The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dead Audient ASP880?
Old 27th February 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkon View Post
Well I also looked into those. The Presonus didn't really look adequate for me. The Midas looks like the closest thing to the Audient, however, I realized at the last moment that the DB25 doesn't send an return as I assumed it did the same way that the ASP880 does for inserts. Other than that though it seems like the most similar thing out there.
I agree, Presonus doesn't look adequate for me either. I didn't realize that about the Midas either. Man, the Audient is just perfect for me.

I guess it's wait and see for me for now.
Old 28th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
Might check the fine print... with a store backed warranty, you can exchange it for a replacement or get free repair service. You can't at some future point get your money back (aka return it).

At what point will your time dealing with repairs and exchanges put your work in a bind? If you're doing this professionally and need tools that won't fail... Avoid this unit.
Yeah I am kind of just making do with what I have now because of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
I don't want to jinx this before I actually have it back in my hands and have verified that it's working, but I got a message from UPS this morning saying my unit would be delivered to me tomorrow. I only shipped it to California two weeks ago. If in fact it arrives safely and the problem is solved, the total time between first experiencing the problem and having it resolved will have been exactly one month. So it may not be as bad as you think.
I hope yours is fine. Unfortunately because of my location versus where it's bought from it does take almost a month each way. The reason I know this is because I have had to return and get an exchange multiple times now and this has happened each time, although the last time they kindly sent it a bit faster, but I had to pursue them to do so.

The whole ordeal lost me a few months. Never mind, it's all done now though.
Old 28th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkon View Post
I hope yours is fine. Unfortunately because of my location versus where it's bought from it does take almost a month each way. The reason I know this is because I have had to return and get an exchange multiple times now and this has happened each time, although the last time they kindly sent it a bit faster, but I had to pursue them to do so.
Ah, I see. Sorry to hear that. Sounds very frustrating.

Mine came back last night -- haven't had a chance to even plug it in yet, but I did notice that the repair invoice they sent back with the unit said "DIODE" under "parts". So apparently there was a fault with that part.
Old 29th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah, I see. Sorry to hear that. Sounds very frustrating.

Mine came back last night -- haven't had a chance to even plug it in yet, but I did notice that the repair invoice they sent back with the unit said "DIODE" under "parts". So apparently there was a fault with that part.
Good luck with it then. No idea what that would mean since I know nothing about electronics.
Old 2nd March 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Took it out today and used it. Worked fine when trying it out. After powering it down and then coming back to it and powering it back on, channel 7 starting popping and cracking really bad. I powered off and back on and then it stopped.

I will try it a few more times but thinking that it’s going back.
Old 12th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I figured I would follow up — my repaired ASP880 is working fine and I am liking the sound of it a lot. Not much in the way of “color” but it’s a clear, solid, euphonic sound—an audible cut above most interface preamps. (I need to shoot it out with my built-in Apogee Ensemble pres, which also sound quite nice. First impression is that the Audients are just one small tick sweeter/less neutral, but I need to test that.)

Also want to reiterate that the Audient support response was stellar — fast and helpful all the way, including a followup email from the rep who originally spoke to me to make sure the process was working for me.
Old 12th April 2020
Gear Maniac

And I also must report that my unit is doing fine and I am glad I bought it. Whatever glitch it had that one time must have been in my interface and not it.
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Head
Today the ASP880 totally died for the second time. When I got this it worked for about 3 weeks and now its totally dead again a year later. Ive totally lost all confidence with Audient. Biggest problem is that Im fully booked and Im lacking 8 pres in the studio...
Old 22nd May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconica View Post
Today the ASP880 totally died for the second time. When I got this it worked for about 3 weeks and now its totally dead again a year later. Ive totally lost all confidence with Audient. Biggest problem is that Im fully booked and Im lacking 8 pres in the studio...
That sucks. Sorry to hear that. It's great that you're fully booked though! What are you going to replace it with?
Old 23rd May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I figured I would follow up — my repaired ASP880 is working fine
Also want to reiterate that the Audient support response was stellar — fast and helpful all the way, including a followup email from the rep who originally spoke to me to make sure the process was working for me.
I have a broken ASP880 (clock issue) that I was setting up for repair just as Corona shut down was starting.. so I held off

