The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Perceived Loudness - Gear that makes it SEEM louder
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Perceived Loudness - Gear that makes it SEEM louder

What gear can make a mix element seem louder, without an actual change in volume? Of course, compression can increase lower amplitudes, but is there anything else happening here? (2:08 mark for example)

FWIW, I'm interested in transformers and their affect on perceived volume.

Old 12th July 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
FWIW, I'm interested in transformers and their affect on perceived volume.
Then you might be interested in this. The transformer's only part of the story, but it's a significant part.

Since it's "perceived volume" you're interested in, please note this bit right after the 3 Wurly clips:

"... normalized with their peaks at -8 dB, so they all have the same peak level, even if it doesn't sound like it."
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Then you might be interested in this. The transformer's only part of the story, but it's a significant part.

Interesting.

Those clips are peak level matched (normalized), so I'm wondering if you notice a change in levels below the peaks? (I hope the question makes sense)
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Interesting.

Those clips are peak level matched (normalized), so I'm wondering if you notice a change in levels below the peaks? (I hope the question makes sense)
No idea what you mean, sorry.
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
No idea what you mean, sorry.
The peak levels match, but there are waveforms below the peaks. Are there major differences in the waveforms below the peaks? Are their amplitudes different?
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
The peak levels match, but there are waveforms below the peaks. Are there major differences in the waveforms below the peaks? Are their amplitudes different?
Tell you what -- if I can remember what the password is, I'll tick the "downloadable" box and you can put it in your DAW and see for yourself.
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Tell you what -- if I can remember what the password is, I'll tick the "downloadable" box and you can put it in your DAW and see for yourself.
Cool. I'm just wondering if there's an actual volume change under the peaks- like the transformers raised the overall level (RMS?).
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Cool. I'm just wondering if there's an actual volume change under the peaks- like the transformers raised the overall level (RMS?).
I don't know and I'm very not-technical, at least in that way.

I'm the guy who knows that the same Thermos bottle will keep hot stuff hot and cold stuff cold, but has no idea how it can tell the difference.

But now you can download the Soundcloud file and peer into it for yourself.
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear
I've heard this done with mixes and seems the harmonics are perceived loudness and don't really pin the meters. I wonder whether loud mastering uses tricks like this on something like the Black Keys where distortion plays in your favor.... Fascinating!.....
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Cranborne's Camden 500 pre has a mojo feature which seems to do a similar thing with perceived volume:

Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

mid-range is very important., using a compressor/limiter to shave peaks, even arrangement and mixing
It really comes down to the Fletcher Munson curve and maximizing on its phenomena.

Some other things you can do is utilize spectrum analysis and tones to ascertain where adjustments can be made. After a while you can just rely on you ears. But you need a point of reference to help enhance instincts
Old 12th July 2018
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Let me rephrase:

Level match vocal tracks from these 2 gear chains:

1- A classic transformer fiesta: 1073, U87, 1176 (with no gain reduction)

Versus

2- A transformerless soirée: rme interface preamp, 4050, no comp

Will the chain with multiple transformers SEEM louder?

ps- I just rewatched the Pensado video and realized that I got duped by his 'the uncompressed levels are higher' statement. Sure, the peak might be higher, but the overall level is higher on the compressed (and compensated) track (yes, obviously!).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search