The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What gear is the most logical for me to upgrade, and upgrade to what? Electric Guitar
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Nut

What gear is the most logical for me to upgrade, and upgrade to what?

Hello.

I'm continuing GAS:ing and feel there's something that there's something I should considering upgrading in my setup (I just sold off all the stuff that I had no real need for a couple of months ago).

Let's play with the thought that I've got about €4000, but that's money that I probably will not spend on a single purchase of gear but more like..
Let me put it this way..
I've lately been GASing for a Roland Space Echo, if I make that purchase I'm guessing I could spend everything from €1000 to €1500.
I'll probably not be able to resist buying the Behringer RD-808.. So that's probably at least €500.

So in a best case scenario I'll be left with €2500, more likely €2000.

I wonder how that money would be best spent.
I'm more of a songwriter and artist than a mixing engineer (though it's fun to play around and would be great to be any good, but that's not been the situation..), Though I feel that I'm very satisfied with my synthesizers at the moment and same goes for my guitars so my next purchase is most likely not a Synthesizer or guitar.

Should I upgrade something? Get something completely different? Should I ditch the idea of a Roland Space Echo and use the money for something far more important? Of course education is important, but let's leave that for now, let's talk gear, because I didn't say I was bored or needed to learn something, but that I had GAS. ..

My current home studio / music writing / music production room looks like this:

Computer
- Macbook Pro 2015 15"
- 27" HP External Display

Audio Interface
- Apollo Twin Duo mkII

AD/DA Converter
- RME ADI-8 DS

Effects
- Eventide Time Factor
- Aphex Exciter Type C Big Bottom
- A couple of simple pedals for delay/chorus/drive

Monitors
- Behringer Truth B3031A

Synthesizers
- Dave Smith Instruments Prophet Rev 2
- Roland Juno 106 (this is by far the instrument that gets the most love right now!)

Guitars
- Gibson Les Paul Traditional
- Fender Stratocaster (Mexico)

Amp
- Vox AC30 CC

Microphones
- SM58 (I've actually got two)
- SM57
- sE x1
- Studio Projects B1

Drums
- Roland TD-9

Treatment
Still building on my acoustic treatments, got 4 corner bass traps from GIKAcoustics (covering 2 corners) and three home built 4 inch rectangular absorbers.

I will continue build to the acoustic treatments bit by bit with it's separate budget and purchase plan, this thread is for gear and I'm just looking for advice because I feel I've got some cash that I'd like to spend, I've got my ideas but I would like to hear what you would have bought in my place, considering you were in my shoes... As in being a songwriter/artist, that is not trying to get his home studio sounding like a professional studio for mixing, more like a perfect place to get the ideas done and inspiration flowing, making professional recordings and productions and sure, doing some really nice mixes but that will probably be taken to a real professional for the final touches when the song is done and it's decided that it will be released.

Thank you guys!
Old 14th June 2018
Firstly I would acoustically treat your room . Confirm what you are hearing is balanced and the spectrum of your recordings isn't too bottom heavy or bottom light.

Then considering the current gear you posses I would think about getting a good hi-end tube preamp to record your keyboards and/or vocals through.
That doesn't mean you need to record everything though it .Get to know the sound first and then you'll know where to apply it.
Something that allows you to adjust the amount of coloration would be most useful.
Old 14th June 2018
Here for the gear
I would definitely go for new monitors. Even if you are not focusing on mixing, there are alot of speakers that are more inspiring to work on than those.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

I see allot of these posts where people ask what they should buy or upgrade too. Its like, How on earth would anybody be able to tell you what you could possibly need if they don't have some clue to what you are capable of doing. Have you posted examples of the work you've done to date? What's holding you back with the gear you currently have? Do you actually trust some stranger who wouldn't know you from Adam to advise you on how to spend your money? Really? As far as you know the advice you get could easily be from some salesman looking to cash in on that bankroll you're flashing around.

