The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Siemens U273b Boosts by 12db. Is that normal?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Siemens U273b Boosts by 12db. Is that normal?

Hi-

I just bought a pair of U273b. Regardless of it sounding amazing, it boosts the signal by about 12db at max..

Perhaps im not understanding the (only) 2 controls, but it looks like input(or threshold?) and release... any idea? thought?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

IIRC it should be 10dB by factory default. The boost is intended as a fixed gain makeup.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann View Post
IIRC it should be 10dB by factory default. The boost is intended as a fixed gain makeup.
Well it affects the reduction to my ears so it does not sound like a post compression make up to me…is it really post process?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It´s a feedback compressor. It´s sidechainsignal is taken from the output of the compressor. That way the amplifiers gain will affect the sidechain signal level.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It´s a feedback compressor. It´s sidechainsignal is taken from the output of the compressor. That way the amplifiers gain will affect the sidechain signal level.
Got ya. Well, many feedback compressors, including the API's don't just add gain at the end of the process. Is there an attenuator missing? it don't make sense considering it was mostly used as the final stage at broadcast...was it adding 10db to the program material? im not sure where an attenuator is supposed to come...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think it makes most sense in (vintage) broadcast as it is. Back then (60s) there were strict inhouse rules about levels. Tweaking to taste was not yet invented, at least in Germany. Engineers had to follow these rules. That meant that the limiters were set to a certain threshold and engineers fed them with a certain input level, so the result would be a certain amount of compression/limiting, hence a certain loudness and output level.
We don´t work this way anymore, don´t we....

Btw, I have a part of a Siemens white paper in english about these, not sure if U273 or a or b version. Let me know if you want to have it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it makes most sense in (vintage) broadcast as it is. Back then (60s) there were strict inhouse rules about levels. Tweaking to taste was not yet invented, at least in Germany. Engineers had to follow these rules. That meant that the limiters were set to a certain threshold and engineers fed them with a certain input level, so the result would be a certain amount of compression/limiting, hence a certain loudness and output level.
We don´t work this way anymore, don´t we....

Btw, I have a part of a Siemens white paper in english about these, not sure if U273 or a or b version. Let me know if you want to have it.
Hey Thanks. Sure, would love to see it if ou have a photocopy!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Send me your email.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search