The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is this sibilence or not?
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Head

Is this sibilence or not?

Working on a mix, I know my ears are sensitive to the high end - are you all hearing bad sibilence here?
I've done some basic eq/de-ess but still hearing it, not knowing if I'm hearing it or just hearing it's ghost
Attached Files

Arise7.12.18.mp3 (7.26 MB, 185 views)

Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rchristophc View Post
Working on a mix, I know my ears are sensitive to the high end - are you all hearing bad sibilence here?
I've done some basic eq/de-ess but still hearing it, not knowing if I'm hearing it or just hearing it's ghost
it's slightly sibilant but not that bad. This is an average amount IMO . It's fine
I wouldn't use a desser though that can actually make it worse and it can cause other issues. You can use a DAW to apply EQ to only the syllables that are problematic. Just eq those phrases accordingly.
Old 13th July 2018
I've heard worse! I'd be inclined to manually ride down a few. And at 1.17 (for example) it sounds lisp-y. So maybe back off the de-esser and just ride down the loud esses.

I usually use a mixture of de-essing and manual rides - plus I'll pop anything that has whistle-y esses into RX and just notch out the ringing frequencies. But I don't notice that here.
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Head

Super helpful thanks guys - I will work on manually riding the parts that seem worst

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search