The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A technical conversion question... Metering
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

A technical conversion question...

Hi,
Me and a friend would like to built a small hardware audio analyzer something like TC Electronic's Clarity M and i know that there's an A/D conversion going on at the inputs.I don't want to measure from any console or something but straight from a drum machine or a sampler like an MPC into this little box.Does it need to have outputs with a D/A stage (there's no audio processing) or the outputs can be bypass/Through?
Sorry i'm a newbie to all of this...

Thanks
Yorgos
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

210 views and no reply?Anyone?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The reason nobody answers maybe has something to do with "being new to all this" and wanting to build something very difficult for reasons you don.t specify.

What is it you want to achieve exactly?
Why not just buy the clarity m thingy?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I need something portable and battery powered to quickly check the mix on my MPC Live when i take it out of the studio...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There is no A/D conversion after the inputs on the Clarity M, that thing only has digital inputs.
The MPC live only has analog outputs, so you'd of course need an analog input (followed by an ADC) on your analyzer if you wanted to patch the two together.
I'm not sure what you mean by this though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgos Arabatzis View Post
Does it need to have outputs with a D/A stage (there's no audio processing) or the outputs can be bypass/Through?
All of the analog outputs on your MPC are preceded by a DAC, because the outputs are analog and the gear producing the sound is digital.
What do you mean by "the outputs can be bypass/through" I really can't figure out.

You're better off asking these kind of questions in the Geekslutz section, but I recommend you abandon your idea of building something like that analyzer, as you seem to really have no clue about some basic stuff that's only a small part of what you need to know to build what you're planning to.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I’m considering also a scenario that i want the Analyzer to be in between to the MPC and my console/speakers..Will the analyzer need D/A on it’s outputs or i can get away with through outputs?In other words can the input signal on the analyzer be splitted into 2 signals one going through the A/D for the graphical processing and the other straight to the outputs?Through seems more logical to me cause there’s no audio processing inside the analyzer..We’ve already spoken with coders that can program the analyzer and only the technical part is missing before we proceed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yorgos,

I remember reading something about a.spectrum analyzer app for your phone. Its portable and battery operated.
Youtube has a video about a diy kit that goes along with this piece of software.

Might wanna check that out.

Goodluck
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pief View Post
Yorgos,

I remember reading something about a.spectrum analyzer app for your phone. Its portable and battery operated.
Youtube has a video about a diy kit that goes along with this piece of software.

Might wanna check that out.

Goodluck
Any links?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search