The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dead Audient ASP880?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
Well... the ASP880 that I purchased new, and have paid to have repaired, is dead again. Seems to be a problem related to the clocking, as I can turn it off and it functions with internal clock... but makes a horrible noise when externally clocked and after some time stops outputting any sound.

Don't buy this piece of gear.
Just an update to keep potential buyers informed...

I contacted Audient customer service 4 weeks ago. They replied and asked for serial number and shipping info from the previous repair. I sent that information... and haven't had a reply since. I've emailed that contact three times over the last four weeks and they GHOSTED me. ZERO replies after first response.

Maybe you can say "no problem with my unit" or "just that one guy's opinion"... but this report on their customer service goes beyond defense. No one should be treated this way. Making cheap gear in China is fine... treating people like this? There's no excuse.

Selling this unit as-is (busted digital clock) for parts. Going to eBay/Reverb soon. Accepting offers till then. Great deal for the DIY types or anyone interested in shipping it off for a repair.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Cranborne certainly looks like a nice option until you factor in the cost of eight 500 series preamps.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
Cranborne certainly looks like a nice option until you factor in the cost of eight 500 series preamps.
Hey Crazy4Jazz,

Yes an all-in-one 1U 8-channel preamp that uses ICs and doesn't have the high-end conversion, summing mixing, etc will of course be much cheaper. It's not quite apples-to-apples.

If you think about what you are getting with a 500ADAT (high end conversion, reference quality master clock, 8 to 2 summing mixer) and then the ability to build your own custom front end using any 500 series preamp flavours, it's quite a powerful setup. But I take your point that it is in the next price bracket up - but it's much more than the next bracket up in terms of performance and capability.

Also, if you are doing line level stuff or have outboard preamps somewhere, you can bypass the 500 series slots and use all the functionality of the 500ADAT (conversion, inserts, summing mixer, etc). Even as a line level converter and ADAT expander with no modules installed the 500ADAT is quite capable.

Thanks Crazy4Jazz!

Sean
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
Just an update to keep potential buyers informed...

I contacted Audient customer service 4 weeks ago. They replied and asked for serial number and shipping info from the previous repair. I sent that information... and haven't had a reply since. I've emailed that contact three times over the last four weeks and they GHOSTED me. ZERO replies after first response.

Maybe you can say "no problem with my unit" or "just that one guy's opinion"... but this report on their customer service goes beyond defense. No one should be treated this way. Making cheap gear in China is fine... treating people like this? There's no excuse.

Selling this unit as-is (busted digital clock) for parts. Going to eBay/Reverb soon. Accepting offers till then. Great deal for the DIY types or anyone interested in shipping it off for a repair.
Well, I am about to get an ASP 800 AND 880 because it's the only way to fit my requirements (16 channels of preamp with expansion via adat) without spending a ton more (a pair of isa 828 or grace). I can't say that I am not concerned though now after reading your experience.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search