Since I'm in US and out of warranty, Audient referred me to a repair facility in Burbank, CA.. Audio Design & Service.. Is this who repaired your unit?
Old 24th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rosebrook View Post
I have a broken ASP880 (clock issue) that I was setting up for repair just as Corona shut down was starting.. so I held off

Since I'm in US and out of warranty, Audient referred me to a repair facility in Burbank, CA.. Audio Design & Service.. Is this who repaired your unit?
That's who did mine... and I believe the only authorized repair center in the US.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rosebrook View Post

Yup, that’s the place.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yup, that’s the place.
Thanks for the confirmation. I had unit all packed up and was ready to contact them to arranged the repair... but states were just starting shutdowns and I envisioned the possibility of my ASP880 just sitting in limbo somewhere falling through the cracks of normal repair workflow.

Not critical for me to have fixed at this time... so waiting seemed prudent.
Old 9th August 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

my dead 880

Bought my Audient 880 from Sweetwater about 5 years ago. Last year, the front panel lights started flashing and the thing didn't pass audio. Set it aside for a while while I went back-and-forth with tech support; took some pictures; they thought it might be a power supply issue, recommended that place in CA and was quoted about $400 to repair (which is almost 1/3 of the price i paid for it)...

Had it sitting for a few months, after which I tried powering it up again and the damn thing worked! It worked for a few months; now the same problem.

Which makes me think if the damn thing started working again, it couldn't be a fried component or a dead short but maybe a cold solder joint??

I may note that when I looked inside there last time there seemed to be a lot of solder points that appeared to be rather dark, like they got too much juice.

Would it be redundant at this point to suggest that this may not be a reliable unit?

I feel for anybody who counts on these every day as a professional. LAME

Should I go in there with a soldering iron and try to reflow some of the joints? I don't have experience with surface-mount things; I would be doing it with a regular soldering iron. Would this be foolish?

By the way, I am using an Apogee Quartet as the master and an old Mac Pro tower.

COSMIC MATRIX

Last edited by Cosmic Matrix; 9th August 2020 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: wrong info, typos
Old 9th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Matrix View Post
Bought my Audient 880 from Sweetwater about 5 years ago. Last year, the front panel lights started flashing and the thing didn't pass audio. Set it aside for a while while I went back-and-forth with tech support; took some pictures; they thought it might be a power supply issue, recommended that place in CA and was quoted about $400 to repair (which is almost 1/3 of the price i paid for it)...

Had it sitting for a few months, after which I tried powering it up again and the damn thing worked! It worked for a few months; now the same problem.

Which makes me think if the damn thing started working again, it couldn't be a fried component or a dead short but maybe a cold solder joint??

I may note that when I looked inside there last time there seemed to be a lot of solder points that appeared to be rather dark, like they got too much juice.

Would it be redundant at this point to suggest that this may not be a reliable unit?

I feel for anybody who counts on these every day as a professional. LAME

Should I go in there with a soldering iron and try to reflow some of the joints? I don't have experience with surface-mount things; I would be doing it with a regular soldering iron. Would this be foolish?

By the way, I am using an Apogee Quartet as the master and an old Mac Pro tower.

COSMIC MATRIX
If you have ZERO experience with SMD soldering, and the joints are SMD components, you should NOT try it on this. It's not impossible, and I might do it myself... but I've built SMD synths and have the right tools (Hot Air rework station).

So... yeah. It might fix it. Take it to a local repair shop.

And yeah... these units die like crazy. Have a dead one on my shelf if anyone wants to buy it for parts. Send me a PM
Old 30th August 2020 | Show parent
I have two Audients: asp008 (the old one, with the loud fan) and asp880 for more than 5 years . They work like a charm (knocking in the wood) and I used them a lot. For the money there is no better 8 channel preamp in the world.

Tom.
Old 6th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasylek View Post
I have two Audients: asp008 (the old one, with the loud fan) and asp880 for more than 5 years . They work like a charm (knocking in the wood) and I used them a lot. For the money there is no better 8 channel preamp in the world.

Tom.
They are good. As long as they dont stop working. Dont trust my ASP880 at all after it died and been repared twice.
Old 6th September 2020
Gear Head

I personally experienced a different sort of failure with the 800 and the 880 (bought both). In both units the phantom power created significant noise in the channel making the unit unusable when using condenser microphones. I since purchased the Midas xl48 and have had no issues
Old 30th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

My audient asp880 also died shortly after a few uses. I ended up getting a refund and grabbing an apollo x8. The audient pres sounded great, but with my bad experience of it dying in the middle of tracking drums and all the other anecdotes it makes me pretty nervous about purchasing another...
Old 19th October 2020 | Show parent
Dang this thread is still going strong!

