The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The time has come today! It's the PSYCHEDELIC MUSIC THREAD!
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

The time has come today! It's the PSYCHEDELIC MUSIC THREAD!

Kind of a companion piece (in spirit) to the SOUL MUSIC thread I started recently...

So who else is "into" the 'ol Classic psychedelic music of Yore and/or the recent stuff (ala Tame Impala etc.)?

Anyone who's "been experienced" is welcome to join in the communal passing
of joint knowledge! Including usual geekery of what pre/mic/plug-in/"what sign are you"?/etc.

Thanks in advance for your responses...

Chris
Old 10th July 2018
I happened to be listening to Family's "Voyage" (1968) when I stumbled on this thread. I think it counts, though it wouldn't normally be the first thing I'd think of in this respect.

Lemme meditate on the question.

I'll be back in 7 years.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

I don't think it was intentional, but this always struck me as psychedelic, if not eclectic.

Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Trane on LSD on this one:
Old 11th July 2018
I always though this sequence of tracks from the 1967 Jefferson Airplane album, After Bathing at Baxter's had a nicely psychedelic vibe...

The first track is a 9 minute jam between the Airplane's core players, Jack Casady, Jorma Kaukonen, and Spencer Dryden [b,g,d]. No backwards anything or even FX at all, really, but I think it captures one aspect of the spirit of the time pretty admirably. Actually, probably captures the vibe of 'coming on' pretty well, especially in the early part. And, no doubt, the chosen theme for many such interludes.* The next two feature the full band, first a smoldering, snarling vocal by Grace Slick, and then one of their signature hippie anthems with urgent, intertwined vocals.

* Psychedelic drugs should not be taken casually or by those with unresolved emotional or mental issues. The results can be unpredictable, and in some circumstances, profoundly distressing. If one chooses to so experiment, it should only be undertaken in a safe environment in the presence of sober, experienced person and dosages should be controlled and small, particularly if one is inexperienced. Do not take this passage as an endorsement. It is a warning. Dangerous drugs are not for everyone. Seriously.
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

I would love to know more about Tame Impala, Myrrors, and Unknown Mortal Orchestra's recording gear. These guys are all in my general genre and I love the way their records sound.
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

Did this a few years back.

Very weird genre to mix.

Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
Did this a few years back.

Very weird genre to mix.

Nice...one I did 20 years ago:

Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks guys for all the cool clips, quips, and... "trips"!

Chris
Old 11th July 2018
Some of the most amusing post-fin de siècle psychedelic was from the XTC crew, of all folks, under the name, the Dukes of the Stratosphere, from the mid 80s...

Old 11th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Anything from this band

Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

Wow! That's the thread i've been waiting for for years! )

I've been raised on different psychedelic/"kraut" music, i just adore everything experimental and unusual thanks to this.
Love Canterbury scene, it is so great when 2 songs on one album sounds like different artists sometimes!
RIO is awesome too, even being too "prog" sometimes.

Temples, Papir are on my everyday playlist for a couple of years.
Mild High Club is a recent fav.

What i "hate" about modern psychedelic is being so damn overcompressed! I mean, look at Barrett's PATGOD, Can, everything from that era —*a lot of air in compositions, a lot of excitement when dynamics goes high and low. Pity it is rare to hear now.

BTW: why do you guys use youtube? Isn't everything is on apple music/spotify nowadays?
Old 11th July 2018
I've collected just about everything from the original psychedelic era.
From the US 50 Foot Hose, The United States of America, Electric Prunes, West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, Gandalf, Pearls Before Swine, Mandrake Memorial.
From the UK, of course PF and Soft Machine (1 and 2) Family, Skip Bifferty, Incredible String Band, Pussy Plays.
From Europe '70s bands like Amon Duul, Guru Guru and Gong, Nectar, Group 1850.

The '80s had quite a bit of Psych pop like The Church, The Chills, Teardrop Explodes etc. Bongwater went between surreal poetry and psych pop.

Here's some Steve Hillage for ya!
Hurdy Gurdy Glissando
Old 11th July 2018
I got to see the great bands live back in the 1960's. At Devonshire Downs in 1968 I saw the Jefferson Airplane with a bunch of other bands, the first Devonshire Downs pop festival. The Airplane drove down from SF in their hippy van. Before the show I wandered back and sat in the bus next to Paul Kanter. They were passing joints around the band so I sat in.

Then there was that Hendrix concert at the Hollywood Bowl in '68. 100 hippies swimming in the reflecting pool was surreal. I miss those days, Sunset Blvd and all the great bands living in Laural Canyon (CSN, Canned Heat, Frank Zappa and all the rest).
Old 11th July 2018
I saw the Dead and the Airplane in 1967... first concert I ever drove myself to. The Dead were deep in their Owsley-sound-driven feedback symphony mode at that show, a huge, seemingly haphazard wall of different sized speakers and amps stacked HIGH above the stage behind the band. Saw the dead four times and while they played noodly hippie music in the three later shows, this was a full on, edge-of-control sea of feedback. I was never sure how much of the sonic chaos was intended. It was SO different than their first album, filled with what I described at the time (in a review in my HS paper) as 'biker R&B.' I enjoyed the hell out of it, no matter.

