The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
CAPI Platinum Series
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

CAPI Platinum Series

Apologies if this has been discussed, but searches came up with nothing.

Looks like CAPI recently released Platinum versions of some of there preamps, these are fully assembled modules with some extra features.

Classic Audio Products, Inc.

Here's a snippet from the VP26:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPI
We created the Platinum line so we could build modules and not compete or be confused with the massive buy/build/sell movement that has grown beyond belief over the last many years. Whenever you see a CAPI-Platinum module, rest assured knowing it was built by hand, by us right here in Nashville Tennessee.

The mic audio path is very much similar to the popular kit VP26. The main changes are Platinum exclusive CA2618 1:8 input transformers and Platinum exclusive CA2623-Pt Litz wire output transformers. In addition, Scott Liebers has created a ground up exclusive Platinum Super Dot opamp. Scott has referred to the Super Dot as his best sounding opamp yet!

A FET Direct Inject has been added to the front panel of all Platinum preamps. The front panel jack is auto switching so inserting a 1/4" plug automatically activates DI mode. In a quest to create a very good utility DI, it seems as though we have created a great one! Its our own ground up circuit that goes thru the input transformer for some extra harmonic love.

We have added a stepped output pad that follows the output transformer. The pad goes from 0dB to -30dB in 6dB increments. User tip; do not engage the mic pad when tracking drums. Turn the Preamp Gain fully CCW, pad the output by 12dB and enjoy.

All Platinum preamps have a buffered two pole (-12dB) 80Hz High Pass Filter. We reached out to our professional engineer friends and 80Hz was the unanimous choice for a single frequency filter.

All Platinum preamps have a selectable input impedance. 1k or 3k for the VP26-Pt. 3k can be very useful for ribbon mics or just a great tonal option for any other microphone.
These look really cool and I think will help get these preamps into the hands of non-DIYers. As much as I do love some of these added features, I do love the DIY aspect so not for me per se, but definitely has me itching for more CAPI...
Old 1st August 2018
Gear Guru

Really smart looking modules, all the features you would ever need.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

We just brought the VP26-Platinum and VP312-Platinum back home for direct to consumer sales. This has allowed us to drop the prices significantly to compete with the mass assembled in Asia modules. Dollar for dollar I don't think there's a better deal on the market. The VP26-Pt is now $489.99 and the VP312-Pt is $499.99.

http://capi-gear.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=66_114_68
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I just picked up 4 VP28 Platinums. The build quality is awesome and beautiful. These units are heavy, pound for pound a great value. They sound great so far but I’ve only tracked bass thru the DI and mixed a parallel kick track at this point. Will be tracking drums in the near future. They’ve got some headroom as I was hitting them hard to send a hot signal into RND 535’s for some harmonic bloom. Love those meters!
I have a pair of early model VP26 and VC528, all built by Jeff. Never had a problem with them and it’s been, what, 12 years? I have other high end gear that hasn’t fared as well. This platinum series is on another level though, approaching military grade!

I hope to see Jeff eventually offering full builds of the complete CAPI line. I still have some empty slots to fill. Yeah I’m shilling here without shame! Nothing in it for me financially.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search