The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mackie 1640i: Using Outboard Gear in DAW Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Head

Mackie 1640i: Using Outboard Gear in DAW

Hi all, longtime Mackie 1640i user here, but I just picked up my first piece of outboard gear, a stereo bus compressor (Stam SA4000, a SSL 4000 clone), and I'm having a bit of trouble using it as a hardware insert in Logic (I/O plugin). Anyone have any experience with this board/interface combo and using hardware inserts in a DAW? Care to share how you hook up your outboard gear, etc?

I can't seem to slam my outboard as much as I would expect to compared to its plugin brothers, and I wonder if it's because the Mackie has some hardware quirks or something. I've tried plugging it (1) into channels 3-4 using XLR - TRS cables and into/out of the Line-Ins and Insert Jacks, and (2) using XLR-TRS Y-Cables into just the insert jacks, but both almost sound like I'm parallel compressing. I've made sure I've turned off direct monitoring on those channels, so I'm confident that's not it...

Anyway. Could be something simple I'm missing. But I'm mostly curious how OTHERS are setting up DAW I/O hardware inserts using this board and maybe I'll catch my mistake along the way.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search