A more focused and psychedelic in a different way show I saw the next summer was less pre-echos of Sonic Youth and more hippie psychedelic -- a daytime show in early fall '68 (I think) on a sloping grassy hill at Long Beach State. It was a beautiful day. The Airplane headlined, with the Canadian art/psychedelic outfit, The Collectors, seconding, I think. One of the highlights was a young, jazzy horn band with a hot guitarist -- they were called Chicago Transit Authority. The emphasis was on the rock-jazz instrumental blend, though there was, of course singing. But it was a very hot musical act. (Later, of course, they'd go way poppy, dropping the 'arty' name -- and most of the progressive orientation, even going so far as to hire a 'personality' vocalist. Chicago. They were cool once. Honest.) I seem to recall that a fine local psychedelic blues band, The Stack, opened the show not long after noon. The Airplane finished off the day -- and they were great... they really seeme do come into their own in those daytime free concerts.* I could 'hear' the echoes of 'Saturday Afternoon/Won't You Try' echoing in my ears on the way home.

* I also saw them at a free show in Griffith park a day or two after seeing them at the Forum ('69 or '70). There I was able to get right up next to the makeshift stage. It was very cool. And Grace Slick in 1968 -- oh, my gosh. What a beautiful woman!
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

With my name I guess I'm obliged to post this one:

The MASSIVE sound of the bass when the full band kicks in sends shiver down my spine every time I hear it. A psychedelic masterpiece!

EDIT: Why won't my link show up like everyone elses??? I must be doing something wrong... Never mind, I figured it out.
Old 11th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.F.Sorrow View Post
The Pretty Things "Defecting Grey" - YouTube

With my name I guess I'm obliged to post this:

The MASSIVE sound of the bass when the full band kicks in sends shiver down my spine every time I hear it. A psychedelic masterpiece!
I went to insert this ^^ into my streamer queue (which is currently in mega-shuffle [~48K song library]) and, synchronistically enough, it's going to follow the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band's "1906."

Trust me, while psychedelic music is certainly well represented in my library, it's FAR from the only genre there... this was just one of those little Jungian things, for real.

I already had some Pretty Things in there (as in my vinyl collection) but I just added the S.F. Sorrow album. Seems like it should be there.
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I went to insert this ^^ into my streamer queue (which is currently in mega-shuffle [~48K song library]) and, synchronistically enough, it's going to follow the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band's "1906."

Trust me, while psychedelic music is certainly well represented in my library, it's FAR from the only genre there... this was just one of those little Jungian things, for real.

I already had some Pretty Things in there (as in my vinyl collection) but I just added the S.F. Sorrow album.
The S.F.Sorrow album is a masterpiece! But Defecting Grey wasn't actually on the original album. It was added as a bonus track later. And some of those bonus tracks are actually my favourites, Talking about the good times, Walking through my dreams. Absolutely brilliant! The Pretty Things went a bit downhill after S.F.Sorrow but some of the earlier stuff is great. Not psychedelic though. The earlier stuff is classic British mid-60s R&B. Like a dirtier version of The Rolling Stones.
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

I love it, though my preference is for pop with a psychedelic twist.

A recent band not mentioned I've really enjoyed is the Olivia Tremor Control, who made a couple of great albums that were watered down by a little too much experimentation.

Sadly they released few albums and the singer died several years back.

I can't resist posting a few of my band's songs, as we delve into it, though we also channel 70s prog and pop at times. The albums are all concept albums, so the lyrics will be nonsensical.

Mars Lives on Io
Tesla is the Man
Feedback Loop
Europa

All of our songs are free on our site in my sig, so I'll refrain from posting more.
Old 12th July 2018
Robin Hitchcock and his mates have often flirted with various forms of psychedelia, but I think some of my favorite of their stuff is from the Soft Boys incarnation of the late 70s. It was hard for me to not put "Do the Chisel" on all my party tapes...

There's also this, perhaps a bit lyrically on the nose, but I find it charming none the less...

Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

No mention of the 13th Floor Elevators? Surely the best psychedelic band there ever has been, even if their albums sound like they were recorded with a Radio Shack mic in the next room.
Old 12th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peller View Post
No mention of the 13th Floor Elevators? Surely the best psychedelic band there ever has been, even if their albums sound like they were recorded with a Radio Shack mic in the next room.
Rocky Ericson is always a trip. I prefer labelmates the Golden Dawn. Power Plant is a great record.
Old 12th July 2018
The Legendary Pink Dots are still out there making great paych. The most recent album I have is Plutonium Blonde from 2008.
Old 12th July 2018
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

I had too much to dream last night!
Gonna listen to all the posts tonight...

Chris
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Guru

I have the great displeasure and also honor of announcing Syd Barrett Into this thread.

in my opinion, the psychedelic master supreme

Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

take a look of it up
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

I'll "see" your Syd Barrett and "raise" you with "The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown". Anyone who lights his head on fire (safely please!) for the sake of his stage act deserves some respect too!

A close friend of mine (first name Javad), who went to two different British colleges, booked Pink Floyd while Syd was still in the band, around the time of that album.
My friend Javad, was also a University classmate friend of Brian May, before Brian dropped out.

I've got to go back and listen to that one (Piper) again soon...
Old 13th July 2018
I’ll subscribe. I’m not particularly a fan of a lot of the typical stuff that is given the label, but in spirit I’m with it. Jimi was a first love and influence. I saw and heard the Pink Floyd video from Pompeii on acid, that was definitely formative. Sonic Youth and bands sharing that ethos are more so what I’m into.

I don’t have any knowledge of production specifics, but thought I’d hang out.
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Guru

Other bands that have "taken me on a trip" recently:

Queens of the Stone Age (Rated R), Them Crooked Vultures (self titled)

The Orb "No Sounds Art Out Of Bounds"

Just to point at that the game is still alive, and worth shooting at
📝 Reply