The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitors & Headphones into Single Interface Audio Interfaces
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Monitors & Headphones into Single Interface

Hey guys,
I've decided I'm going to buy HD800 cans and a Phonitor Mini for mixing purposes.

I currently own a Babyface Pro and I wanted to use XLR to connect to the headphone amp, but they are currently being used by my HS7's...

Few questions...

1. I've read XLR is the best way for the cleanest signal, so would it affect sound quality if I use the TRS headphone out on the Babyface Pro to the Phonitor Mini instead?

2. If XLR produces a cleaner signal, is there a way to split it to my monitors and the Phonitor Mini?

3. Is a Phonitor Mini even necessary, or is the Babyface Pro's headphone amp enough to power the HD800's?

Thanks!
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperfacex View Post
Hey guys,
I've decided I'm going to buy HD800 cans and a Phonitor Mini for mixing purposes.

I currently own a Babyface Pro and I wanted to use XLR to connect to the headphone amp, but they are currently being used by my HS7's...

Few questions...

1. I've read XLR is the best way for the cleanest signal, so would it affect sound quality if I use the TRS headphone out on the Babyface Pro to the Phonitor Mini instead?

2. If XLR produces a cleaner signal, is there a way to split it to my monitors and the Phonitor Mini?

3. Is a Phonitor Mini even necessary, or is the Babyface Pro's headphone amp enough to power the HD800's?

Thanks!
1 - yes - this would mean running 2 headphone amps, one into the other. XLR isn’t inherently “cleaner” than anything else (it’s just a connector), but it will be cleaner than unbalanced, amplified signal.

2 - either buy or build a passive switcher, or buy a different headphone amp that has a passthrough/speaker mute.

3 - why not get the HD800s first and try? I run HD600s with an Apollo twin and it’s fine.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
1 - yes - this would mean running 2 headphone amps, one into the other. XLR isn’t inherently “cleaner” than anything else (it’s just a connector), but it will be cleaner than unbalanced, amplified signal.

2 - either buy or build a passive switcher, or buy a different headphone amp that has a passthrough/speaker mute.

3 - why not get the HD800s first and try? I run HD600s with an Apollo twin and it’s fine.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Ideally, the headphone out on the Babyface Pro to the headphone amp is what sounds the most appealing, but I also read somewhere it's not ideal as it's going through the interface headphone amp, and into another amp which could cause quality issues etc. < Is that REALLY that big of a deal?

Tbh, there's just so much information everywhere that it's driving me a bit nuts lol. I want it to be of highest quality possible! *sigh*
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply!

Ideally, the headphone out on the Babyface Pro to the headphone amp is what sounds the most appealing, but I also read somewhere it's not ideal as it's going through the interface headphone amp, and into another amp which could cause quality issues etc. < Is that REALLY that big of a deal?
Well - it does defeat the purpose of a dedicated headphone amp.

Quote:
Tbh, there's just so much information everywhere that it's driving me a bit nuts lol. I want it to be of highest quality possible! *sigh*
Ignoring the perfectly usable, designed for this, headphone amps on interfaces seems to be one of the current GS flavours of the month really!

The Babyface is a quality piece of kit. Why would you not just try it as is, then look to improve it if there's a problem?

No point in overcomplicating things!
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Well - it does defeat the purpose of a dedicated headphone amp.
Thought so

Quote:
The Babyface is a quality piece of kit. Why would you not just try it as is, then look to improve it if there's a problem?

No point in overcomplicating things!
Sounds good to me lol

Are there any other headphone amps within that price range you'd recommend?
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Thought so

Sounds good to me lol

Not really - I've never come to purchase one! I'd actually like a good headphone amp for my control room, but I'm trying to work out how to incorporate it comfortably!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I currently own a Babyface Pro and I wanted to use XLR to connect to the headphone amp, but they are currently being used by my HS7's.
A headphone amp like the LittleLabs Monotor will do exactly what you want as it has 'pass through' jacks on the rear to feed your monitors.
Quote:
Would it affect sound quality if I use the TRS headphone out on the Babyface Pro?
Yes. Please don't do this.
Quote:
See above.

Also, try a search as there are tons of good threads about headphones and headphone amps - trust me, I've been reading through all of them myself lately!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

For only a bit more than the price of the Babyface and the Phonitor, if you have mic preamps already, you can get the ADI-2 Pro by RME.
The headphone amp is stupidly powerful (so much that they needed to add a special mode not to blow up small headphones) and will have the cleanest sound, including the best A/D D/A conversion you'll ever need.

And if you don't like the sound of the HD800 (which lacks a bit of bass and can be a bit peaky in the upper mids) it has a very powerful EQ on the outputs, actually a separate one for the headphone output and the speakers.

It also has a crossfeed option similar to the Phonitor, if I remember correctly. And it's tiny.

P.S. Balanced TRS 1/4" Jacks are electrically the same thing as XLR connections. They're just flimsier, non-locking, and they short out so you should never use them with phantom power. For line signals it's exactly the same sound as XLR.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search