The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Revox G36 price? Electric Guitar Amplification
Old 12th July 2018
Here for the gear
Revox G36 price?

I'm looking to buy a Revox G36 from the 60s, all tubes, nice vintage reel to reel recorder.
Somebody has offers me to trade my Fender Twin Reverb from late 70's (all original, works great) for his Revox G36 (I have to test it, but the seller said to me that its working perfectly). I don't know how much the Revox G36 cost, but I think that its less than my Twin.
Here in Argentina there is another one from a audio store (they also fix and do service to vintage audio equipment) that sells it for $1200 dolars with 1 year of warranty (keep in mind that in Argentina are very rare reel to reel and all vintage equipment in general, everything cost more).
What should I do? Any idea?
And last thing, can I use the G36 with two Shure sm57 connected direct to the mic imputs?
Thanks!
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

I'm just some guy on the internet, but I'd strongly advise AGAINST doing this. That Revox is cool in a museum-piece kind of way, but it's old even by reel-to-reel standards. It's also not the most flexible for incorporating into a modern setup, I think it has unbalanced ins/outs? So even using it for basically just the preamps could be tricky. Can you plug the SM57's into it directly? Actually, no you can't, not easily. I think it has RCA ins/outs I believe, so even that would be a hassle. Basically it's one of those things where if you have to ask about it, it's probably best to avoid it, because this is a highly-highly-highly specialized area where you will be spending hours working on anything BUT recording music.

Reel-to-reels require constant maintenance and tinkering and calibration, etc. and it doesn't sound like you are already intimately familiar with this exact machine, so I don't see a reason to take on a gigantic headache and the expense of restoring/maintaining a 60's reel-to-reel machine. If you were already familiar with this exact model (maybe you had one in the past and loved it) then sure it might be a fun project. But basically reel-to-reels are just... a headache. It is not something for a novice to entertain if the focus is on music and not studying electronics and restoring old vintage machines. That's just my opinion.

The price? I would say... free to $100 because it's going to require a lot of money to get it operational in a usable way. Even if it looks operational now, has it been serviced and calibrated, when? By whom? Are the heads in good shape (doubtful)? Does the seller know? Is there somebody local and affordable you trust who specializes in SIXTIES old tape machines? That's a subset of a subset. Do you have a plan for obtaining the tape, etc? The Revox has some particular tape requirements, you can't just use any ol' tape sitting around, you'll need to research it.

Enjoy your silverface Twin, they're great!
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

They go for just above 500eur on german ebay.

revox g36 | eBay

That's kind of reasonable for some fun with tape and tubes I guess.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search