Wise up man, really. You got a problem be specific. Learn your trade and you shouldn't need anyone to tell you what to buy. Heck I got into recording I made sure I knew enough to where I could make those decisions for myself. I might ask peoples advice once I have everything narrowed down to a few possibilities or maybe I needed some guidance on really specific things but even then, I'm the guy spending the money, I take the responsibility on what I buy. If I make stupid choices because I didn't do a good job looking up on how well it works then I only have myself to blame. The few times I make mistakes, its typically because I impulse bought and didn't take the time and look up the dirt on it. I also didn't read the manual on the gear before buying either. I could have avoided those mistakes by simply looking to see what problems people had and chances are the issues I had were the same.

I'm of course being a bit callous here but for good reason. If you don't "Know" where your weak areas are and know what gear is failing to do the job, then I have to simply say you are clueless and buying blind. You shouldn't be spending a dime before you are able to verify exactly where your bottlenecks are.

If I were to guess based on the gear you have now your problem probably doesn't have anything to do with the gear you have already.
Of course I have no idea of what kind of music you record or your musical skill levels. If you've worked with bands and played live 5~20 years then the odds are you know something about making music and musical arrangements. If you aren't happy with the recording results then it may simply be how you are using the gear, or mixing what you capture.

Typically recording requires just as many hours put in as you would playing an instrument to become efficient. I see so many people get discouraged and come to find they have all this great gear and haven't even gotten past their first few recordings yet. Its like, come on man, how long did you play an instrument before people stopped sticking their fingers in their ears and actually begin to enjoy what you were playing? Given the numbers of students I've taught I know it takes at least 5 years performing a good 8 hours a day before you even have what it takes to sound good. Recording is nearly identical.

Doesn't matter if you been performing live for 25 years either. You may think your musician skills are so good your experience transfers over to audio recording, but other then a few minor things it really doesn't. If anything there are more things there that can impede your ability to track or mix well then you realize. The final results don't lie however. You essentially have to start from scratch and expect to spend about 5 years working at it before you can produce any kind of reliable results. You will of course have the occasional success just like you did learning to play your instrument, but building confidence only comes when you Know you can do the job time after time to where the failures are the exception, not the successes.

What would you need to upgrade to? I have no idea and unless you make a list of issues you're currently having, I wouldn't even begin to advise you on what you might need. I'd only say, if you cant make some dam fine recordings with the gear you have already, you wont find what you're looking for buying more gear. You have what you need to make great recordings. What you need you cant buy at ant cost. Maybe if you had someone to mentor you you could save some time getting there. Otherwise you simply have to slug it out till you start getting it right. Then when you find you cant make that gear do any more then it can, you might want to think about upgrading. Not before.
Old 15th June 2018
Gear Maniac

<<I see allot of these posts where people ask what they should buy or upgrade too. Its like, How on earth would anybody be able to tell you what you could possibly need if they don't have some clue to what you are capable of doing. Have you posted examples of the work you've done to date? What's holding you back with the gear you currently have? Do you actually trust some stranger who wouldn't know you from Adam to advise you on how to spend your money? Really? As far as you know the advice you get could easily be from some salesman looking to cash in on that bankroll you're flashing around. >> etc etc. excellent post.

This is the best answer I've heard all internet.
Old 15th June 2018
Gear Nut

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this thread..

I've been in the thoughts of a nice preamp and even a channelstrip after another recommendation here on gearslutz.

Wrgkmc: I am researching this because my experience is that when I've researched stuff on my own, when I've read the ****ing manual before buying with gear that I believe will fit just right, I've always realized it was not a good fit at all! I don't trust my ability to imagine which things is needed in my workflow because I've been wrong many times.

I understand your advice here but the thing is, I wouldn't buy C because 10 people here recommend it (okay probably would if 10 out of 10 people recommended it) but I would do my best to get a chance to try it out after I've read the manual and then make the decision.

I'm not looking for a shopping list I'm looking for ideas that after I've looked into them would maybe go to a shopping list. You see the difference?
I'd much rather trust you with the recommendations than myself because I've been wrong so many times.

I finally just realized that I'm able to make songs with what I've got (except it would be a good idea to get an analog drum machine for when that is wanted, or just to play around with drum beats).

So what preamp would you guys recommend to take a look at that is beneath €1000, buy used or new?

