The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help Me find a new microphone? Condenser Microphones
Old 13th June 2018
Here for the gear

Help Me find a new microphone?

Hey all!

I'm looking for a new microphone to take my recording sound to the next level, here is an example of my vocals:

Spotify Web Player - Let Me Go - Ben Botfield

Ideally I'd like it to be suitable for tracking acoustic guitar too, but this isn't a dealbreaker.

I'm just looking for something that gives me a little more "presence" and that upfront vocal sound you hear on so much commercial music at the moment, my current microphone is the aston origin and my interface is the audient ID14.

My budget is around $1000 and I've been toying with the idea of a blue kiwi for a while, but I live in the UK and they're not easy to find used and new they are out of my budget. Would love to receive any suggestions you guys might have!

Ben
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
Hey all!

I'm looking for a new microphone to take my recording sound to the next level, here is an example of my vocals:

Ideally I'd like it to be suitable for tracking acoustic guitar too, but this isn't a dealbreaker.

I'm just looking for something that gives me a little more "presence" and that upfront vocal sound you hear on so much commercial music at the moment, my current microphone is the aston origin and my interface is the audient ID14.

My budget is around $1000 and I've been toying with the idea of a blue kiwi for a while, but I live in the UK and they're not easy to find used and new they are out of my budget. Would love to receive any suggestions you guys might have!

Ben
I`m not a Spotify user, so I can`t hear it. In that range, I`d say a Rode NT2A. Buy a used one, they are built like tanks and can be used on anything. It`s a fantastic mic for the price.
Old 14th June 2018
If you can stretch your budget a bit consider an AT4047 .
Also good to refine the room you're recording in - sound proofing , absorption etc.
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Head

That "upfront" vocal sound is more the result of the compression than the tonality of the mic.

I've gotten a good "upfront" sound out of lots of mics by using Fabfilter Pro-C doing 5-15db of fast and aggressive parallel compression.

But back to the mic: The Aston Origin, from the clips I've heard, is a really excellent mic, but it might be a little too smooth for modern vocal work. Audio Technica makes really good mics in your price range, one commenter suggested the 4047 and I think the 4033 is also worth trying.

Honestly there are hundreds of microphones which could do an admirable job in your studio, you just need to try a few contenders to find one.

You might want to hit up an audio gear dealer and see if you can demo 3 or 4 microphones at your place.
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hey all!

Ben
Surprised you price in $ when you are in the UK and would buy in £.

The Gefell M930 should be on your list to try - both The Studio Shop and KMR in London have these on demo - as well as other mics to compare with.

If you can get to London I would suggest contacting either of these and arrange a testing session with whatever mics end up on your short list.

The Studio Shop have a small working studio at the back of the shop which would help with the trial.
Old 14th June 2018
Here for the gear

Thank you for all the replies, some good suggestions!

John--fair point, well made. Haha, yeah I was thinking that there is a big American user base on this site, but i should have definitely included the sterling price too.

I'm not averse to trying to go for something used, anything in that category that would be worth looking out for?
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

IMHO put the AEA N22 ribbon on your shortlist.
That'll take EQing like a champ too.

Beautiful high tenor voice BTW!

Chris
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:

John--fair point, well made. Haha, yeah I was thinking that there is a big American user base on this site, but i should have definitely included the sterling price too.

I'm not averse to trying to go for something used, anything in that category that would be worth looking out for?
The problem about someone in the UK mentioning US$ prices is that the US price can have no relation to the UK price in £ - ignore the exchange rate - something at $ 1,000 is normally £ 1,000 in the UK (even though the exchange rate says $ 1,000 = £ 757).

Unless your budget really *is* £ 1,000 ?
Old 14th June 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Quote:

The problem about someone in the UK mentioning US$ prices is that the US price can have no relation to the UK price in £ - ignore the exchange rate - something at $ 1,000 is normally £ 1,000 in the UK (even though the exchange rate says $ 1,000 = £ 757).

Unless your budget really *is* £ 1,000 ?
I just put my budget at £700 and then rounded up the google conversion to a neat $1000, but i'd say my budget is around £7-800.
Old 14th June 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
IMHO put the AEA N22 ribbon on your shortlist.
That'll take EQing like a champ too.

Beautiful high tenor voice BTW!

Chris

Thank you man! Checking this out as we speak, definitely adding it to the shortlist.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Good point John.

MG had a booth at the last NAMM show, and they were kind enough to let me try out (sing through) the M930. I thought it sounded VERY nice indeed.

It was on my short list to consider of excellent "under $1000" vocal microphones, along with the N22 ($900 in USA). Until... I won a Bock Soundelux U195 there!

Feel free to correct if I have any misunderstanding, but the current M930 has a Mylar diaphragm?

Sure thang Ben. Important to acknowledge other people's gifts.

Chris
Old 15th June 2018
Gear Maniac

MG M930 is really nice on vocals, and it would perfectly fit your $1k budget.
Old 15th June 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Good point John.

MG had a booth at the last NAMM show, and they were kind enough to let me try out (sing through) the M930. I thought it sounded VERY nice indeed.
I have actually bought a pair of the M930 to add to my personal mic. kit (full list in the mic kit thread).

Quote:
Feel free to correct if I have any misunderstanding, but the current M930 has a Mylar diaphragm?
Yes - Gefell currently make 3 LDC capsules:
  • The Georg Neumann M7 PVC capsule used in the UM 900, UM 92.1S, M 92.1S, UMT 70S, MT 71S & UMT 800.
  • The Mylar capsule used in the M 930, M 940, M 950, M 930Ts, M 1030, UM 930, UM 930 Twin & M 990.
  • The ceramic LDC capsule used in the M 900 & M 910.
Old 15th June 2018
neumann tlm193 is a good one in that price range, but if you want more 'presence' then the TLM103 is a better choice, and gefell are definitely a step up in terms of quality, if you can afford a Gefell go for it.
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

MA200 has been my favourite among the many, many microphones that I've tried in my studio (I haven't tried any mics over $2000).
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
to take my recording sound to the next level
- Room acoustics
- Better mixing
- Better monitoring ?

Your singing is very good. Lot's of potential
But, I'm not sure another mic is gonna be your best bet.
Old 15th June 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
- Room acoustics
- Better mixing
- Better monitoring ?

Your singing is very good. Lot's of potential
But, I'm not sure another mic is gonna be your best bet.

Do you not think the mixing was very good on the track I linked to?
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you not think the mixing was very good on the track I linked to?
Lo mid resonance on the guitar?
0.10: There's an artifact
Vocal sounds a little harsh in top here

First thing that crossed my min was room acoustics problems,
and then I guess that goes for monitoring as well,
which translates to mix-problems.

Voice and guitar is a very naked and delicate thing to record.

But, the good things: Singing, arranging, songwriting and performance is very good. It's hard doing everything and doing it good

If you have any chance of improving your room,
this would yield biggest results I believe. m2c
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

I would keep an eye out for a used Lewitt LCT 940, tested one and thought it was really quite the mic for the money, even new. I have seen them used in the range you are looking to spend.

Last edited by Crash; 15th June 2018 at 08:49 PM..
Old 15th June 2018
Gear Head

Lawson FET47?
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks John W., for the MG capsule clarification.

Chris
Old 18th June 2018
Gear Head

My 2 cts:

WeissKlang V17 (weissklang.com)

I have many mics in my locker ranging from Neumann to Mojave.
The V17 is top notch, never had a better mic, and Gearnews just ranked it among the Top 5 mics.
For that price a real no-brainer.

Best.
George
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search