The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Annoying ringing at 5K Dynamic Microphones
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Annoying ringing at 5K

I find myself having to do a narrow cut at 5K on my vocals regardless of the mic used going into a Vintech 473 LA2A Jh110A AD16x. Ive tried a vintage U87, SM7b, RE20 and there's a ringing at 5K that invariably needs to be cut to clean up the vocal. Is this a room resonance or other phenomenon that others have experienced?
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by janalex View Post
I find myself having to do a narrow cut at 5K on my vocals regardless of the mic used going into a Vintech 473 LA2A Jh110A AD16x. Ive tried a vintage U87, SM7b, RE20 and there's a ringing at 5K that invariably needs to be cut to clean up the vocal. Is this a room resonance or other phenomenon that others have experienced?
Well, since you have tried several different types of mics, i think a safe assumption would be room resonance or something environmentally based causing it. Highly unlikely that 3 different mics exhibit the same 5k resonance...
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Does it only happen on your vocals, or other people singing too? What about when recording other things?

Do you track vocals in the same room you mix in?

Are their other instruments in the room you are either tracking or mixing in, that could be ringing when you sing?

Do you hear it even when you put on headphones (taking your mix room acoustics out as a potential factor)?

Try to isolate the issue more.
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Maniac

These are great points. I will check all the tracks in the mix for it. I am checking in headphones. Yes the tracking and mixing rooms are one large space and sometimes there may be an instrument in the room however one of the vocal takes was done in a different room and the 5K spike is still seen.
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Sennheiser hd800?
Old 14th July 2018
I have the same issue and find myself having to cut in that area on my vocals all the time. Doesn't usually matter which mic is involved and probably is just specific characteristic of my voice in digital recording. It never happened as much on tape, if fact this is the freq that was usually increased for clarity. You have the tools with the compressors and mics, if you can fix the problem with EQ and it's not your listening environment then just make music.
Old 14th July 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by janalex View Post
These are great points. I will check all the tracks in the mix for it. I am checking in headphones. Yes the tracking and mixing rooms are one large space and sometimes there may be an instrument in the room however one of the vocal takes was done in a different room and the 5K spike is still seen.
I would guess headphones or room.

Tony
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search