The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Dead Audient ASP880?
Old 27th July 2018
Dead Audient ASP880?

Hi everyone,

I bought a used ASP880 six or eight months ago from a friend of a friend, and up until last week it's been a really wonderful piece of gear. Compared to the OctoPre I had in its place before, everything I recorded through it was a million times punchier and more detailed.

But starting a week ago, it started blowing fuses: I'd put a new fuse in there, start it up, and the front panels lights would flash for a quarter of a second before everything goes dark, and the fuse blows.

I've used nothing but the same T1A-type fuse which comes in the unit from the factory, and nothing has changed between the beginning of last week and that following Friday when my unit decided to stop turning on.

I've been in touch with Audient support, I suppose; I haven't heard from them in three days. I know I'm not going to get warranty service, so I opened up the unit and nothing seems to be out of ordinary on a visual inspection (which I know means nothing), except that the goop that surrounds the four colored power supply wires (to the front panel) looked pretty gross. I resoldered them tonight and nothing's different. Still lights up for a part of a second, then goes dark.

There must be a short somewhere, right? Has anyone encountered this issue and had it resolved? Or perhaps, could someone point me in the right direction toward a worthwhile repair tech on the east coast?
Old 27th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masecar View Post
Hi everyone,

I bought a used ASP880 six or eight months ago from a friend of a friend, and up until last week it's been a really wonderful piece of gear. Compared to the OctoPre I had in its place before, everything I recorded through it was a million times punchier and more detailed.

But starting a week ago, it started blowing fuses: I'd put a new fuse in there, start it up, and the front panels lights would flash for a quarter of a second before everything goes dark, and the fuse blows.

I've used nothing but the same T1A-type fuse which comes in the unit from the factory, and nothing has changed between the beginning of last week and that following Friday when my unit decided to stop turning on.

I've been in touch with Audient support, I suppose; I haven't heard from them in three days. I know I'm not going to get warranty service, so I opened up the unit and nothing seems to be out of ordinary on a visual inspection (which I know means nothing), except that the goop that surrounds the four colored power supply wires (to the front panel) looked pretty gross. I resoldered them tonight and nothing's different. Still lights up for a part of a second, then goes dark.

There must be a short somewhere, right? Has anyone encountered this issue and had it resolved? Or perhaps, could someone point me in the right direction toward a worthwhile repair tech on the east coast?
Hello there,

I'm sorry to hear your you're having issues with your ASP880. As you mention, when a unit starts blowing fuses, it does usually indicate that theres something pulling too much current. This could be a short or a component which has died.

I've talked with our technical support team seeing as you've not received a reply over the last three days. It does look like that was an mistake on our side and I can only apologise for that as we always strive to reply to all messages within 24 hours. I've asked one of our Support agents to get back to you as soon as possible to point you in the right direction and hopefully get your ASP880 back up and running again as soon as possible.

-Audient
Old 27th July 2018
Lives for gear

Another story:
I accidentally broke one of the pots of 880 and got spare pot free from good guys @ Audient and changed it myself to save some time.
Exelent service in my situation

Matti
Old 27th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld View Post
I've talked with our technical support team
And they responded very quickly! I've been in touch with the friendly folks at Audio Design & Service about either sending my unit to them or buying a new power supply card. Thank you for your help.
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

I'm in the same boat. Purchased an ASP880 a couple of years ago. It's been a workhorse... powered on everyday and all day (as it should be). Always doing the job, and then... I started noticing the DI inputs were scratching. Then the green signal indicators stopped working. Then it started crashing. At first it would crash when clipped. By "crashing" I mean that all Peak indicator lights would turn on, and remain on, and audio would stop passing.

Audient was good about replying to emails, but... the unit is boxed up and traveling to Audio Design & Service right now. I can only expect it will be a several hundred $$$ repair.
Old 3rd April 2019
Here for the gear
Just plugged in our Audient 880 for the first time last night. Got an incredible drum sound going, then DEAD.
Haven't gotten in touch with anyone from Sweetwater/Audient yet. Major let down, and I'm in Trinidad...
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Are issues common with these units? They seem to be the best bang for buck for a 8-channels ADAT expansion but I get worried by threads like these. Seems like support has been pretty good - anyone else want to share their experience?
Old 24th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKSmith View Post
Just plugged in our Audient 880 for the first time last night. Got an incredible drum sound going, then DEAD.
Haven't gotten in touch with anyone from Sweetwater/Audient yet. Major let down, and I'm in Trinidad...
Exact same thing just happened to me. I received mine from Sweetwater this past week, have had it plugged in for a few days of mic setup and now it's dead. Fuse is fine. :(
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld View Post
Hello there,

I'm sorry to hear your you're having issues with your ASP880. As you mention, when a unit starts blowing fuses, it does usually indicate that theres something pulling too much current. This could be a short or a component which has died.

I've talked with our technical support team seeing as you've not received a reply over the last three days. It does look like that was an mistake on our side and I can only apologise for that as we always strive to reply to all messages within 24 hours. I've asked one of our Support agents to get back to you as soon as possible to point you in the right direction and hopefully get your ASP880 back up and running again as soon as possible.

-Audient
With all the additional posts, can you comment on the consistent problems of unit failure? We all understand the units are made in China. No problem. But there seem to be consistent theme of dead ASP880s.... and that sort of is a problem for us and for you. I'd feel better about Audient's decision to save on manufacturing, if the units had a longer warranty or if Audient covered the repair costs.

