The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mix With The Masters OR Puremix...?
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

Mix With The Masters OR Puremix...?

Hi! The obvious answer is of course both!

But...for anyone who has been a member of both...can you chime in on some of your experiences? How would you describe each?

I’m wanting to eventually do both...but want to start with just one. They both look fantastic...mostly interested in learning more about mixing techniques, ITB but also hardware tips are cool. Really just want inspiration and to learn from my mixing hero’s!!!

Thanks all!
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Find a mixer you like and then go with a tutorial that has raw tracks to practice with. Having the raw material to practice I've found way more valuable than just listening to someone talk.

I realize this doesn't directly answer your question, but I think who you learn from is more important than which site you go to.
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Maniac

MWTM is the best.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Also, you want to evaluate the amount of content already available and their rate of release for new material.

I got a free 5 day Pro subscription to Puremix with a plug-in I bought.

Puremix is fantastic. It has already helped me a lot.
Fab's presentation style and methodology is super accessible and entertaining, as well as being on the money.
But they do not release enough content to justify their price tag.

$25 per month is fine, if you could choose a rolling monthly subscription, but I find it a little cynical that you have no option other than to commit to a full year with absolutely no guarantee that you will get your money's worth - in fact I assume this is why you have to subscribe this way - because they know that people would only subscribe for a month here and a month there, when useful content pops up.

In 5 days I had already been through all the relevant Pro videos.

You have to be a pro member to enter competitions, but you can access the multi-tracks for those competitions without being a member.
That is very good of them, and you won't find better multi-tracks anywhere.

As soon as they allow people to sign up for less than a year (and I don't mean via the massively over-inflated cost of their 3 and 6 month upfront subscriptions), then I will be on board, but I'm not going to commit $300 for a handful of videos and no guarantees about quantities of new material being released over the subscription period.

I don't want to be too critical, because Puremix is defo in the top 3 sites out there, and if I thought I would get my money's worth every month, then I would pay no problem.

The worst I've seen is the Alan Parsons thing: I got a notification in my inbox the other day, where his site was asking for $900 for ten multi-tracks (!) of his own vanity project songs, which let's be honest, have very limited appeal.

I don't get that at all. Is he trying to subvert the streaming services and make money from his own music this way??

So out of touch.
Old 25th July 2018
Lives for gear

I wanted to update this thread and eat my words slightly..

I just got a year's subscription, and feel I got my money's worth almost the same day.
It might not seem (well it didn't to me) that there was enough content to justify signing up for a year, but the videos contain so much useful information that each one is worth several of most others.

So, I hereby recommend it if you were on the fence like I was.
You won't be disappointed.

Thank you to Fab and the team there for creating this goldmine.
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks for chiming back in with that! I ended up getting a 3 month subscription to Puremix a few days ago, and already feel it's worth it. Wow...great content. Having a blast so far. I plan to watch as many as I can over the next 3 months...take a break and then either come back when they have more I want to see...or check out mix with the masters.

Wonderful times we live in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
I wanted to update this thread and eat my words slightly..

I just got a year's subscription, and feel I got my money's worth almost the same day.
It might not seem (well it didn't to me) that there was enough content to justify signing up for a year, but the videos contain so much useful information that each one is worth several of most others.

So, I hereby recommend it if you were on the fence like I was.
You won't be disappointed.

Thank you to Fab and the team there for creating this goldmine.
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

I got the year one because I want to take part in as many mixing competitions as I can - the best multi-tracks in the business come from those competitions.

You can still access the multitracks without an active subscription, which is cool of them, but you can't enter the contests.

There's only one thing in the videos that could, for my taste/ears be implemented a bit better, and that is when they A/B tracks with/without processing.
At the moment they'll play it one way, then transport back to the beginning of the section, turn processing on, then play again, then some talking, then transport back, then play again.

