The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure SM58 Dynamic Microphones
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Shure SM58

Hey guys, I've seen that the Shure SM58 is kind of like the go to mic for vocal recording.

As I was initially planning to purchase one of these portable vocal booth screens, most of the pics shown that it's mainly equipped with a condenser mic instead.

My question is,

1. Does the Shure SM58 needs a vocal booth screen?

2. Do you think these vocal booth screens could hold the Shure SM58? Because most youtube covers they usually equip it with a mic stand and tilted at an angle. Unlike vocal booths it's mainly straight up?

3. Is a pop filter needed?

4. Is it just sufficient to record vocals with a vocal stand like how singers record acoustic covers on YT?

Note: I would love to treat my room instead of getting these portable vocal booths but my main studio is in my hometown while I'm currently not in my hometown and am working portable.

Thanks!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Groan
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Hi Eugene, welcome to Gearslutz!

I'm pretty sure you could get a range of opinions, regarding your post.

One idea might be to use a duvet, behind the singer, a classic Sound On Sound
Magazine suggestion.Then use a microphone stand (rather than hand held) to
avoid handling noise.

If you like the SM58 on your voice that's great, I have some good friends with
beautiful voices, where a 58 sounds excellent on them. In fact, I'd be tempted to get the GAP Pre-73 Jr. ($250), to combine
with a 58, before shelling out any $$$ for a reflexion filter.

On me, I need a higher fidelity mic pre than say a Mackie mixer (the GAP Pre-73 sounds like a cool "character" pre), to be happy with a SM58.

If it's in your budget, you may want to consider getting a Beyer M88TG.
On ebay for example, a brand new M88TG runs about $400. One in excellent used condition (or "open box" condition), around $300.

A M88 will duck (minimize) bad room tone, even better than a SM58.
If I was starting over from scratch, that'd be the first vocal microphone I'd buy.
(but not the last-hey it's Gearslutz here!)

I usually record in "domestic level" conditions, so can relate to your questions.

Most likely, you'll get some further useful advice from the other "regulars" (that include some strong professional engineers).

Hope this helps,
Chris
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeneL View Post
Hey guys, I've seen that the Shure SM58 is kind of like the go to mic for vocal recording.

As I was initially planning to purchase one of these portable vocal booth screens, most of the pics shown that it's mainly equipped with a condenser mic instead.

My question is,

1. Does the Shure SM58 needs a vocal booth screen?

2. Do you think these vocal booth screens could hold the Shure SM58? Because most youtube covers they usually equip it with a mic stand and tilted at an angle. Unlike vocal booths it's mainly straight up?

3. Is a pop filter needed?

4. Is it just sufficient to record vocals with a vocal stand like how singers record acoustic covers on YT?

Note: I would love to treat my room instead of getting these portable vocal booths but my main studio is in my hometown while I'm currently not in my hometown and am working portable.

Thanks!
Hi Eugene, you seem pretty new to this. Let's get a few things straight:
You need more than just a microphone to record. You'll need at least a way to connect the mic to your computer (an audio interface), recording software (called a DAW) and a way to listen to your recordings (headphones or monitors). Here's some basic info, read this before you buy anything at all.

Basics of Home Recording: A Guide to Building and Using | Reverb News

Home Recording Basics II: Choosing Your First Audio | Reverb News

Next, the Shure SM58 is an industry standard for live sound vocal applications, i.e. singing or speaking on a stage. It's not used a whole lot for recording, but
it could work fine. If you want a mic specifically for studio use, google 'budget vocal mics for recording' or something like that.

Specific answers to your questions:

1. No, the sm58 is fine without a vocal screen. In fact I think vocal screens are overrated. Put up some pillows, or hang a duvet on the wall behind you. This will do more than a vocal screen that screens off the back of the mic.

2. No idea, but as I said, you might not want the sm58 if your sole purpose is recording. And you might not need a vocal screen.

3. No. The SM58 has some foam padding inside the grill that's pretty effective as a pop screen. Condenser mics aimed at studio use usually don't have this and need a pop filter.

4. Yeah, just put the mic on a microphone stand and have fun. Part of why the sm58 is popular for live applications, is that is has relatively low handling noise, meaning you can even just hold it in you hand without too much problems. For best recording results however, put it on a stand.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search