The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stam Audio US Tour
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Stam Audio US Tour

By this point I’m sure some of you have been out to one of the events and have been able to meet Josh and check out the gear. What are you’re thoughts? Impressions?
Old 1 week ago
The Stam team was awesome here in LA! We listened to his mics. I own some of the gear so I am happy.
Old 1 week ago
JAT
Lives for gear
I can let you know tomorrow. Going tonight.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm dying to hear more about the Stam 67, especially compared to the Stam 47 tube. I've heard a lot of shootouts of the Stam 47, but not so much the 67 so would love to hear how it sounds in comparison. If you end up hearing those two, I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
I'm dying to hear more about the Stam 67, especially compared to the Stam 47 tube. I've heard a lot of shootouts of the Stam 47, but not so much the 67 so would love to hear how it sounds in comparison. If you end up hearing those two, I'd love to hear your thoughts!
I have one of his 67’s on order - and also would love to hear the opinions of those who have heard it first person.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
The Stam team was awesome here in LA! We listened to his mics. I own some of the gear so I am happy.
Did you get to try the Pultec?
Old 1 week ago
I didn't :/
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I heard Josh was 2 months late
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
I heard Josh was 2 months late
But he wasn't 2 Dollars Short...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
But he wasn't 2 Dollars Short...
Looking at his Fairchild clone - looks like he’s coming in at about $7k short :p
Old 1 week ago
JAT
Lives for gear
The tour was great. And Josh is a great guy and knows his stuff.

It was mostly about the mics - we had a Nuemann 87, and a Stam 47, 47 FET and 67 set up. Did a couple of vocal run throughs, male. I just laid back and listened, not microscopically, but generally. And guess what. The 47 had the low mid thing and was great on bringing out the growl in everything, whether it was appropriate or not. The FET was best (to a couple of us) on a lower male voice who let it rip, a little. The 87 and 67 were close (as they should be, since the 87 originated as a SS version of the 67) and sounded almost like a finished track (although the lead engineer said he'd much rather EQ the 47 since there more is there).

Josh had a new stereo pultec there, but it was just the case. The studio was ambient lit for performance, not as a showroom. But it looks killer, and the price will be far from low end. He did have the single channel Pultec (w/ guts) there to play with. I didn't get to, there were too many other local performers there, rather than engineers, seeing if they could unintentionally break the sound. Which was interesting, since as soon as it was switched in the guitar sound got a lot sweeter with good tubes and circuitry to flow through. It was that Pultec sound, even as that sound was pushed all over the place with random sweeps of frequencies (most of them weren't engineers). I didn't play with it but got a good sonic show of what his Pultec can do ;-)

Overall, it was worth the evening. Great sound and people and good prices.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post

It was mostly about the mics - we had a Nuemann 87, and a Stam 47, 47 FET and 67 set up. Did a couple of vocal run throughs, male. I just laid back and listened, not microscopically, but generally.
How did the Stams compare to the Neumann?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post

It was mostly about the mics - we had a Nuemann 87, and a Stam 47, 47 FET and 67 set up. Did a couple of vocal run throughs, male. I just laid back and listened, not microscopically, but generally. And guess what. The 47 had the low mid thing and was great on bringing out the growl in everything, whether it was appropriate or not. The FET was best (to a couple of us) on a lower male voice who let it rip, a little. The 87 and 67 were close (as they should be, since the 87 originated as a SS version of the 67) and sounded almost like a finished track (although the lead engineer said he'd much rather EQ the 47 since there more is there).

Josh had a new stereo pultec there, but it was just the case. The studio was ambient lit for performance, not as a showroom. But it looks killer, and the price will be far from low end. He did have the single channel Pultec (w/ guts) there to play with. I didn't get to, there were too many other local performers there, rather than engineers, seeing if they could unintentionally break the sound. Which was interesting, since as soon as it was switched in the guitar sound got a lot sweeter with good tubes and circuitry to flow through. It was that Pultec sound, even as that sound was pushed all over the place with random sweeps of frequencies (most of them weren't engineers). I didn't play with it but got a good sonic show of what his Pultec can do ;-)

Overall, it was worth the evening. Great sound and people and good prices.
That's interesting...I ordered two of the Pultecs for stereo use. I wonder if I can switch to a single stereo unit. Then again, it probably doesn't really matter much does it.
Old 1 week ago
JAT
Lives for gear
It might have been the Fairchild w/o guts that was on display. I came in late.

As to the Nuemann against Stam, the 67 sounded great and was shaped much like the 87 ai. The 87 was brighter, was the biggest difference I heard. The 47 sounded more 47ish than either of those, with more mid lows and saturation and growl. If we could have tested electric and acoustic I'd have a better idea, but It took a while to record through 4 mics and then play back tracks. Plus there there were lots of people attending, including some students from the studio. A shout out to Fiftey50 here in Dallas for hosting the tour. We checked each mic on 2 different voices, both male, so it wasn't a traditional shootout, mano y mano across various instruments. I liked all the mics, but obviously some worked better on either voice. As above, the 47 FET was a winner on one voice, surprisingly. Just goes to show. Both the tube mics hung in with the Neumann as far as detail goes, tho the ai was easier to hear the top end.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I have a few items on order with them. Looking forward to tryin the 47 and 87 and hope they work well for my uses
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search