I'd love to hear those transitions seamlessly.
So instead of playing a 10 sec clip without, then back to beginning, activating plugs and playing the same clip with, it would be more beneficial in my mind if that 10 sec was 5 secs of dry, then 5 secs of wet, without interruption.
Just flipping the fx on when it's playing.
You then have the time to do that twice, which is also a bonus.
All the talking and transporting and manually flipping plugins on and off between versions makes it difficult to keep the previous sound in your head long enough to really appreciate the more subtle differences.

But that's literally the only thing I would change, and maybe I'm in a minority that think that way anyway.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post

In 5 days I had already been through all the relevant Pro videos.
Hi Quetz!
Thank you for sharing!

So in 5 days you really went through all of these:
Full Mixes Tutorials | pureMix.net
?????

You must have been hard at work. :-) :-)

pureMix is always trying to get better and offer the best education.
We are currently ramping up in order to offer our Pro Members more services, tools and learning material.

ANY feedback is welcome. So please do share.
Even if it is about the site, the search function, the mixing competitions etc...

Cheers cheers.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Been watching a few of Warren Huart's tutorials (Produce Like a Pro) on the u-toobz lately.
In just a few weeks I've picked so many cool tricks I would have otherwise never thought of.

His tone and delivery are great, but it's his explanation of why he does a certain move that got me interested in seeing more.
He also seems like a genuinely nice chap, entertaining to watch and listen to.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here is some feedback. How about more relevant content? It's already September and I have yet to note any real value video content this year. It's clear that you do not have the content and what you have you are spoon feeding out only every 1-2 months. Spare me the lame articles with content that I can find for free all over the net.

And Fab's weekly crap email...

Very doubtful I will re-subscribe. Value is just not really there unless your a novice or a bedroom wank-er. Value is few and far between if your already above basic skill level.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by puremix.net View Post
Hi Quetz!
Thank you for sharing!

So in 5 days you really went through all of these:
Full Mixes Tutorials | pureMix.net
?????

You must have been hard at work. :-) :-)
Well, yes and no

I watched a few of the ones that were for me genre-specific/interesting, and then extrapolated the rest over time, which on the surface didn't seem like much 'content', but this is why I corrected myself.
The value as I see it goes way beyond the premise for an article, which is why I don't agree with AudioGaff's views, which I think are completely over the top and unnecessarily aggressive.

This is not a process whereby you watch a video/read an article, 'learn something' then move on to the next 'thing to be learned'.
These are Tutorials for the most part, remember.
If you're the kind of person that watches a video of Andrew Scheps/Ryan Hewitt/Fab Dupont explaining their approach and comes away saying 'yeah yeah I know all that' then maybe you don't need any more videos, you just need more time mixing.

I am a novice, and for me, to hear about the more esoteric side of the process in terms of how sound is perceived and approached, and in so much detail, is incredibly helpful, because it has already taught me how much a mix will be shaped by attitude and philosophy/visualisation and imagination, before anything has actually been done, and then being shown how to use the tools we have to achieve that vision, as it were.

For these people to be so generous and candid, it kind of feels like it plugs some of the gaps that exist from not having had an apprenticeship, if you get me.
Now maybe the site is geared towards newer people like me than it is to AudioGaff, but isn't that fine??!
Even if every aspiring engineer subscribed for just one year each in their lifetime, that would still be a great business model!
And I'm sure that there are working professionals that subscribe too, because a lot of these videos are interesting for everybody.
Andrew Scheps is just as unavailable for a chat to the working pro in the studio up the road as he is to me in my bedroom.

I would like to see more frequent mix contests, mainly because I'm quite fickle - I just don't really like the track in the latest one, so doubt I'll bother, but that's probably an attitude problem - I should probably be able to mix stuff without prejudice.
If I ever want to earn any money that is

I'd also like to see more linked recording session/mix file features like the Will Knox Band's 'Cog in the Machine' recording session which was really insightful on its own, but to then have those tracks available to mix was amazing.

Even though we never got the ribbon track for guitar, only the DI!!!

It would be really something though, if you guys could pull off something special for mix contest winners, like a day mixing/learning with one of the contributors.
And in relation to that, the option for non-subscribers to pay for admission to mixing contests would be very cool.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search