Figured I'd circle back around and give everyone and update on my unit: I sent it to AD&S in California back in 2018 after I ordered just a power supply card, installed it, used it for about three months, and it died again. So I had them check it out and do work as necessary. If memory serves, it was a power supply problem again.

While it was out on repair I got myself a Furman Voltage Regulator, and it turns out my power fluctuates between 114 and 125 volts throughout the day.

I got my 880 back probably two years ago now, and it has worked perfectly ever since.

I also had an 800 for about two years that was adequate, but the 880 seemed more open and detailed. The 800 also worked flawlessly the whole time I had it.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masecar View Post

While it was out on repair I got myself a Furman Voltage Regulator, and it turns out my power fluctuates between 114 and 125 volts throughout the day.
I got a Furman voltage regulator too and since that time (about 7 months) it's shut down automatically 5 times in the middle of the night. I think it is saving my audio and computer gear! Granted I'm asleep and my audio gear is off, but my mac mini more often than not stays on overnight.

I am also glad my ASP880 is through the voltage regulator. I got mine about a year ago and have it set up for drums and it is great so far. knock on wood
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSwaltz View Post
I have an ASP800 and ASP880. Two years no issues. They sound great!
Hi, Your post caught my eye. I was considering getting an ASP800 to add to my ASP880, but am tring to find out how, and if they can be daisy-chained. I use the 880 with an iD22 I/F, but research makes me think I may have to get something with 2 ADAT ports. Are your units linked/daisy-chained, and if so how? Many thanks
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMay View Post
Hi, Your post caught my eye. I was considering getting an ASP800 to add to my ASP880, but am tring to find out how, and if they can be daisy-chained. I use the 880 with an iD22 I/F, but research makes me think I may have to get something with 2 ADAT ports. Are your units linked/daisy-chained, and if so how? Many thanks
You wouldn't necessarily need 2 ADAT ports, but you'd need at least 16 input channels. Both the ASP800 and ASP880 have line outputs as well as ADAT outputs, so any of the following configurations would work:

2x ADAT in
1x ADAT in plus 8 line in
16 line in
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

wow. I bought one on reverb a few weeks ago for my new remote kit. It was intended to go adat into a prism titan for 8 more channels. The seller said it was in mint condition - he bought it in 2017, used it a few times and then didn't need it anymore. I had the first gig with it yesterday and one channel is dead and a few others are hissy. I asked for a refund and he immediately gave it to me and then said "The unit worked perfectly when I shipped it, but i've had other audient gear die on me so I wanted to get rid of all of it. I believe you about the faulty channels so here's your refund but don't send it back because i'm not going to repair it."

damn. I wish I had seen this thread before i bought it in the first place.

It might be time for a tascam dyna8p.
Here for the gear

Thank you for your quick reply. Please excuse my ignorance, my knowledge is lacking, here, which is why I joined. What do you mean by 16 input channels, or plus 8 line in? I currently have an an ASP880 and iD22. The iD is my Interface, but I now gather that I would need an iD44, with it's two ADAT optical ins to run the ASP800 alongside my current set up. The mention of 16 inputs baffled. Thanks
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMay View Post
Thank you for your quick reply. Please excuse my ignorance, my knowledge is lacking, here, which is why I joined. What do you mean by 16 input channels, or plus 8 line in? I currently have an an ASP880 and iD22. The iD is my Interface, but I now gather that I would need an iD44, with it's two ADAT optical ins to run the ASP800 alongside my current set up. The mention of 16 inputs baffled. Thanks
What I meant is that because both the ASP880 and ASP800 have line outputs as well as ADAT outputs, your interface doesn't necessarily need 2 ADAT inputs in order to use them both. In fact, it doesn't necessarily need any ADAT inputs -- an analog-only interface would work fine as long as it has 16 line inputs.

The bottom line is that each unit has 8 channels. That's a total of 16. In order to use both of them at once your interface also has to have 16 input channels, but they can be in any combination of ADAT and analog.

Last edited by nightchef; 3 days ago at 11:39 PM..
Here for the gear

Thanks. I see what you mean. Most appreciated
📝 Reply