The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Golden Age Premier PRE-73 PREMIER (GAP) vs. AMS NEVE 1073 DPA Single-Channel Preamps
Old 23rd June 2018
Golden Age Premier PRE-73 PREMIER (GAP) vs. AMS NEVE 1073 DPA

I got the brand new Golden Age Premier PRE-73 in my studio and this new friend is blowing my mind! So I decided to share the audio files with you

In the last few months, several new 1073 clones entered the market:
Warm Audio's WA-73 Series, BAE's 1073 and the Heritage Audio HA-73.
Here in Germany, Warm Audio is the cheapest of the bunch at 649.- € street price. Now, Golden Age Premier (the new premium line of Golden Age Project / GAP) just released two versions of 1073s starting at 489.- street price!
I wonder where this journey will go... Will we all get 1073's for free in a couple of years?

I ran a few tests comparing it to an original AMS NEVE 1073 DPA. The results are really astonishing.

I split the mic signal with a Radial microphone splitter Pro MS2 to route it to the Golden Age Premier and to the NEVE at the same time. Surprisingly both signals sound exactly the same. If I flip the phase on either the NEVE or the Golden Age Premier the signal erases itself almost completely due to phase cancellation.
This phenomenon only appears when you have two absolute identical signals / preamps. You can try this yourself with the .wav files.

For me it is unbelievable that they sound that close and I didn't trust my ears at first. Also, thanks to the Air Band EQ, the HPF, the Output Pad and Trim it's extremely versatile. I also like that it has 4 LED's to display the output.

About the samples:

I chose to record an acoustic guitar with a Beyerdynamic 201. It's a dynamic microphone that is known to need a lot of gain on quiet sources, almost like a ribbon mic. 20cm from the 15th fret. As the splitter lowers the signal about 10db, I used 65 db of gain.

For the vocals I used a AKG 414 in cardioid mode.

I include the phase inverted signal to the audio samples as well. You hardly hear any signal anymore (every volume setting is the same in my DAW - I just flipped the phase)
Attached Thumbnails
Golden Age Premier PRE-73 PREMIER (GAP) vs. AMS NEVE 1073 DPA-golden-age-premier-73-inside-front-manual.jpg   Golden Age Premier PRE-73 PREMIER (GAP) vs. AMS NEVE 1073 DPA-gap-premier-pre-73_neve1073dpa.jpg   Golden Age Premier PRE-73 PREMIER (GAP) vs. AMS NEVE 1073 DPA-golden-age-premier-73-inside-carnhill.jpg  
Attached Files

GAPrem73-AGit-Strum-Beyer201-M.mp3 (736.7 KB, 6716 views)

Neve1073DPA-AGit-Strum-Beyer201-M.mp3 (736.7 KB, 6559 views)

GAP+Neve-PhaseInvert-AGit-Strum-Beyer201-M.mp3 (736.7 KB, 6246 views)

GAPrem73-SING-414XLS-M.mp3 (544.8 KB, 6437 views)

Neve1073DPA-SING-414XLS-M.mp3 (544.8 KB, 6353 views)

GAP+Neve-PhaseInvert-SING-414XLS-M.mp3 (544.8 KB, 6002 views)

GAPrem73-TALK-414XLS-M.mp3 (358.1 KB, 6208 views)

Neve1073DPA-TALK-414XLS-M.mp3 (358.1 KB, 6106 views)

GAP+Neve-PhaseInvert-TALK-414XLS-M.mp3 (358.1 KB, 5902 views)

Old 23rd June 2018
Here for the gear

Interesting! Nice work. I've got 3 of the GAP73 mk2 pres in my studio and love them.
If I was a rich man, I'd maybe have the real Neves, but I'm not so I'm very happy with the GAP stuff.
Old 23rd June 2018
thanks will check these out later...
Old 26th June 2018
Just for you guys to get an idea how the phase-cancellation audio samples compare to other preamps, I did a test with:

AMS Neve 1073 DPA Channel 1 vs AMS Neve 1073 DPA Channel 2
AMS Neve 1073 DPA Channel 1 vs Golden Age Premier Pre-73
AMS Neve 1073 DPA Channel 1 vs RME UFX

I split the microphone signal to feed two preamps and switched the phase on one channel.
What you hear as a result is the difference between the preamps.
In the best case, you would hear nothing at all, but as we are talking about analog gear, even the two Neve Preamps in the same rack don't cancel each other out completely.