As is... I spent $385 repairing my $1400 unit. That's about 20% of the cost, and I'm afraid that one day I'll have a session and NEED it... and it's going to be dead again.
Old 26th August 2019
Here for the gear

This is sad to see. I just bought an open box ASP880 2 months ago and it sounds great. Today I noticed it went dark when nothing had happened or changed, and now it no longer powers on. The fuse is fine.
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Head

ASP800 here. So far stable for one year (knock on wood). Maybe a different story with these units?
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Maniac

I was literally about to get one of these. They looked like the final solution to my problems. However, I am concerned about reliability too because I can't afford the time and hassle to deal with issues. Not to mention, where I live it will be HARD to get any help without having to mail things overseas.

I would also like to know if this is a recurring theme? Or have all the fluke accidents just ended up on this thread?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have an 800 for two years and not a single problem. Sounds great too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would also like to know if this is a recurring theme? Or have all the fluke accidents just ended up on this thread?
The name of the thread is "Dead Audient" after all. But considering the number of units out in the wild, this seems a pretty small thread and some of the responses are from people not having problems. Like me.

One thing I am curious about is whether the lack of a power switch can effect the powering up in such a was as to cause a power supply failure if the unit is receiving a surge every time it is turned on. I don't have enough electronic know how to make such a determination but others around here do.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjuxtable View Post
They seem to be the best bang for buck for a 8-channels ADAT expansion
That title goes to the Steinberg/Yamaha MR816.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
The name of the thread is "Dead Audient" after all. But considering the number of units out in the wild, this seems a pretty small thread and some of the responses are from people not having problems. Like me.

One thing I am curious about is whether the lack of a power switch can effect the powering up in such a was as to cause a power supply failure if the unit is receiving a surge every time it is turned on. I don't have enough electronic know how to make such a determination but others around here do.
I understand that but it's not the only such thread I read either. Yeah, funny you should say that, I was wondering if it was a good idea to have no power button.

Aside from these things though it really looks like the unit I want.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
That title goes to the Steinberg/Yamaha MR816.
Oh! I don't even know that one! I will have a look.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well... the ASP880 that I purchased new, and have paid to have repaired, is dead again. Seems to be a problem related to the clocking, as I can turn it off and it functions with internal clock... but makes a horrible noise when externally clocked and after some time stops outputting any sound.

Don't buy this piece of gear.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Never a problem with mine except what I broke myself and got spare parts really quick

Matti
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
Never a problem with mine except what I broke myself and got spare parts really quick

Matti
Curious... ever clock your unit externally? Use word clock?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yep, RME UFX II as the master
at the time , sold everything after retiring
but the point is I never had a problem with these

Matti
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjuxtable View Post
They seem to be the best bang for buck for a 8-channels ADAT expansion
Depends what you're looking for. Our (Cranborne Audio) 500ADAT has just started shipping and has a pretty incredulous value proposition. The conversion quality is up there with Lynx, PrismSound, etc and then you get a fully customisable analogue front-end where you can use any 500 series modules you might fancy. And if you want to build your collection over time you can bypass the 500 series slots and use it as a line level converter. And the 500ADAT is about the same price as the ASP880.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Without the preamps mind you.
If I was buying again I would consider Cranborne seriously

M.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
Without the preamps mind you.
If I was buying again I would consider Cranborne seriously

M.
Thanks Matti!

True about the preamps but you are getting conversion and clocking on an entirely different level. In fact, if you run BNC or clock off the 500ADAT's ADAT clock, it will improve the performance of your host interface - it's like adding a master reference clock as an added bonus for the price of an ADAT expander.

And there are affordable 500 series preamps if you need mic level. But you can do line level without any modules.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Original post was of Audient,
thats why

Matti
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
Well... the ASP880 that I purchased new, and have paid to have repaired, is dead again. Seems to be a problem related to the clocking, as I can turn it off and it functions with internal clock... but makes a horrible noise when externally clocked and after some time stops outputting any sound.

Don't buy this piece of gear.
Well I ended up not getting the one I was gonna get (seller never replied when trying to contact). I wonder if I am better off then, but honestly it looked really great for the price and seems like it could destroy anything in the same cost-range and even stuff above it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I have an ASP800 and ASP880. Two years no issues. They sound great!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSwaltz View Post
I have an ASP800 and ASP880. Two years no issues. They sound great!
Oh. Interesting. You have both? Any chance you could let me know how different they are from the perspective of someone that owns and uses both? Thanks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkon View Post
Oh. Interesting. You have both? Any chance you could let me know how different they are from the perspective of someone that owns and uses both? Thanks.
The pres are the same according to audient. They sound pretty much the same to me. Snappy fast and clean variety. The transformer color channels on the 800 allow you to round of some transients if you want. The 880 has high pass filters on each channel which is dope. In the end it’s just a features thing. The sonics are very similar.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSwaltz View Post
The pres are the same according to audient. They sound pretty much the same to me. Snappy fast and clean variety. The transformer color channels on the 800 allow you to round of some transients if you want. The 880 has high pass filters on each channel which is dope. In the end it’s just a features thing. The sonics are very similar.
Yeah, one of the things I found interesting was the high pass filters on the 880. I figured they might be more useful than the transformers. It's a shame neither model has BOTH. Anyway they sound pretty close then. Thanks for that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search