The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How do you integrate a monitor controller with a console?
Old 29th June 2018
Lives for gear

How do you integrate a monitor controller with a console?

Hi-

Trying to determine what is the best way to integrate a Monitor Controller, such as the Avocet, with a console, such as my API The BOX console, or other.

Id like to monitor straight through the Avocet's DA, and also save me from Always having to power the Mixer on, when i just need to do some editing or work ITB.

Question is, what's the best way to wire the Mixer to the Monitor Controller.

Obviously, once i go from the Mixer's Main Out to the AD of my converters i can monitor it with a Track in Record ready, Or input in my Converter's control Panel, but I am wondering if there is a better way to get the feed without going through the AD stage.

What do people do? Sending the Mixer's Control Room feed into an Input in the Avocat? That seems like a double run for the single.
Splitting the Main Out ion the console? If so, what is the cleanest way to do that?

Thanks!
Old 29th June 2018
For what you want to do, IMHO you would be better off with a monitor controller that can sum more than one input, including a DA. So your console could input into the analog section, and your DAW into the DA. Something like the Dangerous Source, though that is somewhat limited in other respects (no talkback, etc), but there must be others.

Of course, if you have sound card that offers "latency free"monitoring, then you could just bring the analogs in on a pair of unused channels, and always send that out to the Avocet.
Old 29th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweisbin View Post
For what you want to do, IMHO you would be better off with a monitor controller that can sum more than one input, including a DA. So your console could input into the analog section, and your DAW into the DA. Something like the Dangerous Source, though that is somewhat limited in other respects (no talkback, etc), but there must be others.
Oh sure. The question was WAHT do i feed into the Analog input in the Mon Controller. Feeding the output of the Monitor section of the Console seems like a waste, Since i want to Bypass that, or or would monitor through the Console itself in the first place...
Old 29th June 2018
Now I'm confused. How were you hearing the output of your console before? Straight to your speakers? Or into the DAW/sound card, then out via the sound card to the speakers?
Old 29th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweisbin View Post
Now I'm confused. How were you hearing the output of your console before? Straight to your speakers? Or into the DAW/sound card, then out via the sound card to the speakers?
As of now im using the Monitor section of my API mixer to monitor. But id like to use the Avocet instead. im just trying to think what is the best way to ingrate the API mixer to the Avocet. In other words, what signal to send from the API into the Avocet? The Monitor out of the Mixer into an analog input on the Avocet(In which case i still listen to the Monitor section off the API) or the Main Mix out of the Mixer split into the AD and the Analog in on the Avocet in parallel.
Old 29th June 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea View Post
what signal to send from the API into the Avocet? The Monitor out of the Mixer into an analog input on the Avocet(In which case i still listen to the Monitor section off the API) or the Main Mix out of the Mixer split into the AD and the Analog in on the Avocet in parallel.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the monitor out of the mixer is meant for speakers (i.e. an amplifier) and not meant to drive line level destinations - it's attenuated by the master volume knob. Do you mean to send that out to the Avocet with volume knob maxed out?

I would think you would need to send either the master (pgm) output and have it passed through elsewhere (does the Avocet not mirror the ins?) or you could send the output of the cue bus (or one of the other auxes) but then of course you are not truly sending the pgm summing output.

Edit:
Oh, and, I think the standard way of doing this is have the master outputs show up on the top row of a half-normalled patchbay and get a mult of it going to your avocet in that way. I could be very wrong though, and of course that assumes you have a patchbay with both The Box and the Avocet hooked up to it (expensive).
Old 29th June 2018
Gear Nut

Yep, looking at the back of the console, you either have the pgm bus output (line level) or the c/r outputs (for monitors).

I would say you have to take the pgm bus output and split it.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you integrate a monitor controller with a console?-10244-3_full.jpg  
Old 3rd July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithUsInHatred View Post
Yep, looking at the back of the console, you either have the pgm bus output (line level) or the c/r outputs (for monitors).

I would say you have to take the pgm bus output and split it.

Thanks! Thought so. As of now i, in purpose, don't use a patchy, but rather have all of my outboard hard wired the way i like working.

Would you know of a split box that absolutely don't touch the fidelity of the signal..?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search