New monitored I believe is even more important as well, mine has served me really good all those years but the thing is, I just recently started treating my room and Ive not had a chance to try other monitors to actually hear the difference in the audio. Therefore I'd like to know what's out there.
So that I can try to try them out and look up more things about them. I cannot start researching every monitor there is right? Who does got time for that? Should I buy monitors used or new? I've heard such different opinions about it..
Old 15th June 2018
Gear Nut

I can surely provide some music I've been working on.. at work now but during the weekend to see if that makes it easier to "hear" what's missing..

And again, I would be able to make an album without buying any more gear, I've done it before (released a 12" and a 7"), but all sound engineering was done by a mixing engineer and all mastering was done by a mastering engineer. I would just like to be able to get closer to the results I want by myself so that I've got better chances of getting a song that sounds just as I want it.. Of course the skill is what makes this possible but I'm order for me to gain and learn that skill I'll need have tools I feel and find fun to use and simple enough to learn and not give up on. And I'm having a hard time learning through software, doesn't mean I only need hardware in my setup, but it means I better learn how to use tools if I'm able to twist knobs or pull sliders rather than using a mouse.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 15th June 2018
Gear Nut

None that has something more to input? Like which preamp could be worth checking out?

Which monitors that are worth getting in my price range?

Secondhand? New?
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

Focus on music, not on gear.

Gear is just junk.
Old 15th June 2018
with 4000 I'd build an unbelivably giant QRD 1D diffuser, the width of the entire room, and get ron swanson to help me make it, then we'd go out drinking whiskey until 8am, cheers.
Old 16th June 2018
Gear Nut

Can people stop being so boring "focus on music not gear".. Come on gear is one thing and gear is a complement to making great music.

I'm not saying gear is necessary to making good music but there's a reason why people upgrade their stuff and get better monitors, better microphones. Hardware compressors in different flavors and so on... I'm sure that most good songs would have been good if they were remade on cheap and maybe even awful gear but good gear can inspire, I'm not saying what I have is not enough I'm saying I would like to spend my hard earned money to see what I can gain from it, what I can learn, what I can come up with using that gear. I understand that pro studios has to have the best gear to attract clients and that it at best can provide a 5% increase in quality or whatever you want to call it. But I'm not talking about getting that pro gear I'm talking about prosumer grade gear. If that is totally unnecessary.. I'd like to know what you are doing on Gearslutz? And especially in this sub-forum.
Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratriplel View Post
Can people stop being so boring "focus on music not gear".. Come on gear is one thing and gear is a complement to making great music.

I'm not saying gear is necessary to making good music but there's a reason why people upgrade their stuff and get better monitors, better microphones. Hardware compressors in different flavors and so on... I'm sure that most good songs would have been good if they were remade on cheap and maybe even awful gear but good gear can inspire, I'm not saying what I have is not enough I'm saying I would like to spend my hard earned money to see what I can gain from it, what I can learn, what I can come up with using that gear. I understand that pro studios has to have the best gear to attract clients and that it at best can provide a 5% increase in quality or whatever you want to call it. But I'm not talking about getting that pro gear I'm talking about prosumer grade gear. If that is totally unnecessary.. I'd like to know what you are doing on Gearslutz? And especially in this sub-forum.
To me the people are the pro part not the gear.

I have the luxury to share studios with much more succesful and talented people than myself so I cant blame the gear since they are using the same stuff.

When I started to read this forum it was much more about using stuff, now its much more about buying more stuff.
Old 16th June 2018
Gear Nut

That's exactly what I said. It is all skills, though the skilled people seems to prefer the more expensive pro gear which must be for a certain reason and not that they've run out of space to store their money.

Understand what I mean? Someone skilled can perform great on cheap gear but they prefer better and more expensive stuff.

I want to become better at music and I'd love to ask questions about gear but since right now I feel I would like to buy gear that I can try to learn and ask questions about.

Blame it on my diagnoses or whatever you want but I don't like tweaking on the computer and find it really hard to learn to use tools by using a mouse / trackpad. Sure I can push myself for sitting and tweaking the compressor or whatever but it's not something I can get used to.

Take synthesizers for example. I just could not get my head around synthesis. As soon as i begun giving synthesis a chance on real hardware synths it took me a couple of hours on a couple of days to get the basic idea and today I feel fairly confident. It's so much easier to actually listen and stop looking when there's hardware. Just like a completely different focus on what I'm doing.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search