The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Bus Compressor X-Logic (analog) vs. Waves SSL Bus Comp (plugin) Dynamics Plugins
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Addict

SSL Bus Compressor X-Logic (analog) vs. Waves SSL Bus Comp (plugin)

If any difference, what are the differences?
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

I haven't compared the two directly but I've compared the Waves SSL with a number of other plugins, and then some plugins with a stam G-bus comp.

Among the plugins (haven't tried the duende yet), the waves sounded the cleanest and less exciting, not squashy, punchy, slammy, smashy...
It sounded quite a bit like you'd expect a clean digital comp to sound.
Among the plugins I tried, the NI Solid bus comp won, for that one was the most squashy, punchy sounding, it sounded like you really were compressing stuff in an exaggerated way when you were doing so.
The stam was mainly more punchy than the plugins, not much about warmth and mojo, the transient sounded more alive, less damped.

I can only imagine the X-Logic bus comp will be most similar to the stam, so there you have it.
There's a video on youtube that compares some plugins with the stam, that'll probably give you a fair enough idea.
Old 15th June 2018
Big difference, I have both and if you have a serious studio, it's worth the difference. If your studio is for fun, the Waves version is fine. The SSl is punchier and snappier than the Waves

Last edited by Jason rocks; 15th June 2018 at 04:19 AM..
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

It’s hard to quantify exactly, but I think that the Waves thing gets smaller sounding with more gain reduction much quicker.

That said, if it’s on 29 buck sale it may be “worth it”, especially if you have taken the time to demo it and like it.

I’ve used the UAD and the other SSL brand version, and don’t think either is particularly better. They all miss the mark about equally, but can kind of knock a mix or sub mix into shape if you don’t ask too much of it.

I usually turn to other things first though...mode III of MJUC / the “sheen” mix preset has a lot of the SSL vibe to me.

(Though I pretty much always have an Audioscape ssl clone on my stereo bus nowdays.)
Old 19th June 2018
Here for the gear

you can have an idea here:

YouTube

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search