The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RND 535 vs others 500 Series Dynamics
Old 13th June 2018
Gear Addict

RND 535 vs others

I’m currently using an IGS ONE LA 500 comp (la2a style), and it sounds great. My only complaint is that it is double wide, and I’m trying to squeeze more stuff in without buying another rack. Also, I would like to have a faster attack sometimes, so combining the features and tone into one unit rather than putting an 1176 style in front of the IGS would be cheaper and simpler, if it’s possible.

I don’t have a ton of experience with different comps, but I really like the girth of the IGS, especially on bass. Does anyone who has used both have any insight on how the RND would sound different, besides the obvious difference in time constants?

I’m looking at the RND because I have the 551 and 542 already, and love them both. The 535 and other diode style comps are often described with similar adjectives as the LA2A style, so it seems like a good place to start.
Old 13th June 2018
It's a great place to start, you already know how great their gear sounds
Old 13th June 2018
Very different sounding compressors.

What is the source and what are you trying to accomplish by using a compressor?

I’d also take a look at the inward Brute if you like opto sounding compressors that fit in one slot. More 3a than 2a but great on vocals.

If you can do 2 spaces, check out the new chandler. It’s amazing on everything but mostly vocals.
Old 13th June 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
If you can do 2 spaces, check out the new chandler. It’s amazing on everything but mostly vocals.
I’ve got two open spaces in my 500 rack and that Chandler TG Opto has been calling my name. The TG stuff has a distinctive tone that really appeals to me. I wonder how well two of these could work together as a poor mans TG1
Old 13th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
Very different sounding compressors.

What is the source and what are you trying to accomplish by using a compressor?

I’d also take a look at the inward Brute if you like opto sounding compressors that fit in one slot. More 3a than 2a but great on vocals.

I’s rather avoid another 2-space unit, but that does of course look nice.

Source is anything really, but I probably get the most mileage on bass guitar and vocals. That’s why I went with the IGS in the first place.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search