressor distorting. They both seem to distort on output before reaching a usable level within Pro-tools. The level will be measuring -30dBfs while fully in the red on the compressors output. If I set my converters to -10 I can obtain peaks at -16 without distorting the output the compressors. I’m feeding them with my API 212 L preamps which have an output impedance of 85ohms.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

I’m using the WA-2a clone. You have the signal path correct.

I’ve tried without and with the pad. I think after a few hours of troubleshooting and ready specs on my other gear I am fairly certain the issue boils down to the APO 212l having a 85 ohm output and the Wa2a expecting a 600ohm input.
Old 6th August 2018
Lives for gear
API preamps send out a very hot level. I suggest putting a 10 or 20 db pad at the output of the API.
Old 6th August 2018
Lives for gear

-10 is the new +4

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
Your converters should not be set for +4. That’s generally for unbalanced consumer gear, like dj stuff, and a very limited amount of pro audio stuff.

-10 will be for pretty much all pro gear.

It is FINE that the API has a lower ohm output than the next gear’s input. It *should*...by about six times or more as a rule of thumb, iirc. So, 85 into 600 is fine, and then some.

So, adjust your converter to the -10. Make sure you don’t hit the input of your WA2 too hard. Maybe first, check the level there without the comp in line, adjust so that your peaks are coming into the DAW around -16, -12...no hotter!

Now patch back into the compressor.

Adjust so you’re getting about 3-6dB or reduction on the meter. Now adjust output so that you’re peaking at -16, maybe -13/12ish at most.

Sounding good now? Good luck.
This forum is such a beautiful rivulet of disposable knowledge
Old 6th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyToby View Post
Instead of being so passive aggressive and snarky you could instead just say that it is incorrect information. That would be a lot more helpful to other members reading, especially those that are confused about the differences between -10 and +4.

In fact, there’s a great sticky in another section about it: +4db, -10db...what does all this mean exactly?
Old 6th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyToby View Post
Sorry, woke up from a nap, had a brain fart. I’m blaming it on temporary dementia from a torn rotor cuff...
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMiller View Post
I’m using the WA-2a clone. You have the signal path correct.

I’ve tried without and with the pad. I think after a few hours of troubleshooting and ready specs on my other gear I am fairly certain the issue boils down to the APO 212l having a 85 ohm output and the Wa2a expecting a 600ohm input.
I have an API 3124+ (75 ohm output impedance) and a UA LA-2A with ( 600 ohm input impedance) and haven't experienced this problem. I wonder if your 212l pad is working properly, but that's just a guess.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search