The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ok slutz, what's the worst smelling piece of gear you ever bought?!
Old 9th July 2018
Here for the gear
Ok slutz, what's the worst smelling piece of gear you ever bought?!

I just thought this would be a fun discussion.

Here's mine: I recently bought a Heil PR40 off some kid. The poor innocent PR40 has been touted as a great mic for podcasting for some time now. Apparently when this kid was "podcasting" he was also vaping some sort of cherry vanilla syrup. And just bolwing it all over the microphone. I smelled it when we met to do the deal and told him I'd need to clean it so I'd give him less. He agreed and the mic was a great deal ($130) so I took it home and put it in a plastic bag until I could clean it.

But there is no cleaning this mic. I've cleaned every surface I could 3 times and my whole mic closet smells like cherry vanilla. It's so much worse than regular tobacco smoke. My partner says it's the studio's new signature scent. I am in a weird version of hell.

Old 9th July 2018
Gear Nut

That would drive me nuts! I bought a piece of equipment that cam in a Pelican case and the off-gassing of the foam inside stunk like hell! Need to scrub it out and replace the foam..
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Guru

There's a guy on here who just had a cat pee on a pile of mics. Over and over. He wins, we're all competing for second place.

On eBay I bought...

1. An Eventide Harmonizer that reeked of a combo of cigarettes and whatever the smell is when you've got a hundred dead cockroaches in something. and...

2. A Korg Kaoss Pad that smelled like all the things something smells like when it's been in a burning building and then doused with a firehose and then stashed God knows where for a good long while.

Hard to say which was worse.
Old 9th July 2018
Here for the gear
Oh I got a cat pee package once off eBay. But luckily it was all the bubble wrap that had been peed on, not the gear....TL Audio something if I remember.
I was super "pissed"....like how do you ship that?! The dude was like...I'm a smoker, I can't smell anything. Literally yellow drops of fresh cat piss all over.

Old 9th July 2018
Gear Maniac

I bought a big dollar Collings CJ acoustic used a few years back - came in a beautiful Calton Case - the worst case of cigarette smell I ever had the displeasure to breathe. The guitar aired out after a few weeks - the case took me over a year to get the stink out of. I tried Febreeze, dryer sheets, coffee grounds and Baking powder.

I ended up just letting it sit out on the deck for a few hot sunny dry days to get it right - waaaay too much trouble...
Old 9th July 2018
Here for the gear
I've made sellers give me retro-active discounts/cleaning fees for smoke damage before.
Not disclosing something like that is so crazy. Did they tell you it would be smoky?

I find it's so much less nowadays. The venue I worked in for years doing live sound went from smoking to non-smoking while I was there. But the staff still smoked inside the second the doors closed. So live stuff I expect occasional smokiness. But studio gear - do people still smoke in studios with racks of gear?!?
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Addict

Got a great deal on a first generation SM7, when I took the foam off it smelled like a ton of premium quality weed had been homegrown inside, I suspect someone used to stash between the mic and the foam for rehearsals (I can tell because I used to work border patrol on the road)(also done weed in high school).

My old soundcraft smelled of beer on top and railway workshop inside when I got it.

The best smell came out my violin after being refurbished by a luthier.
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Acoustic guitar case. Don't know what sort of glue they used but it stank like vomit.
Old 9th July 2018
When I was 18, I remember buying a SM58 used.

I've never bought any other SM58 used.
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcs3 View Post
Acoustic guitar case. Don't know what sort of glue they used but it stank like vomit.
When I was a kid, my dad bought a used acoustic guitar case -- same experience. We never considered that the smell might have been due to the glue. He didn't notice the odor when the case was open at the store, but only after he opened it once it had been closed for a week or two.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

I once owned a very funky-smelling old EV RE-50. I also once bought an RNC from the GS classifieds and it was sent with the wrong wall-wart A/C instead of D/C or the other way around). Having no reason to suspect such, when I went to plug it in I could immediately smell that it just got fried. Thankfully I got a refund and I learned my lesson.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

A Squire 5 string bass bought from MusicGoRound. Case reeked of ses. Which isn't so bad smelling but it was a church band bass. So I fabreezed the heck out of it so when my wife opened her bass case it would smell less objectionable to the surrounding individuals.
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Head

I have a guitar tube amp that smells pretty funky whenever it gets hot enough but that's part of the vintage gear charm.
Old 9th July 2018
I bought an sm7B that a screamo band had been using. The halitosis smell was impregnated into the wind screen. I had to replace it to get the stink out.
Old 9th July 2018
Fender Bassman Ten my friend found when cleaning out grandmother's house.
It was free .....but smelled horrible and after multiple attempts to clean, in the end needed to gut it for a new cabinet.
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Guru

Ampex 499 smells pretty bad.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

I got a weird silver sparkle finished strat body that smelled so strongly of finger nail polish that I had to re-finish it. I was half afraid whatever noxious finish they used was going to poison me through my skin (and the smell did make me feel kind of ill).

Runner up: once checked some old russian fuzz with a geiger counter to see if it was radioactive. Fun fact, a lot of the metal from chernobyl disappeared as scrap metal...

For the record it was not radioactive.
Old 9th July 2018
Cheap Chinese speaker stands still smelled of the factory.
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Guru

A Casio CZ5000 that stank to high heaven of tramp/piss. Was a gumtree thing and when I got there to collect and he opened the door I almost recoiled from the smell coming out.

He was wearing old, messed up, filthy and well pissed in clothing and the whole place reeked like a human cat box. Took the synth and ran and first thing at home stuck it inside bin liners with a fairly large amount of baking soda for a couple of days. Amazingly it was fine after that. He was really friendly, which was awkward as I just needed to leave...lol
Old 9th July 2018
In my experience, usually people that smell very bad are VERY nice person.
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Guru

I have a guitar case that smells like the 70s.
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I have a guitar case that smells like the 70s.
Weed and Paco Raban?
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

I bought some gear, smelled like skunk.
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Guru

I just received a stinky bass amp head in the mail. You could smell the guy's living environment. He used old T-shirts as packing material.

It wasn't a good packing job, but, bless his heart, I gave him a positive feedback anyway. He was a nice guy.
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Head
About twelve years ago I snagged a free Hammond Organ from an ad in the penny-saver. Went to pick it up, and found that it was being given away as a punitive measure by an chain-smoking old woman to teach her deadbeat grandson a lesson. I made sure not to linger, in case he got back as I was loading up my truck.

I left it at my old studio, but as far as I know, it still smells like that old woman's garage: musty and dusty, with a hint of machine oil and cigarettes.

Bonus: my Yamaha Live Customs are the bestselling instrument I've ever come across. I don't know what they did, or what the smell is, but a wonderful scent wafts out of the drums when you strike them, even after a couple years in an untreated basement.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

I picked up a used Fender Mustang that smelled like teen spirit.
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
I picked up a used Fender Mustang that smelled like teen spirit.
LOL!
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

Otari MX5050B2-II with enough cigarette smoke residue to make you gag. Took about a week of evenings to painstakingly clean it.
Old 12th July 2018
Just picked up an Alesis Micron that stunk up the house with stale cigarette smoke. Thankfully after opening it up and cleaning it the smell dissipated after a week.
I have a Kaossolator Pro that stank for a few months after purchase.
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

I once purchased a very used student grade French Horn from a school.
It had never been cleaned.
Nothing could remove the stench of 20+ years of dried spit and fermented phlegm
Just mentioning it, I can smell it like it was yesterday.
Perhaps the stupidest purchase I've ever made
I did humanity a solid and tipped it for scrap.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search