The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any issue with stereo outs from FX Pedal to two different DI boxes? Direct Injection Boxes
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Head
Any issue with stereo outs from FX Pedal to two different DI boxes?

Hey there,

I would like to send synths output to a preamp channel strip and the line outs to a re-amp box to bring the signal down to instrument level, then into some fx pedals. The fx pedals stereo outputs will go into two DI boxes then into my recording interface.

Before this I was sending synth -> preamp -> fx pedals -> audio interface. The problem was this introduced lots of hums and hiss that degraded the audio signal.

I was troubleshooting to see where the noise is coming from and it came down to the line level signal output from the preamp into the fx pedals. I was able to bring down the line level into instrument levels into the fx pedals then out to a JDI DI box which I have already. I don't know why but in theory the output from the fx pedals should be okay to go directly into my audio interface, but adding the JDI DI box before the audio interface eliminated the 60's cycle hum.

Since many pedals have stereo outputs I would like add another JDI DI box for the stereo outputs.

My question is

1. Am I making this too complicated trying to correct the noise issue? Is there a better way.

2. If I use 2 seperate DI boxes to receive signal from the stereo out of a fx pedal would I have problems with phasing issues that I should worry about? As these 2 units might be slightly different.

Many Thanks!
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

My Synth recording chain looks like:

Synth >> [ReAmp box if necessary] >> Pedal >> Pedal >> Ebtech Line Shifter >> Interface Preamp (Line Level)
OR
Synth >> [ReAmp box if necessary] >> Pedal >> Pedal >> Radial Pro-2 Stereo DI >> Interface Preamp (Mic Level)

That said, I've very few pedals nowadays that can't handle Synth I/O comfortably so usually I skip the accessory boxes - haven't needed to reamp for ages actually.

I'm not sure what you need the additional preamp stage for?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search