The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Noise in the line - Power conditioning? Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Noise in the line - Power conditioning?

I've got some noise in a couple of tube mics with power supplies. I've tried different channels, different power supplies, different tube mics. I have the same hum, noise. Everything is grounded. I have a session later today. Mics requiring 48 seem to be fine. Suggestions? Do I need a power conditioner? Or what can I do to clean this up besides general power restructuring?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A quality power strip (surge protector) like a GE 14096 should be sufficient to clean up dirty power.

I have dirty power where I live (and record) and my tube mic and tube pre's are silent when plugged into my power strip, but when plugged directly into the wall socket there is unacceptable noise. The same goes for my guitar amplifiers.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
A quality power strip (surge protector) like a GE 14096 should be sufficient to clean up dirty power.

I have dirty power where I live (and record) and my tube mic and tube pre's are silent when plugged into my power strip, but when plugged directly into the wall socket there is unacceptable noise. The same goes for my guitar amplifiers.
Thank you. This is the only place I've noticed it, so far!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

So will a regular surge protector also reduce noise or is it a special type?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The best surge protector I've found that cleans up dirty power is the GE 14096.
Old 1 week ago
If its a ground loop no GE power conditioner is going to fix your problem unfortnatley.

Make sure your tube power supply, preamp and interface power (and anything else in the chain) are all plugged into the same outlet.

Even though everything may be grounded.....you still can have ground loops.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by contramark View Post
If its a ground loop no GE power conditioner is going to fix your problem unfortnatley.

Make sure your tube power supply, preamp and interface power (and anything else in the chain) are all plugged into the same outlet.

Even though everything may be grounded.....you still can have ground loops.
thank you. How can I determine if I have a ground loop and how do I fix it?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
thank you. How can I determine if I have a ground loop and how do I fix it?
Well for starters.....Read my post.
It's all in there
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Well for starters.....Read my post.
It's all in there
I did read your post. So that’s just it? Just make sure everything is connected to the same outlet? I always do. I thought there was some way of determining internally if there’s a ground loop
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I did read your post. So that’s just it? Just make sure everything is connected to the same outlet? I always do. I thought there was some way of determining internally if there’s a ground loop
Yep that's it.
No you can't really measure ground loops....(at least from what I know)

If you have everything (including the Mic Power Supply!) in the same outlet, then that is good. There still could be some noise coupled into the signal from a potential difference in grounds from the preamp to the tube power supply.

WARNING: I DON'T RECOMMENDED AS A FIX
But as a test you could try carefully floating the 3rd prong from the Tube Mic Power Supply. If this fixes the issue then there is some interaction internal to your preamp that the mic doesn't like.

I had this issue with a Preamp once, and along with the designer we actually determined a better place to ground one of the internal signals to the preamp which fixed the buzz.

-----------------------

I guess I should also ask....is your Microphone Preamp Transformer Balanced? (has an input and output transformer?)
Not that if it was that means it shouldn't have any issues... but lets me know in more detail the situation.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Or you could just get a nice surge protector, which has a high probability of resolving the issue.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

One potential issue is this is coming from a room with a mic/phone panel that is patched. This room was a last minute idea. The other rooms the panels have a direct line to the interface/console. So it’s going to a wall panel which connects to another mic cable on the other side of the wall to a balanced, of course, snake which has DB25 connectors to another wall panel which goes directly from there to the computer interface. Metric Halo ULN-8.

So there’s a lot of patching going on.

Also I connected a Fractal AX8 XLR pair into that box REDCO 16ch XLR/Dsub Input Box | Redco Audio. One of the pair hums bigly. I can try separating the two instead of paired in the box but it seems like a passive transformerless snake problem. What do you think?
Old 1 week ago
Try to locate the source to the hum. I recently moved my studio and guitars hummed like crazy, could still null it out but the sweetspot was very narrow. Magnetic hum is usually caused by a machine, I initially thought it was the automower which if it was I was smoked. But I found out with allot of testing that it was the automowers charging station which I can atleast unplug on occasion.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

This is in the kitchen of a cottage. I turned off the refrigerator but it’s still plugged in.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Are they plugged into the same Outlet/Circuit?
If I could I would get mic pre or small mixer with phone out and with BOTH (Mic & pre/mixer) plugged into the same outlet see if get noise..
If you follow me..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
Are they plugged into the same Outlet/Circuit?
If I could I would get mic pre or small mixer with phone out and with BOTH (Mic & pre/mixer) plugged into the same outlet see if get noise..
If you follow me..
Ah. I think I see. But there are three rooms with one in between. The CR, the Tracking Room where the Dsub snake going to wall panel from CR abc the kitchen tracking. I don’t know how I can get them all in the same outlet.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah. I think I see. But there are three rooms with one in between. The CR, the Tracking Room where the Dsub snake going to wall panel from CR abc the kitchen tracking. I don’t know how I can get them all in the same outlet.
Try the test I mentioned, that could tell if its a AC Phase problem.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Or you could just get a nice surge protector, which has a high probability of resolving the issue.
Incorrect.

I wish it were the case, but a fancy surge protector is most likely not going to solve his or any noise issue.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Incorrect.

I wish it were the case, but a fancy surge protector is most likely not going to solve his or any noise issue.
All I'm saying is in my experience it helps. Take it or leave it.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
All I'm saying is in my experience it helps. Take it or leave it.
It can't hurt!
Also a good quality conditioner will certainly protect your gear (in the case of an over-voltage)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search