You will need to listen on higher volume, as the signal is of course very low.
Attached Files
Old 26th June 2018
Gear Maniac

This looks real promissing!
Old 26th June 2018
Lives for gear

Nice post and I like your methodology and photos! Thank you!
Old 28th August 2018
Here for the gear
I liked the Neve by Nat's whisker - The difference in small.
I'm buying a couple of GAP Premier 73s, but also have their DLX, which I'm more interested in comparing with.
Ive also owned the GAP Junior and some of the pres with the EQ, however always stuck with the DLX's.. they sound truly great !
GAP is very nice gear if your poor or budget conscious like me. Its very good value here in the UK. I also like Warms Tone B.

Last edited by Jimboy; 29th August 2018 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: A bit drunk when first posted
Old 15th September 2018
Are there any additional comments or reviews on the new GAP 73 Premier? It looks like a nice circuit with the Carnhills and I need a 73 style mic preamp for male vocals. Brand names mean nothing if the differences are minute and only heard with the best headphones/speakers. Thanks so much for the sound samples!
Old 1st October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Are there any additional comments or reviews on the new GAP 73 Premier? It looks like a nice circuit with the Carnhills and I need a 73 style mic preamp for male vocals. Brand names mean nothing if the differences are minute and only heard with the best headphones/speakers. Thanks so much for the sound samples!
I just posted my review in the review section:
Golden Age Premier PRE-73 Premier PRE-73 Premier
Old 2nd October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughgear View Post
I just posted my review in the review section:
Golden Age Premier PRE-73 Premier PRE-73 Premier
Thanks for doing this! It looks like an excellent deal with those 2 Carnhill transformers and the overall good sound compared to other "1073" based preamps.
Old 8th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Thanks for doing this! It looks like an excellent deal with those 2 Carnhill transformers and the overall good sound compared to other "1073" based preamps.
I think it's the best 1073 deal out there. The sound is spot on and the extra features can be really handy!
Old 1st November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
I think it's the best 1073 deal out there. The sound is spot on and the extra features can be really handy!
roughgear,

Could you please take a look at your power cord/adapter? I am wondering whether it can work with 220V or not. I am going to purchase Pre-73 Premier in US but will be using it in another country. thx!
Old 1st November 2018
Gear Addict

Very nice! Golden age should use this to make a dual pre rackmounted version
but with a more sensible top HPF at say 120-140 Hz instead of 200 Hz.
Old 1st November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmz1987 View Post
roughgear,

Could you please take a look at your power cord/adapter? I am wondering whether it can work with 220V or not. I am going to purchase Pre-73 Premier in US but will be using it in another country. thx!
Hi,

I'm located it Berlin and I got the Europe version of the power supply.
It reads: 230 V and 20 VA / 24 Volt

I hope it helps

Best,

Raphael
Old 1st November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
I liked the Neve by Nat's whisker - The difference in small.
I'm buying a couple of GAP Premier 73s, but also have their DLX, which I'm more interested in comparing with.
Ive also owned the GAP Junior and some of the pres with the EQ, however always stuck with the DLX's.. they sound truly great !
GAP is very nice gear if your poor or budget conscious like me. Its very good value here in the UK. I also like Warms Tone B.
agreed, the top end of the neve isn't quite there in the gap. I found this clear enough listening on my adam p11a's to be pretty convinced it was not just "expensive is better" bias. Noticed it especially on the guitar and the spoken word recordings.

I guess this is when the OP tells us he has named the files randomly
Old 2nd November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi,

I'm located it Berlin and I got the Europe version of the power supply.
It reads: 230 V and 20 VA / 24 Volt

I hope it helps

Best,

Raphael
Thank you so much, it helps me a lot.

Best,

firmz1987
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search