The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
More Monitor Controllers? Monitor Controllers
Old 14th July 2018
Here for the gear

More Monitor Controllers?

I have seen a number of threads regarding monitor controllers on here- but I am still scratching my head as to what I want. I know this topic is basically done to death but anybody, feel free to chime in!

The Drawmer MC2.1 seems like a great option, and the ability to flip phase of the left or right channel when summing to mono is a great feature. The form factor of the cheaper CMC2 is great (same with the more expensive units)... but I've seen a couple reviews stating that the 1/4" jacks on the CMC2 (and likely, the forthcoming CMC3) units aren't secured in any way- so there's another point of failure. For so many of the monitor controllers people mention, the knobs seem to eventually get noisy... I think I also read that turning the knob up on the Drawmer when you're passing too many subharmonic frequencies can cause weird clipping as well... So as much as I WANT to get the Drawmer, I am on the fence at this exact second. Reliability aside- can we reach some sort of consensus on whether these Drawmer units color the sound much?? Anyone using any of these and happy with them?

The Coleman M3PH seems to be a popular unit but some dislike the push buttons on the front. Anyone using these? Do they sound as good or better than the Drawmers? These don't have the ability to flip phase of one channel while you're in mono, but you can still switch to mono-

The Dangerous Source supposedly has great DAC, and would be handy for editing or mixing on my laptop, traveling or whatever- but this unit offers the fewest features for proper monitor controlling, relative to the others. Has anyone checked to see if they're truly more transparent than anything else?

I've seen negative reviews of the passive NOS McOne, the Presonus Central Station, the Mackie Big Knob--- I can't afford an Avocet or a Grace. Is the arena of monitor controllers an arena of sad, sorry compromise, or is the internet simply an inherently overwhelming void of contradictory information.

Thanks for your advice everyone!
Old 14th July 2018
Lives for gear

I’m super happy with my SPL MTC 2381. Nowhere as pricey as the CraneSong and Grace stuff but miles better than Mackie/Drawmer/Presonus. Your monitoring takes no hit, it’s completely transparent and dead silent. If you turn the volume up to 100, it’s totally silent. It’s got gobs of options and has been very handy for location sessions.
Old 14th July 2018
Lives for gear

SPL 2489 here ... used to do surround ... and the 2381 beat out every piece of monitor controller gear a friend had brought into his studio to test .. the SPL was just NOt There .. you could hear every other box we tested .. so that said alot to me .. and i owned my 2489 for several years before he bought his 2381 .. and good friend and i both bought site unseen the same day ..

mine is so old now, i am looking for something New Too pretty soon !!!
Old 15th July 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtlnts View Post
is the internet simply an inherently overwhelming void of contradictory information?
Of course it is. That's what makes it such a fun place! (Also, remember this is GS; contradicting information from opinionated users is what makes this place tick..!) (SIC)

That being said, I'm perfectly happy with my CMC2. It has the exact number of in/out's I need for my modest home set-up. Decent headphone amp. Very affordable. Works as advertised.

I have experienced no issues with in/out 1/4" jacks, scratchy pots or 'colouration of sound'.

At my place of work I'm using the Mackie Big Knob Passive without any problems. Simple. Cheap. Effective.

T
Old 15th July 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Attic View Post

At my place of work I'm using the Mackie Big Knob Passive without any problems. Simple. Cheap. Effective.

T
+1
I use Mackie Big knob passive to switch the output of RME HDSP 9652 (+analog i/o) card between Genelecs 1029A and an amp with passive pair of "hifi" speakers. I haven't had any reason to complain, I don't hear any coloration of sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search